The Student Room Group

Should Horse racing be banned?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/9204833/Grand-National-2012-sadness-as-Synchronised-and-According-to-Pete-die-at-Aintree.html

Two Horses, Synchronised and According to Pete died today in the Grand National following falls. R.I.P. :mad:

I used to like a bet. But then there came a time when i asked myself "Can i really enjoy something in which animals are being killed for my pleasure". Once i seriously asked myself that question i quit gambling overnight.

So what do people think about the sport? Should it be banned? Would modifying the course be better i.e. having less horses or smaller fences to jump over.

Some people say sports like Football should be banned too, because of incidents like Muamba and the Italian footballer who died today following a cardiac arrest. Some people bring the argument of people eating meat and wearing leather. Where do people stand on Horseracing?

Scroll to see replies

Leather is a by-product of a meat industry and people will always eat meat - we are omnivores. Not everyone's going to be a vegetarian.
I don't think that it will ever be banned, and it is a tradition. But I think that the deaths of horses who fall is terrible and would certainly support more extensive regulation of welfare. I'm not sure what this would involve though :s-smilie:
I'd agree with banning it but it's almost definitely impossible!
I think as long as all the possible measures are in place to protect the horses, then it's okay. You're going to lose a few every now and then. But it's not like fox hunting, where the purpose and expectation is for death. You lose about one horse every year. It's not a huge number.
Not horse racing in general, but the grand national is far too extreme. A horse dying should be a rare occurrence during a race but it happens nearly every time (if not every time?) which is wrong.

Lower the jumps. Again.
Reply 4
It's a lot more safer than it used to be, although until horse-racing is banned completely there will inevitably be horse deaths.

I'd be for even more safety regulations in this "sport", not sure about banning it yet though because like someone above said the main aim of horse racing isn't to kill the horses like in fox hunting.
Original post by lightburns
I think as long as all the possible measures are in place to protect the horses, then it's okay. You're going to lose a few every now and then. But it's not like fox hunting, where the purpose and expectation is for death. You lose about one horse every year. It's not a huge number.

It's not that it's just every year though, it's not as if one race out of 30 Grand Nationals each year results in the death of a horse. There's only one Grand National a year and it always results in at least 1 death.
(edited 12 years ago)
right i am the biggest animal lover in the world, i ride horses every week and look after them
but banning horse racing is not the answer
alls we bloody need to do is lower the fences, don't put as many horses in, make tighter whipping rules and decrease the length of the races
thoroughbred are BRED to race, they love it, it's literally what they're born to do and know no different
they get treated amazingly as well
BUT it's so sick the amount of horses that die yet it carries on and nothing gets done
just bigger "landing spots" which did not make a freaking difference
if ONE jocky died woah well the media would be a frenzy and it'd be chaos but because it's horses no one really cares
well today everyones preaching BAN HORSE RACING yada yada but i bet you next year they'll bet again and enjoy their bloody money
i have never betted at all nor has my family, i couldn't enjoy spending that money

so basically, no i do not believe it should be banned but more more laws should come into force and betters should be taught the reality of racing and know what they're contributing towards
Original post by EffieFlowers
It's not that it's just every year though, it's not as if one race out of 30 results in the death of a horse each year. There's only one Grand National a year and it always results in a death.

Is there a reason for so many horse deaths? If there is a measure that could be in place for their safety (e.g. jump heights) that is not, then this should be addressed. However, if they are doing everything they can, then it should just be accepted that it's dangerous. Note: I know little about horse racing :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EffieFlowers
It's not that it's just every year though, it's not as if one race out of 30 Grand Nationals each year results in the death of a horse. There's only one Grand National a year and it always results in a death.

Deaths.* Two died this year and I think it was two last year. The RSPCA is also concerned with overuse of the whip this year.

It isn't acceptable.

edit: Not too sure why this post has been so controversial?
(edited 12 years ago)
Nope.
I think the races are becoming so competitive whether in Europe or elsewhere and the trainers are making it tough for the horses. They should really minimize the number of championship and reconsider the number of competitions one horse should take.
I'm not sure who beat who to this thread (I just created a similar one).

Jumps should be of realistic height, so the horse can clear it easily - that is, without touching the brush. The Grand National is simply a case of ploughing through the jumps and hoping the horse doesn't get its hoof caught.

I don't think horse racing should be banned entirely. It's not a dangerous sport in itself and I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that horses do enjoy racing. But jumps should be drastically reduced in height - what's wrong with flat racing anyway? I personally enjoy seeing how fast a horse can run on the flat rather than how high it can jump. For me the former seems so much more natural and beautiful to watch.
Reply 12
Original post by Sir Phillip Jones
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/9204833/Grand-National-2012-sadness-as-Synchronised-and-According-to-Pete-die-at-Aintree.html

Two Horses, Synchronised and According to Pete died today in the Grand National following falls. R.I.P. :mad:

I used to like a bet. But then there came a time when i asked myself "Can i really enjoy something in which animals are being killed for my pleasure". Once i seriously asked myself that question i quit gambling overnight.

So what do people think about the sport? Should it be banned? Would modifying the course be better i.e. having less horses or smaller fences to jump over.

Some people say sports like Football should be banned too, because of incidents like Muamba and the Italian footballer who died today following a cardiac arrest. Some people bring the argument of people eating meat and wearing leather. Where do people stand on Horseracing?

Are you a vege?
Reply 13
It's not just the racing - what do you think happens to the thousands of horses who either don't make the grade, or who are past their best? If you think they all have a cosy retirement, you're very, very naive.

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/uk/2006/oct/01/horseracing.sport
Reply 15
I enjoy going to the races and having a bet, but I agree that some of the jumps on the Grand National need to be lowered. There's probably too much money being made from horse racing for it to be banned.
Original post by InnerTemple
Deaths.* Two died this year and I think it was two last year. The RSPCA is also concerned with overuse of the whip this year.

It isn't acceptable.

Yeah I know, I should have said at least one death.

And the majority of them get some form of injury. The winner was bleeding.
the horses die because they can't race anymore after the fall right? or is the fall actually fatal
Original post by Joburger

Original post by lightburns
Is there a reason for so many horse deaths? If there is a measure that could be in place for their safety (e.g. jump heights) that is not, then this should be addressed. However, if they are doing everything they can, then it should just be accepted that it's dangerous. Note: I know little about horse racing :lol:

The fences are far too high. They should definitely lower them, the amount of horses that fall at the first hurdle bless them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending