The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
I think I love that Irvin guy, especially after watching his interviews and such. Looks focused and truly a changed man. He's gonna add a lot to the team if he makes bigger impact than Curry did.
Original post by munn
i hate to break it to you, but Williams isn't gonna have an input to the sport for at least a couple of years

Is he not even allowed informal contact with the players? :eek:

Either way, I think Jenkins will turn out fine. We're reportedly meant to be keeping a short leash on him with phone calls everyday and visits every so often.

He seems like a genuine guy anyway and seems remorseful to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Troll Toll
Can't understand why that is upsetting for anyone. He's a ****e coach even without the bounty thing.

Saints did ok with him.
This video about Chandler Jones and his family is really good, kids been through a lot hope he is a success with the Pats.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Competition-drives-the-Jones-brothers/f575abb0-b21f-4158-a269-97aa8f3dfc70
Reply 4064
How do transfers work in the NFL?

I heard that the team that finishes last gets the first pick of the best young players and the team that finishes first gets the last pick of the best young players.

This sounds much fairer than the transfer system in football where the big clubs poach all the best players from the small clubs.

Can players directly transfer between NFL clubs?
Reply 4065
Original post by TRS-T
How do transfers work in the NFL?

I heard that the team that finishes last gets the first pick of the best young players and the team that finishes first gets the last pick of the best young players.

This sounds much fairer than the transfer system in football where the big clubs poach all the best players from the small clubs.

Can players directly transfer between NFL clubs?

There's 3 main ways:

NFL Draft - What you mentioned, teams pick players leaving the college system. Worst teams pick first, best teams pick last.

Free Agency - Teams sign players who don't have a contract, either after the player's contract has run out or their team's released him.

Trades - Teams trade players or draft picks.
Reply 4066
Original post by Mufasaa
There's 3 main ways:

NFL Draft - What you mentioned, teams pick players leaving the college system. Worst teams pick first, best teams pick last.

Free Agency - Teams sign players who don't have a contract, either after the player's contract has run out or their team's released him.

Trades - Teams trade players or draft picks.

Is it fairer than football then?

Or do the better teams still end up getting their hands on the better players?
Reply 4067
Original post by TRS-T
Is it fairer than football then?

Or do the better teams still end up getting their hands on the better players?

It is a lot fairer, the main reasons for that would be the salary cap and that about 70% of revenue is shared equally between clubs.

The best free agents tend to go to teams that look like they're going to be good soon/middle of the pack teams, for the simple fact that usually the best teams stick with what they've got and pick up any players they need in the draft. More often than not they simply can't afford the best players either, thanks to the salary cap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4068
Original post by Mufasaa
It is a lot fairer, the main reasons for that would be the salary cap and that about 70% of revenue is shared equally between clubs.

The best free agents tend to go to teams that look like they're going to be good soon/middle of the pack teams, for the simple fact that usually the best teams stick with what they've got and pick up any players they need in the draft. More often than not they simply can't afford the best players either, thanks to the salary cap.

So if you in the draft, you have to go to whichever team picks you?

And does the salary cap mean that every player gets the same wage?
Reply 4069
Original post by TRS-T
So if you in the draft, you have to go to whichever team picks you?

And does the salary cap mean that every player gets the same wage?

You do have to go to whoever drafts you, but there are very rarely times when players have forced a trade (Eli Manning for Philip Rivers being the most recent, in 2004).

Nope, players can be paid anything over the minimum wage (which is about $400,000).
Reply 4070
Junior Seau's been found dead after a gunshot in his house. RIP. :frown:
Original post by Mufasaa
Junior Seau's been found dead after a gunshot in his house. RIP. :frown:

Woah serious? That's terrible news RIP
Reply 4072
Original post by Tokyoround
Woah serious? That's terrible news RIP

Yep, TMZ reporting it citing several police sources. :frown:
Big suspensions for Saints players. Vilma's career could be over...

People are comparing to Spygate but they are just not comparable IMO. Pats recorded practices, Saints actively tried to end opposition player's careers. They deserved harsher punishments than the Pats got, but they didn't deserve the suspensions they got. Hope they get reduced on appeal.
Reply 4075
Apparently Matt Flynn has been unbelievable during first practices.
Reply 4076
Original post by quadsas
Apparently Matt Flynn has been unbelievable during first practices.

where have you heard that?
everything I've read is saying there's not too much between him and Jackson, with Flynn posting better accuracy and Jackson a stronger arm.
Reply 4077
Original post by munn
where have you heard that?
everything I've read is saying there's not too much between him and Jackson, with Flynn posting better accuracy and Jackson a stronger arm.

Read on seahawks.net. Supposedly his accuracy has not been just "better than tjaxx", but, as I said, superb. Obviously, it was just like 45 minutes mini practice, no reason to get carried away. But either way, it's been a while since I've been so excited for an NFL season, and I can't effing wait.

Move to UK + Seahawks + Lithuanians in NBA = best year ever, probably.
Suggs tearing his ACL will be a huge blow for the Ravens. Hopefully he'll be back to playing form soon enough, but I'm afraid with his age this could be the beginning of the end of Suggs' brilliant, Hall of Fame-worthy career.
(edited 11 years ago)
Patriots looking extremely dangerous at this point.

Great off-season so far. A great team just got better and our schedule is hardly taxing. 14-2 is a realistic aim this year.