The Student Room Group

At what age did you stop asking your parents

If you could do this or do that, ranging from the little things such as "can I go to the cinema" to "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going to *insert big festival here*

I ask because I'm in a bit of a predicament

Last summer, when I was 17, I wanted to go to Reading Festival with my best friends. I've always loved the thought of them! At first it was a straight no from my dad (mums easier to persuade), but after a little bit of negotiation (and a cheeky lie), he said yes, HE EVEN PAID FOR MY TICKET AND TRANSPORT!

I had a blast, and said to myself i'd definitely go again with my best friend who couldn't go. Booked my ticket for 2012 and the other day I went to ask my dad if we had any holiday plan. I told him not to book anything on the weekend of the festival and he went balistic, telliing me i'm not going this year.

My genuine facial expresion = :eek::s-smilie::eek::s-smilie::eek:
It just doesn't make sense that he'd let me go out 17 but is so against the idea at 18 when technically i should be able to make decisions for myself.

Should I try and negotiate again or straight up tell him i'm going, baring in mind I leave home for uni 2 weeks later?
And at what age did you stop asking your parents for permission to do certain things?

Help me out please guys!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

When I can pay for them myself, I don't ask. I don't see how age has much to do with it. And it's probably not a good idea to piss your parents off two weeks before uni, given that they'll probably be paying for you to go there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Paided? :lolwut:

I'm 17 and I generally just tell them when I'm going out.
LOL you're 18. seriously? they can't say that! just go for it.
Reply 4
Probably sound old fashioned here but I do think age has a lot to do with it, because I wouldn't want my children exposed or doing certain things too young or if they are not mature enough (oh god I sound so bland). Besides, not many 15/16 year olds can afford things such as.
I can afford to pay for it, I had the money for it last year but he insisted on paying, I've also paid for this year.
Very tempted to just disappear off, hmm
Reply 5
Original post by LMAC
Paided? :lolwut:

I'm 17 and I generally just tell them when I'm going out.

HAHA I THOUGHT I CHANGED THAT!

Yeah I take that approach to most things and it works out fine but " Mum, Dad I'm off to Ibiza" doesn't go down too well
Reply 6
Original post by peanutbutterlove
LOL you're 18. seriously? they can't say that! just go for it.

YOLO :biggrin:
(no doubt this will get negged)
When I was 16 I'd just be like, I'm going to this place. Even before that I think.
If I needed a lift or anything then I would ask. But if I could get myself there then I'd just tell them.
Original post by YB101
If you could do this or do that, ranging from the little things such as "can I go to the cinema" to "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going to *insert big festival here*

I ask because I'm in a bit of a predicament

Last summer, when I was 17, I wanted to go to Reading Festival with my best friends. I've always loved the thought of them! At first it was a straight no from my dad (mums easier to persuade), but after a little bit of negotiation (and a cheeky lie), he said yes, HE EVEN PAIDED FOR MY TICKET AND TRANSPORT!

I had a blast, and said to myself i'd definitely go again with my best friend who couldn't go. Booked my ticket for 2012 and the other day I went to ask my dad if we had any holiday plan. I told him not to book anything on the weekend of the festival and he went balistic, telliing me i'm not going this year.

My genuine facial expresion = :eek::s-smilie::eek::s-smilie::eek:
It just doesn't make sense that he'd let me go out 17 but is so against the idea at 18 when technically i should be able to make decisions for myself.

Should I try and negotiate again or straight up tell him i'm going, baring in mind I leave home for uni 2 weeks later?
And at what age did you stop asking your parents for permission to do certain things?

Help me out please guys!

Well to be honest, if you told him not to make plans for the weekend because it'll ruin your festival plans then it's quite rude.

He paid for the tickets and travel last time, and for you to tell him he can't book holidays because it may stop you from going to a festival (that you've been to before) is a bit out of order.
Original post by electriic_ink
When I can pay for them myself, I don't ask. I don't see how age has much to do with it. And it's probably not a good idea to piss your parents off two weeks before uni, given that they'll probably be paying for you to go there.

This. That was around age sixteen for myself. I had my own money, and so if I wanted to go somewhere or do something, I just did it, informing my mother only as a display of etiquette.
At a certain stage, "mum, can I go to ...." actually means "...and can I borrow your car"
Reply 11
My parents are very much like yours, perhaps even worse; I am 16 and still have to ask if I can do absolutely everything - I still have to ask if I am allowed certain foods :colondollar:

There is a point when it becomes ridiculous and you are 18 and have payed for your ticket yourself; maybe what upset your father more is the fact that you didn't tell him before you brought the ticket (I don't mean necessarily asked either, just told)
Reply 12
Original post by StartSomething
When I was 16 I'd just be like, I'm going to this place. Even before that I think.
If I needed a lift or anything then I would ask. But if I could get myself there then I'd just tell them.

You seem like an absolute delight.
Reply 13
Once I was about 15-16, I started saying 'I'm going to such-and-such a place'. You're 18 though. Your parents aren't in charge of you anymore.
Reply 14
Original post by o Rebecca o
Well to be honest, if you told him not to make plans for the weekend because it'll ruin your festival plans then it's quite rude.

He paid for the tickets and travel last time, and for you to tell him he can't book holidays because it may stop you from going to a festival (that you've been to before) is a bit out of order.

1) I don't know why he paid, I already had the money for it
2) He was the one who told us to tell him when NOT to book any holidays

Not rude at all, just doing what he asked.
Reply 15
I'm 16, and I think i stopped "asking for permission" and started "letting them know" what I'm doing like... a couple of months ago x
Reply 16
I think that perhaps the reason your dad might have been angry this year is not to do with your age; maybe he's upset/annoyed because you went the year before and doesn't want this to be a routine thing? Maybe he wanted to spend the whole holiday with you or wanted to keep it free so that he could arrange a holiday for several weeks?

Even so, as you're eighteen, I still think that it's unreasonable of your dad not to let you go for a week with your friends. I think that you should talk to him again, though, because it may have just been his initial shocked reaction.
I haven't asked since my 16th birthday I just say 'I'm going [insert place]' I do ask when I should be in for because my mum is really paranoid about going sleep leaving the back gate open for me :lol: so I ask what time to be in at :smile: but for gigs and places I just tell that that I'm going if they say no i say you can't stop me and they realise they can't :biggrin: come to think of it I should tell them I'm going to a gig in just over a week :lol:
Reply 18
Im 21, i dont often ask for permission (because thats not an issue) but do keep my parents informed about my whereabouts because thats something they do want to know.
Reply 19
Original post by adieu
I think that perhaps the reason your dad might have been angry this year is not to do with your age; maybe he's upset/annoyed because you went the year before and doesn't want this to be a routine thing? Maybe he wanted to spend the whole holiday with you or wanted to keep it free so that he could arrange a holiday for several weeks?

Even so, as you're eighteen, I still think that it's unreasonable of your dad not to let you go for a week with your friends. I think that you should talk to him again, though, because it may have just been his initial shocked reaction.

Best Answer Yet!

However, suppose I did want it to be a routine thing, is it up to him to say it should or shouldn't? I love music festivals and gigs (which is another thing he can't stand me going to for some reason :/) and it's only ever 1 festival a year. I plan on going annually (Glastonbury next year fingers crossed) and I don't think he should really have a say in it seeing as it doesn't involve him in any way and i'm soon to be leaving home.

He can arrange a holiday for whatever date he wants, I don't think it's because of that reason to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending