The Student Room Group

What are the best ever lines in poetry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power
I find "normality" to be a strange concept. I have no issue with incest at all (note: incestuous acts and the possible outcomes are two different things) less so when it is cousins - it is the choice of the individual. You love who you love, and Byron was a far superior writer to Marvell to be honest - who I often find a little clunky. Not that this means anything of course, lol.

Yes, I see what you mean, there's nothing wrong with admiration like Byron shows for her and it's a much nicer tribute than 'sleep with me or worms will take your virginity' Marvell.
Original post by BalanceCommaGirl
Yes, I see what you mean, there's nothing wrong with admiration like Byron shows for her and it's a much nicer tribute than 'sleep with me or worms will take your virginity' Marvell.

Marvell reads to me as someone trying to express something profound and never quite managing it. Maybe it is my penchant for more mellifluous poetry but I find that Byron, for all his personal curiosities, captures what he writes about so much better than most other people.
Reply 322
Most likely already been said but:

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light,
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Sarah Williams
Fourth stanza, The Old Astonomer to his Pupil

Quick Reply