The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I guess I'm quite unique on here, I'm 25, and my bf is 5 years younger than me, he's very mature, and age is the last thing that bothers me when we're together, my brother is also with a woman 10 years older than him, so its obviously not an issue in my family too!!

On the other hand I was attracted to a man 18 years older than me for two years before meeting my current bf, so obviously I'm attracted to the person not what age range they fit into :smile:

I think as long as you are happy with the person and you're compatible in other areas, age is only the problem you make it!!
Reply 101
Emerald
In no way do I see myself as 'mature,worldly wise, sexually experienced' or any other of your choice descriptions. I can't speak for other women my age who like older men but I would never not be interested in a guy because he turned out to be my age or younger than 25.If a guy my age was nice enough and we genuinely clicked I wouldn't hold his age against him. And to be honest I have been looking for relationships with guys my age as it makes the whole relationship easier in general as theres not as much hassle. The point I'm trying to make is that at this stage in my life I've only ever been interested in men older than me but by all means I wouldn't mind a relationship with a guy my age.

so can I come out of the naughty corner now?:rolleyes: :p:

My first sentence? Was I addressing you? Patently not. Congratulations on your enlightened attitude, pat yourself on the back, stop being so defensive.
Reply 102
fewasam
Genuine apologies to those to whom this doesn't apply, but there a lot of people on here need to grow up. Yeah, yeah, you're all so damn mature, so worldy wise, so intellectually accomplished, sexually experienced, artistically vibrant - how could a mere boy hope to keep up? Oh no, you need a man, plenty older than you...

Or not. Age is a number; get a grip, get it in your head. People are different.

If ur still tpyin lyk dis then I think you can **** off if you think you're so much too good for lads your age. Indeed, everyone making such stupid generalisations can. I never went out with anyone younger than twenty from the age of seventeen until earlier this year, but I wouldn't tell the world that women suddenly develop some magic potency in their twenties that deems them worthy of my attention. That's be *******s. It's just the way things have happened.

If anything, I think a lot of people may well just have insecurities about their own maturity and adulthood, and like the idea that a man clearly past puberty and into adulthood with a good crop of bristles on his face and (ooh uh) a car might like them and treat them as an adult.

That's pretty childish, and not what I want from 2006's free wheeling, confident, sexy and charming students. Right.

Now go and sit in the naughty corner, you bloody daft people!

Fab! :smile:
It's important to understand what the ''mature older'' guy is getting from the relationship. Okay, so you're being wined and dined, and having your cultural horizons broadened. But what's in it for him?
You're probably not as worldly and sophisticated as you think you are. So what exactly is a 33 year old doing with you? Without wanting to stereotype - a 33 year old knows that you are pretty much at his mercy, despite your ''independent WO-MAN'' illusions. Who pays for the holidays? And the classy dinners? AND the concerts? etc etc etc? If you're 17 and paying for your share - that's a bit tight of him, as a working man. If he's paying for it all - just think about it for a second.
It basically means that he has you (whether he realizes it or not) under his thumb. You get around in HIS car. He pays for stuff, and whisks you away on things HE wants to do. In other words, whether his feelings are genuine or not, you're pretty much at his mercy re what you do, when you do it, how you do it, and how you get there. Basically, there's a control aspect to the relationship.
Reply 103
Flememeningo
It's important to understand what the ''mature older'' guy is getting from the relationship. Okay, so you're being wined and dined, and having your cultural horizons broadened. But what's in it for him?
You're probably not as worldly and sophisticated as you think you are. So what exactly is a 33 year old doing with you? Without wanting to stereotype - a 33 year old knows that you are pretty much at his mercy, despite your ''independent WO-MAN'' illusions. Who pays for the holidays? And the classy dinners? AND the concerts? etc etc etc? If you're 17 and paying for your share - that's a bit tight of him, as a working man. If he's paying for it all - just think about it for a second.
It basically means that he has you (whether he realizes it or not) under his thumb. You get around in HIS car. He pays for stuff, and whisks you away on things HE wants to do. In other words, whether his feelings are genuine or not, you're pretty much at his mercy re what you do, when you do it, how you do it, and how you get there. Basically, there's a control aspect to the relationship.

Indeed, good points, well made, and since you're a girl I doubt any sexism or bitterness is coming into play :wink:
It seems to me that if a (young) woman was mature she wouldn't need/want all the things you describe to be sorted out, paid for etc by a man. I think that attitude's pretty archaic anyway regardless of age difference but that's another issue...

I do also wonder (though this is probably just my preference) what exactly a 17 year old girl and a 30 year old man (for example) would really have in common:confused: Aren't you (in all likelihood) at completely different stages of life with different ambitions and goals? This isn't a criticism I'm just wondering, I'm 21 and I wouldn't be interested in a girl who's still in school, so it seems unusual that blokes 10 years older than me would...(but there's not, necessarily, anything wrong with this of course).
hmm... I'd prefer them to be my age really, or a couple of years older maybe, but no older than mid 20s.Older guys (30+) can still be eye candy but I wouldn't date one as I'd imagine (though this isn't always the case of course) that we'd be at different stages in life.
at this point in my life i'm much more attracted to older guys, i'm 19 so anywhere up to 29 i'd say, but i haven't really had the chance to test my limits yet :wink:

in the future i'd probably date younger guys (say in my 30s) though
Reply 106
rxbeef
i'm 18, and anything from my age, ish, up to about 25/6/7 i guess? recent events have confused things though :confused:

wow- thats quite a gap! almost verging on the bridget jones age preferences :p:
Reply 107
People get very defensive about age. Jeez- some women like older men, so what! tbh i wouldnt give a damn if the older men i fancy were a bit younger because it would make both parties more compatible (ie, two people of uni age will have similar time /money as each other), as long as their personality was the same. But we cant pick and choose who we fancy. And its hardly ever a neat package of a "perfect" partner, well for me anyway. You accept your attracted to the person and then see if you could live with the differences like age gaps
No one younger than 19, but no one older than 24.
Reply 109
I'm 18 and probably wouldn't go for anyone older than about 21/22 at a push. I would rather be with someone who is still sort of climbing the ladder and establishing their lives than someone who is about 7 years older and has already "been there done that".
Flememeningo

my other half is 26 and im 19. yes he has money and if he chose not to share then my life would be rather difficult. deciding how to spend his money is allways good fun though especially when he says things along the lines of *im a man and therefore have no opinion on home decoration or furnature* here is my card, do what you think is best. im fighting the temptation to get everything in a luminous shade of pink. it would serve him right for not giving an opinion XD
sea_song
I'm 18 and probably wouldn't go for anyone older than about 21/22 at a push. I would rather be with someone who is still sort of climbing the ladder and establishing their lives than someone who is about 7 years older and has already "been there done that".

there is a "been there done that" element to it but it helps at uni to have someone there who has attended 4 more freshers weeks than you. they know more imaginative drinking games etc
Definitely have to be older! Guys my age just seem so immature. Plus I have no confidence and older guys seem to like younger girls. I guess over 25 and under 40 - approx! Not always, I've gone younger and older! But I'm weird, the less I like a guy, the more likely I am to flirt with them, and if I like them, I completely ignore them.... So as much as I hate complicated female minds, I have to admit I screw up alot of situations!! Lol :p:
Sprockette
Definitely have to be older! Guys my age just seem so immature. Plus I have no confidence and older guys seem to like younger girls. I guess over 25 and under 40 - approx! Not always, I've gone younger and older! But I'm weird, the less I like a guy, the more likely I am to flirt with them, and if I like them, I completely ignore them.... So as much as I hate complicated female minds, I have to admit I screw up alot of situations!! Lol :p:

thats so true the older guys have so much confidence, and make up for my lack of confidence :p:
Reply 114
I am 18 years old and I fall for guys 27-30 years old... They are just more intersting they have their own personalities and they do not pretend to be someone else. They know how to behave, how to make you feel good :smile:

Latest