The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
I have an offer for biological sciences, need AAB ... predicted AAA but that's not gonna happen, ABB more likely, just hoping they'll let me in anyway! And I've applied for Charles Morris hall :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by lauren_lfc
Can you not put more than one choice? I thought you could put other options incase you didn't get your first choice.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No you just choose one then fill in a few questions about what you'd prefer if its unavailable... :/
Original post by BeccaCath94
No you just choose one then fill in a few questions about what you'd prefer if its unavailable... :/

Oh that's a bit crap then lol. Hope I get where I want, couldn't cope living somewhere I didn't like especially if it was shared bathroom lol.

Original post by lauren_lfc
Oh that's a bit crap then lol. Hope I get where I want, couldn't cope living somewhere I didn't like especially if it was shared bathroom lol.

Same!! :/
Fingers crossed!
Same!! :/
Fingers crossed!

With regards to the shared bathroom: think about this. How many people have you had to share your bathroom with at home for your entire life?
Original post by Muffinz
With regards to the shared bathroom: think about this. How many people have you had to share your bathroom with at home for your entire life?

Exactly.

Ensuite is a complete and utter waste of money.
Original post by Muffinz

I know but thats different...sharing it with family or strangers?
I know but thats different...sharing it with family or strangers?

They're not strangers once you've met them. :smile: Honestly, it's just like sharing a bathroom with your family.
Reply 1408
I was really funny about en-suite too but since I'll be on a fairly low budget I've decided to go for NHC which has a bathroom between 4 :smile:
In your second year you'll probably be sharing a bathroom in a house anyway so I figured I'd get used to it now :P
Reply 1409
Original post by krisna
heyyy im thinking to apply there too, it looks really nice doesnt it. and its on campus right? are you getting cattered or self cattered?

Yeah I went for Devonshire because it's really close to campus and has good facilities (and the pictures looked nice..!)
I'm going self-catered, thought it gave more freedom and if you want to eat at Devonshire you can just go down at meal times and pay each time which is always a good option if you can't be bothered to cook for an evening :smile:
Reply 1410
Original post by CRW23
Yeah I went for Devonshire because it's really close to campus and has good facilities (and the pictures looked nice..!)
I'm going self-catered, thought it gave more freedom and if you want to eat at Devonshire you can just go down at meal times and pay each time which is always a good option if you can't be bothered to cook for an evening :smile:

I've applied to Devonshire self-catered too :smile:
Its annoying how you can't put a reserve down and they just allocate one for you... :/

But wouldn't it be more annoying if you put a reserve down and didn't get that either? If you look at the example of the person who's trying to decide between James Baillie, Devonshire and Henry Price - say we gave 3 choices and they put those down in that order. They're all oversubscribed so if they didn't get into their first choice, it's unlikely they'd get into their second because that would fill up with people who had put it as their first choice.
So then we're left with a situation where they feel aggrieved because they didn't get any of their 3 choices and we have no idea which of the places that are left to put them in - would they prefer Clarence Dock because it's en suite or would they prefer Montague Burton because it's closer?
There is no perfect way of doing this - everybody who doesn't get their preference thinks the system is unfair and I get many suggestions as to how it should operate. But as long as there are some places that are higher demand than others (and I don't think there's a university in the country where every residence is of equal demand), some people will be allocated a residence that they didn't choose.
Incidentally, once everyone's moved in, a lot of those people end up thinking that the residence where they do end up is better than the one they originally chose and most of the rest of them don't even stop to think about it because they're having such a good time. And for the minority that really don't like where they end up, we have a transfer system so they can move to another university residence when vacancies come up.
Reply 1412
I'm consdering applying for the Drama and Theatre course at Leeds University. Just wondering, is there anyone doing the course at the moment on the forums?
Original post by accomoffice
But wouldn't it be more annoying if you put a reserve down and didn't get that either? If you look at the example of the person who's trying to decide between James Baillie, Devonshire and Henry Price - say we gave 3 choices and they put those down in that order. They're all oversubscribed so if they didn't get into their first choice, it's unlikely they'd get into their second because that would fill up with people who had put it as their first choice.
So then we're left with a situation where they feel aggrieved because they didn't get any of their 3 choices and we have no idea which of the places that are left to put them in - would they prefer Clarence Dock because it's en suite or would they prefer Montague Burton because it's closer?
There is no perfect way of doing this - everybody who doesn't get their preference thinks the system is unfair and I get many suggestions as to how it should operate. But as long as there are some places that are higher demand than others (and I don't think there's a university in the country where every residence is of equal demand), some people will be allocated a residence that they didn't choose.
Incidentally, once everyone's moved in, a lot of those people end up thinking that the residence where they do end up is better than the one they originally chose and most of the rest of them don't even stop to think about it because they're having such a good time. And for the minority that really don't like where they end up, we have a transfer system so they can move to another university residence when vacancies come up.

No, I totally understand all this and that you can never please everyone.
Sorry if I sounded angry!
But I was just comparing it to other unis where you choose 2 options...
I'm sure everything always works out fine in the end.
Is Lupton usually oversubscribed?
Original post by Dangermoose
Is Lupton usually oversubscribed?

Incredibly undersubscribed.
Original post by Muffinz
Incredibly undersubscribed.

Perfeck!
How come it's undersubscribed?
Original post by Dangermoose
Perfeck!
How come it's undersubscribed?

It's basic and it's seen as a bit of a trek from campus. You can make the walk from Lupton to Campus in 20mins in you powerwalk it.
Hiya, is the tannery usually over or under subscribed? Would be good to know if I have a good chance of getting the residence I want :smile:

Original post by Muffinz
It's basic and it's seen as a bit of a trek from campus. You can make the walk from Lupton to Campus in 20mins in you powerwalk it.

Sounds fine to me. It's one of the cheapest too right?

Quick Reply

Latest