The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Hello Guys, I am just here saying that my transfer has being sorted and I am paying the current fee of £3365.

Thanks for the advice on this thread
Reply 661
Hi guys.
Im looking in to tranferring my 3rd year, wondered if anyone has any advice. I travel to my current uni every day, which is a pain, and there is a university that offers my same course where I live. Especially with current cost of living and outgoings (rent with partner and have a 1 year old) it would help me out to cut my travel. I did originally apply to hometown uni but was not accepted (have no A levels, started uni at 25 with nvq's (personal training q's) in my subject, Sports Science). Hence having to choose a different university, as they accepted me...even though they have higher entry req and a better course? Wierd..
Anyways I am taking a 1st through to 3rd year so was hoping this would negate the previous entry requirement problem. Any thoughts or help?
Reply 662
Original post by 10Trix
Hi guys.
Im looking in to tranferring my 3rd year, wondered if anyone has any advice. I travel to my current uni every day, which is a pain, and there is a university that offers my same course where I live. Especially with current cost of living and outgoings (rent with partner and have a 1 year old) it would help me out to cut my travel. I did originally apply to hometown uni but was not accepted (have no A levels, started uni at 25 with nvq's (personal training q's) in my subject, Sports Science). Hence having to choose a different university, as they accepted me...even though they have higher entry req and a better course? Wierd..
Anyways I am taking a 1st through to 3rd year so was hoping this would negate the previous entry requirement problem. Any thoughts or help?

Many unis won't let you transfer into 3rd year anyway, as they like you to do most of their undergrad with them. So that may be a problem. Then for transfers you're usually looking at meeting the normal entry requirements anyway.

Contact the uni and ask, but don't get your hopes up too much.
Original post by triumphanttri
Hi,
I was supposed to go Leicester to do law (llb) but did'nt get the grades (AAA) so I am going to start my first year in september elsewhere.
I was wondering whether I would be able to transfer after my first year and would I have to get a first class or would a 2:1 be okay?
Furthermore would they concentrate much on my a-levels.?

Please answer as I would love to graduate in leicester

You will need to contact them and ask the above :yes:
Would I be able to transfer if I get a first in my first year for english lit? will my a levels be looked upon a lot?
Reply 665
Original post by Trottoir
Would I be able to transfer if I get a first in my first year for english lit? will my a levels be looked upon a lot?

Yh, start contacting with Unis :smile:
Reply 666
Hi, I'm a mature student (23 years old) studying Philosophy and Psychology with the Open University and I want to transfer to a brick university in my second year but I don't have Alevels or GCSE's.
Could I still transfer with 120 credits from OU or is that impossible without Alevels?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Original post by alexkol
Yh, start contacting with Unis :smile:

i havent started yet, but im just wondering if getting a first can override bad a levels.
Original post by Trottoir
i havent started yet, but im just wondering if getting a first can override bad a levels.

It can do, but often won't. Obviously the better you do the better your case for acceptance though.
Original post by darkiee
Hello Guys, I am just here saying that my transfer has being sorted and I am paying the current fee of £3365.

Thanks for the advice on this thread

Awesome :smile:

Original post by ELM89
Hi, I'm a mature student (23 years old) studying Philosophy and Psychology with the Open University and I want to transfer to a brick university in my second year but I don't have Alevels or GCSE's.
Could I still transfer with 120 credits from OU or is that impossible without Alevels?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

It certainly isn't impossible but this is something you will have to discuss directly with universities as policy will differ quite a lot.
Reply 670
@Paddy_power ok will do, thanks.
Reply 671
I'm transfering but I've already enrolled with my previous uni. Will this be a problem??:s-smilie:
Reply 672
Original post by ai91
I'm transfering but I've already enrolled with my previous uni. Will this be a problem??:s-smilie:

Contact them asap and fill a withdrawal form !
I've been at university for two years, in my second year I had extenuating circumstances that caused me to fail. My university are allowing me to retake year 2 of my course (for free), however I still want to transfer.

I want to repeat the second year of the degree at a different university.

Would I still pay the old lower tuition fees, or the new higher fees?
Reply 674
Can you transfer from a foundation course to first year of another uni? and would the uni look at A level grades?
Reply 675
Original post by samlike25
Can you transfer from a foundation course to first year of another uni? and would the uni look at A level grades?

Of course you can transfer :smile:
Well it depends on the Uni...Some Unis want you to have passed their 1st year entry requirements, but you have to contact the specific Unis u r interested in for more secure information...Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 676
Original post by BreakStuff
I've been at university for two years, in my second year I had extenuating circumstances that caused me to fail. My university are allowing me to retake year 2 of my course (for free), however I still want to transfer.

I want to repeat the second year of the degree at a different university.

Would I still pay the old lower tuition fees, or the new higher fees?
That's for the uni to decide. I have heard of cases where the unis have insisted on the new rate even for students transferring in from courses where they are paying the old rate.

I must say that if your current uni is letting you retake the year and is not charging you, that is not something to cast aside without good reason.
Reply 677
I posted a while ago about my options with regards to fees when transferring uni, and was hoping someone could offer me some more advice.

I am intending to be returning to study from a medical leave of absence in Septemeber 2013. I also did not like my course so would be wanting to change this. I have spoken to staff within my current university (Sheffield) who have said that if I returned in September 2013, and changed my course I would be on the old fees.
Now I have investigated the course I want to study (English) but the course at Sheffield just doesn't really appeal to me. I have, however, found English courses at other universities which do appeal to me much more.

My question is, if I were to transfer for September 2013 entry into English at an alternative university, would I be liable for the 9k tuition fee, or the old ones?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 678
Original post by crowsy
I posted a while ago about my options with regards to fees when transferring uni, and was hoping someone could offer me some more advice.

I am intending to be returning to study from a medical leave of absence in Septemeber 2013. I also did not like my course so would be wanting to change this. I have spoken to staff within my current university (Sheffield) who have said that if I returned in September 2013, and changed my course I would be on the old fees.
Now I have investigated the course I want to study (English) but the course at Sheffield just doesn't really appeal to me. I have, however, found English courses at other universities which do appeal to me much more.

My question is, if I were to transfer for September 2013 entry into English at an alternative university, would I be liable for the 9k tuition fee, or the old ones?

You should be considered as a returning/transfering student, so you should pay 3k, but better ask the specific University...you have plenty of time to do so :biggrin:
Reply 679
Original post by crowsy

The answer you got last time still stands. Don't repost just because you don't like it.

Quick Reply