The Student Room Group

The stupidest thing a non-fan/casual has ever said to you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My brother (non-fan) while I was watching the Euros : I thought Balotelli played for Man City?
Me : He does
Him : So why is he playing for Italy?
Me : Just **** off
Reply 21
Original post by DaveSmith99
Not really, if you're a united fan why would you want a scarf with a city badge on?

Arent they usually more like a "matchday" scarf, with the date on it and everything?

I can see why people would buy those. They show that you were there in a more presentable way than the ticket, and who knows, the match might turn out to be a historic one, and you could wear the scarf for future matches.
Casual Arsenal fan:''Wenger out''
Season ticket holder:''GTFO''
Reply 23
Original post by Whitechapel
Wait, wait wait. So you're telling me football teams... do NOT need managers?

I don't think Barcelona or Spain really need tactics explaining to them lol.
My sister: I support Crystal Palace.
Me: Wait? What? Since when did you care about football? And why Crystal Palace?
My sister: Since [The League Cup Final 2012] last week. I wanted Cardiff to win.
Me: So why CP?
My sister: Because, I like crystals and i like palaces. :yep:
Me: :facepalm:
Reply 25
Original post by CJG21
Stupid Fan: I hope argentina win the Euros. Messi will be awesome.

Go to 7.35 and 7.53 on the vid.

:rofl:
Reply 26
Casual fan: The better team is the team that "hits" the most goals

Non-fan: no, its the team that wins.
My Dad says some pretty funny stuff.

When he saw Fellaini in the Euros "What...is that a hat?!" To be fair though, his hair is pretty shocking.

Also when my Mum got excited about Gerrard being picked as captain he said "Well don't they all take it in turns"...

About Roy Hodgson "Is that the manager? He doesn't look like a manager"

And when England were about to go out "Who's he? (Talking about Joe Hart) Is he the first aider or something?" Assuming this was because he was wearing a different kit to the rest.

Now whenever he goes to make a comment about football me and my Mum just look at each other like we know it's going to be something stupid :tongue:
A Australian told me Torres was the best striker in the world thanks to his so called great spell at chelsea according to him :eek:
Reply 29
liverpool are going to win the league next season.

<insert club name> is the best club in the world
Reply 30
Original post by mikeyd85
My sister: Since [The League Cup Final 2012] last week. I wanted Cardiff to win.

Imagine using that logic to support Deportivo Wánka :teehee:
Original post by jaydemikaela
My Dad says some pretty funny stuff.

When he saw Fellaini in the Euros "What...is that a hat?!" To be fair though, his hair is pretty shocking.

Also when my Mum got excited about Gerrard being picked as captain he said "Well don't they all take it in turns"...

About Roy Hodgson "Is that the manager? He doesn't look like a manager"

And when England were about to go out "Who's he? (Talking about Joe Hart) Is he the first aider or something?" Assuming this was because he was wearing a different kit to the rest.

Now whenever he goes to make a comment about football me and my Mum just look at each other like we know it's going to be something stupid :tongue:

fellaini wasn't playing in the euros!
Reply 32
I've heard many people say that a manager is just a guy who puts a suit on and selects the team / makes subs and that players just "have" talent and they don't do anything in between matches.
Reply 33
non-fan: Why not give them two balls each?
Original post by clarusblue
fellaini wasn't playing in the euros!

Wasn't he? Maybe it was an Everton game then :dontknow:
"so what happens if neither team wins?" at a Wembley play off final :teehee:
An old friend of my dads once asked him (bear in mind this was years ago): "So who is it that David Beckham plays for then? Man United or Man U?"

"They're the same team"

"....No they're not".
Original post by mikeyd85

I thought that was a perfectly valid reason to support Crystal Palace? :s-smilie:

:colone:
Reply 38
Personally I agree with the OP in that those people who spout the "footballers are overpaid" line seem to me to be quite stupid, or at least hypocritical.

Such people seem to single out football for their criticisms unfairly: they don't, apparently, have the same problem with other industries which attract millions of pounds of investment because they are vastly popular, such as the pop music industry.

Many times I've heard people say "they get paid millions just to kick a ball around." Firstly, you can reduce any activity to absurdity if you really want to; that's just mindless rhetoric. I could say Lady Gaga is paid millions for shouting into a microphone, or bankers are paid millions for doing a few sums.

The fact is that in a capitalist society, money goes to where the demand is, even if that demand is for something that seems pretty simple, like kicking a ball around. 'Cos even if you have no time for the sport yourself, you can't deny that it is massively popular with many other people. I was quite taken aback when my A2 Lit class (which was 95% female - and not to discriminate against female fans but girls don't tend to like football so much from my experience) agreed that in an ideal world they would ban football, and they were serious! I just thought OK, it's fine if you don't like it, but you should respect the choices of other people to spend their lives doing what they like.

If you want to argue against the capitalist principles that make football the way it is today, that's one thing, but it seems like people just single out football for no good reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by milkytea
Personally I agree with the OP in that those people who spout the "footballers are overpaid" line seem to me to be quite stupid, or at least hypocritical.

Such people seem to single out football for their criticisms unfairly: they don't, apparently, have the same problem with other industries which attract millions of pounds of investment because they are vastly popular, such as the pop music industry.

Many times I've heard people say "they get paid millions just to kick a ball around." Firstly, you can reduce any activity to absurdity if you really want to; that's just mindless rhetoric. I could say Lady Gaga is paid millions for shouting into a microphone, or bankers are paid millions for doing a few sums.

The fact is that in a capitalist society, money goes to where the demand is, even if that demand is for something that seems pretty simple, like kicking a ball around. 'Cos even if you have no time for the sport yourself, you can't deny that it is massively popular with many other people. I was quite taken aback when my A2 Lit class (which was 95% female - and not to discriminate against female fans but girls don't tend to like football so much from my experience) agreed that in an ideal world they would ban football, and they were serious! I just thought OK, it's fine if you don't like it, but you should respect the choices of other people to spend their lives doing what they like.

If you want to argue against the capitalist principles that make football the way it is today, that's one thing, but it seems like people just single out football for no good reason.

Man City spent over 100% of their income on wages, other clubs like Chelsea pay ridiculous amounts, so yes they are overpaid.

If a group of traders are paid 35m and deliver 15m in profits then similarly they're being paid more than their worth.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest