The Student Room Group

We graduated 2:1 from Bath 2 years ago and haven't gotten a single job offer since...

My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Perhaps you need to broaden your scope outside of Psychology :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by JobHelp
My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

You're a psychology graduate.

Am I the only one that's NOT surprised by the OP's predicament.
Reply 3
Have you been applying for stuff outside psychology? It's a pretty small field, and there are a lot of psychos out there.
Reply 4
It's not just psychology degrees it's lots of degrees in general where the holder struggles to get decent jobs
Reply 5
Post-grad in a degree which has clearer job prospects ?
Reply 6
Original post by JobHelp
in psychology.

That is your first problem, followed by:

Original post by JobHelp

A complete lack of relevant work experience.
Reply 7
Original post by nish81
I know very few people in natural science (inc. engineering), economics/business, and law courses, who've had trouble finding jobs. There's definitely a correlation, if not causation, between the two

I wouldn't include law, obviously some degrees are more likely to get you jobs, I'm not saying its because there's too many graduates though , the economy is tough but sometimes I think its better to do something else, I know I might
This thread,

this thread is depressing.
Reply 9
I'm not surprised, and I study psychology myself.

Are you and your friends only going for psychology related jobs? Because it seems almost impossible to get something in the area without a perfect CV and lots of very relevant experience. It's tough, definitely.
Reply 10
Original post by fuzznbass
It's not just psychology degrees it's lots of degrees in general where the holder struggles to get decent jobs

16,000 people go on to start psychology at uni each year (UCAS). Only Law is more popular. There's no way near enough jobs in psychology. But people seem to think you can do anything with a psychology degree, LOL.
Original post by fnm
16,000 people go on to start psychology at uni each year (UCAS). Only Law is more popular. There's no way near enough jobs in psychology. But people seem to think you can do anything with a psychology degree, LOL.

There should be limits on this , the Uni's are making lots money out of them but not many will really get jobs. On the flip side I've heard History isn't good for jobs either but I'm not sure if lots of people study that.
Reply 12
There should be limits on this , the Uni's are making lots money out of them but not many will really get jobs. On the flip side I've heard History isn't good for jobs either but I'm not sure if lots of people study that.

I agree to a certain extent, but rather than capping numbers, I think potential psychology students should be made very aware of what they're getting themselves into. If they completely understand the situation, the fact that so many people study the subject and that so few get jobs in the area, and then decide to do the course anyway, at least they're taking an educated risk. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for many people who end up with a psychology degree.
Reply 13

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/stat_services/stats_online/data_tables/subject/2011

the data ucas publishes is fantastic. very helpful.
Reply 14
Original post by M1011
Perhaps you need to broaden your scope outside of Psychology :redface:

We are, but we are not even getting min wage jobs that don't require a degree.

At the job fair they suggested not to put our degree on our CV when we apply for these types of jobs but I don't know how to explain the 3 year gap? :confused:

A degree puts employers off because they know you will run a mile as soon as something better comes along.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by JobHelp

why don't you get any further training in psychology? have you tried graduate schemes that ask for any type of degree?
Reply 16
why is it so surprising to people that you don't just get handed jobs on a plate after getting a degree...
50%+ jobs aren't advertised and it's all about networking, getting relevant experience and leaving your comfort zone..
Reply 17
Original post by Inkerman
You're a psychology graduate.

Am I the only one that's NOT surprised by the OP's predicament.

Thanks for the helpful advice :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by geetar
Have you been applying for stuff outside psychology? It's a pretty small field, and there are a lot of psychos out there.

We are not getting any jobs (psychology or non-phychology related)
Reply 19

I know, I guess I just wanted to know whether we are doing anything wrong. From reading this forum it seems to be a common problem ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending