The Student Room Group

At what age did you stop asking your parents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was 16 when I stopped asking for permission to do things.I just used to tell my parents where I was going, who with and what time I'd be back roughly.There were no such things as mobile phones back then either.
Reply 21
Original post by JordanS94
I haven't asked since my 16th birthday I just say 'I'm going [insert place]' I do ask when I should be in for because my mum is really paranoid about going sleep leaving the back gate open for me :lol: so I ask what time to be in at :smile: but for gigs and places I just tell that that I'm going if they say no i say you can't stop me and they realise they can't :biggrin: come to think of it I should tell them I'm going to a gig in just over a week :lol:

What gig are you going to ? I have one coming up soon but as far as they no "I'm going to London to watch a production :wink:"

wait, i haven't even told them that yet!
Original post by YB101
What gig are you going to ? I have one coming up soon but as far as they no "I'm going to London to watch a production :wink:"

wait, i haven't even told them that yet!

:lol: Deaf Havana in Manchester :biggrin: I've had my ticket since January, I don't know how it slipped my mind :confused:
Reply 23
When I started uni o_o before that I didn't ask them either.. I just didn't go anywhere much. Little social butterfly I am.
Reply 24
Original post by JordanS94
:lol: Deaf Havana in Manchester :biggrin: I've had my ticket since January, I don't know how it slipped my mind :confused:

Haha! Got Foster the People on the 28th! Can't wait!

I can understand why my parents aren't so keen on me going tbh, exams and all :angry:
I'm generally considered pretty mature for my age (now 17) and have pretty much always done what I wanted. If I want to go out i tell my mum im going. Last summer holidays (when I was 16) I went to America by myself for a month. In fairness it was to see my ex-gf (she wasn't an ex at the time, but its a long story) and so there wasn't the whole 'you'll be alone for a month' thing from my mum, but i pretty much told her I was going and she said 'oh okay'. When I was talking to my friends mum she said shed never let him go because he wasn't mature enough. So I think thats probably the key factor. But, getting back to your point, is your dad a reasonable type of guy? I'm guessing so as you persuaded him last year, I'd suggest you try and reason with him again mate. And if you can't reason with him go to your mum. And, if you cant reason with her then just go!

Good luck!!!
I was probably about 13 the last time my parents said I wasn't allowed to go somewhere, it wasn't like I wanted to go to Reading when I was 13, just as my friends were doing things I was always allowed to do them too. My Mum always seemed happy when I was doing things, I think she liked that I was becoming more independent and doing things on my own. They were a bit stricter on my sisters, my youngest sister wasn't allowed to get the train to Birmingham with a friend to go to a gig, she is 14. My other sister had to wait until she was 17 before she could go to V festitival on her own. She also had to wait until she was 18 to go on holiday abroad, even though I was allowed to go to the same place when I was 17.

I would argue it out with you Dad. If it is a concern about your safety then it is a bit more understandable but since you got on ok last time it probably isn't that. It sounds like he is a bit of a control freak who is annoyed that you have tried to take away his power to decide what you can and can't do.
I'm 19 and my mam tells me I don't need to ask for things anymore, just go, but my dad sometimes still tries to tell me I can't do something. Seeing as howI no longer live at home I tell him he't not really able to tell me what to do. I think it's more that I'm a girl that he thinks he can still tell me what to do - the whole "little girl" thing.
Reply 28
Original post by AdamHanrahan
I'm generally considered pretty mature for my age (now 17) and have pretty much always done what I wanted. If I want to go out i tell my mum im going. Last summer holidays (when I was 16) I went to America by myself for a month. In fairness it was to see my ex-gf (she wasn't an ex at the time, but its a long story) and so there wasn't the whole 'you'll be alone for a month' thing from my mum, but i pretty much told her I was going and she said 'oh okay'. When I was talking to my friends mum she said shed never let him go because he wasn't mature enough. So I think thats probably the key factor. But, getting back to your point, is your dad a reasonable type of guy? I'm guessing so as you persuaded him last year, I'd suggest you try and reason with him again mate. And if you can't reason with him go to your mum. And, if you cant reason with her then just go!

Good luck!!!

I am quite mature when I need to be and when on my own tbh, and my mums fine with it but in her eyes if it's not fine with my dad then she can't do anything about it.
It may be because you came back smelling worse than a weightlifters jockstrap - I know my kids did and your dad doesn't want a repeat of it!

No seriously - whilst you are under their roof, you should inform them where you are out of courtesy and on the rare occasion when you may need rescuing they know where you are ( I have rescued offspring from Chislehurst; Reading (funnily enough - hence the smell in the car); London Bridge and many parties too numerous to mention
Original post by Iron Lady
You seem like an absolute delight.

Why? Because I asked for a lift now and then?
Who hasn't asked their parents for a lift. Especially when you live in such a small village that I lived in.
It's not like I haven't paid them back - since I have been driving I will give them a lift whenever they need it.
So yes, I was an absolute delight :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Sternumator
I was probably about 13 the last time my parents said I wasn't allowed to go somewhere, it wasn't like I wanted to go to Reading when I was 13, just as my friends were doing things I was always allowed to do them too. My Mum always seemed happy when I was doing things, I think she liked that I was becoming more independent and doing things on my own. They were a bit stricter on my sisters, my youngest sister wasn't allowed to get the train to Birmingham with a friend to go to a gig, she is 14. My other sister had to wait until she was 17 before she could go to V festitival on her own. She also had to wait until she was 18 to go on holiday abroad, even though I was allowed to go to the same place when I was 17.

I would argue it out with you Dad. If it is a concern about your safety then it is a bit more understandable but since you got on ok last time it probably isn't that. It sounds like he is a bit of a control freak who is annoyed that you have tried to take away his power to decide what you can and can't do.

That's so true the last bit! I'm a girl and I've always thought that's why he is so uptight. My older brother (19) is a bit of a goody and doesn't really go out as much so I guess my dad hasn't had much practice on letting go of the ropes.
Reply 32
Original post by StartSomething
Why? Because I asked for a lift now and then?
Who hasn't asked their parents for a lift. Especially when you live in such a small village that I lived in.
It's not like I haven't paid them back - since I have been driving I will give them a lift whenever they need it.
So yes, I was an absolute delight :smile:

You do sound like a delight ngl :smile:
Wish I could drive -.-
Original post by YB101
You do sound like a delight ngl :smile:
Wish I could drive -.-

You don't wish you could drive. Well. It is handy.
But sometimes I feel like a taxi - not just to parents but to other family, friends, boyfriend.. ex boyfriend :rolleyes: Ah well. haha
Reply 34
Original post by StartSomething
You don't wish you could drive. Well. It is handy.
But sometimes I feel like a taxi - not just to parents but to other family, friends, boyfriend.. ex boyfriend :rolleyes: Ah well. haha

I'm always asking for lifts so I feel a bit bad now, but they are the ones always flashing around the fact they can drive so I guess I just take advantage :smile:
I'd happily drive around my best friend if needed, how long did it take you to pass? I'm planning on getting it done during the summer before uni!
I actually can't remember exactly, but it went from "can I" to "would you mind" and finally I'd say "I'm going out on ______". Can't remember when I switched from the first two, but I started saying "I'm doing whatever" when I got home from living in halls. It's not that I wasn't independent before, just that I always asked. They never said no about anything really as long as I could afford to pay for my own transport/tickets etc.
Your parents may hold the view that you may be 18, but you don't act adult enough, therefore they do not trust you. The main reason probably being alcohol.
I check if the car is free, that's it. Me and my mom car share when I'm at home.
Original post by YB101
I'm always asking for lifts so I feel a bit bad now, but they are the ones always flashing around the fact they can drive so I guess I just take advantage :smile:
I'd happily drive around my best friend if needed, how long did it take you to pass? I'm planning on getting it done during the summer before uni!

I had lessons for 8 months. I think that's quite long compared to some people. But I passed first time so maybe those 8 months were worth it :smile:
Original post by YB101
YOLO :biggrin:
(no doubt this will get negged)

and you deserve every neg you get for this, smh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending