The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medicine 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hedwig24
I did the same AS as you and I'm also hoping to apply to Edinburgh with a poor UKcAT but thought it was worth a risk!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you have above around 2530 but are perfect in everything else then you stand a good chance
Reply 581
Original post by asdfghjkl10
As long as you have above around 2530 but are perfect in everything else then you stand a good chance

I'm sorry but that's not true...PLEASE follow this thread from the beginning and you'll understand. I personally know many kids with near perfect applications and UKCATs in excess of 700 who did not receive offers and there were loads on this thread last year...also if you went to the Open Day, you'll know that Head of Admissions was giving out a guideline UKCAT figure of 3000 for last year and 2800 the year before...Edinburgh is the most difficult Scot's med school to receive an offer from...
All medical schools SCORE applications and the key to seeing whether your application suits that med school is to work out which areas they place emphasis on. Edinburgh's is fairly easy to work out as it is easy to find their Scoring Sheet.
However, you won't know the UKCAT scoring until all the tests are finished and results are published.
I wish you the best of luck with your applications :smile:
Reply 582
With a UKCAT of 2850 (10th decile... Just!), what Edinburgh octile would you expect me to fall under, and how many points (if any) would I lose? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should get you just into the 2nd octile which means you'll lose one point. To get into the top octile you'd be looking at 2930 or so (for last year when the means were lower than this year)....so a bit risky, i guess unless your academics give you full points and you have band 1 and an excellent personal statement BY EDINBURGH'S STANDARDS.
Original post by muz360
With a UKCAT of 2850 (10th decile... Just!), what Edinburgh octile would you expect me to fall under, and how many points (if any) would I lose? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should get you just into the 2nd octile which means you'll lose one point. To get into the top octile you'd be looking at 2930 or so (for last year when the means were lower than this year)....so a bit risky, i guess unless your academics give you full points and you have band 1 and an excellent personal statement BY EDINBURGH'S STANDARDS.
Reply 585
I have full marks in academics and band 1. Obviously personal statements are subjective but I think mine is good. I am a Scottish applicant. I am also a state school student and I have done the reach project.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 586
Does anyone know when the earliest offer came through? Alternatively what time did you offers come through if you got one? Thanks
Original post by 5824
Does anyone know when the earliest offer came through? Alternatively what time did you offers come through if you got one? Thanks

Around mid feb/ start of march last year...
Reply 588

Thank you! So you got an offer last year? What were your stats?:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 589

Why do they take so long :P
Original post by muz360
I have full marks in academics and band 1. Obviously personal statements are subjective but I think mine is good. I am a Scottish applicant. I am also a state school student and I have done the reach project.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your chances should be very good, considering you are in the REACH project as well. Hold in tight, offers went out around the 16th of February last year, rejections came first.
Reply 591
Original post by 5824

Scottish applicant: 19th February...admissions worked through night to get them out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending