The Student Room Group

The University of Dundee MB ChB Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Vox0
Hello! Let me weigh in a bit on your questions about Dundee as a grad.

Firstly, I'm not sure that they have any specific quotas as a grad. Personally, I have a 2:1 in pharmacology, AAAAB (+ AB) at Higher (6th yr) - but I have a lot of prior experience and UKCAT 720. However, most of the other grads I know have a 2:1 degree. One of my friends with a masters got a 1st class honours but did poorly in his highers so he was an exception. We have a few postgrad pharmacists too so it's not uncommon. I would disagree that Dundee is a higher risk choice than anywhere else. In fact I would argue that they are the fairest in looking at each individual equally. Furthermore, I know some of the school leavers in my year were in the 600 UKCAT range: not great but they must have had something to set them apart.

Secondly, do not be so sure about English universities only requiring A-levels. I've phoned up a lot of unis over the few times I applied for medicine in order to ask them about what qualifications I needed. Certainly there was no indications that just because I studied in Scotland that I couldn't then study in England. I also asked unis about whether graduates were considered differently to school leavers but I could never get a solid answer to that question...

Oh also, I should say it is my understanding (but don't quote me) that your degree will count much more than your school grades. So for example my friend who bombed his highers but got a first class masters degree had proven himself to be academic. Similarly, I believe your 2nd class masters will overshadow your AAAAC to some extent

Finally, let me highly recommend Dundee as a university and as a medical school, especially having already studied at Glasgow and having visited all the other universities in Scotland.

Any questions let me know.

Vox

Thank you for your advice :smile:

The only thing am still confused about is that admission said they dont consider masters to be "exceptional academia" despite the fact that this is what their website says.

Your UKCAT is pretty high and your academics are good so you have the right things..whereas I have AAAAC and 2.1 (I have a feeling most applicants are 1st because Dundee gives academic 40% so thats a lot??)

I was very keen on Dundee but she said I might not have chance to get an interview because my UKCAT is not brilliant. AND I dont feel there is anything that stands out in my application if I apply to Dundee, My ukcat is okay, academics okay...so there is nothing thats says WOW! I feel it would be a waste if I applied here if my chances arent that great in the 1st place.

Another good thing is their fees is so good! much cheaper than anywhere else...

Apparently my PS is good so applying here wouldn't be a good idea since they dont even look at the PS (As far as I know...)
Reply 761
Original post by Ama2007
Thank you for your advice :smile:

The only thing am still confused about is that admission said they dont consider masters to be "exceptional academia" despite the fact that this is what their website says.

Your UKCAT is pretty high and your academics are good so you have the right things..whereas I have AAAAC and 2.1 (I have a feeling most applicants are 1st because Dundee gives academic 40% so thats a lot??)

I was very keen on Dundee but she said I might not have chance to get an interview because my UKCAT is not brilliant. AND I dont feel there is anything that stands out in my application if I apply to Dundee, My ukcat is okay, academics okay...so there is nothing thats says WOW! I feel it would be a waste if I applied here if my chances arent that great in the 1st place.

Another good thing is their fees is so good! much cheaper than anywhere else...

Apparently my PS is good so applying here wouldn't be a good idea since they dont even look at the PS (As far as I know...)

You might be reading into this too much. Where are you getting all this info from? And why do you think applying to Dundee is a waste? I thought applying to St Andrews and Edinburgh was a waste because I feel they look for specific people/personality types. Where does it say they don't look at PS? (Although this might be true in the initial stages). Furthermore, if you don't feel there is anything that stands out in your Dundee application what makes you think it will stand out at other, equally reputable institutions? You have to make it stand out! :smile:

As far as I know most grads will not have a first class degree (There are about 15 of us and I know of one). To be fair, I wouldn't say a masters is exceptional because some degrees have them as standard. It will count for 2 points in 5th year when you are making your applications for FY1 posts.

In general, I honestly feel that Dundee are not the hardest med school in Scotland to get into. Furthermore, if you get into the interview stage then you really have a level playing field with anyone else. As a graduate I felt I had an advantage over school leavers simply to to my work exp, life exp and degree.

Have you given them a call to see if they can answer your questions? Sometimes prospectuses and websites are a bit much to take in.

Vox
Reply 762
Original post by Vox0
You might be reading into this too much. Where are you getting all this info from? And why do you think applying to Dundee is a waste? I thought applying to St Andrews and Edinburgh was a waste because I feel they look for specific people/personality types. Where does it say they don't look at PS? (Although this might be true in the initial stages). Furthermore, if you don't feel there is anything that stands out in your Dundee application what makes you think it will stand out at other, equally reputable institutions? You have to make it stand out! :smile:

As far as I know most grads will not have a first class degree (There are about 15 of us and I know of one). To be fair, I wouldn't say a masters is exceptional because some degrees have them as standard. It will count for 2 points in 5th year when you are making your applications for FY1 posts.

In general, I honestly feel that Dundee are not the hardest med school in Scotland to get into. Furthermore, if you get into the interview stage then you really have a level playing field with anyone else. As a graduate I felt I had an advantage over school leavers simply to to my work exp, life exp and degree.

Have you given them a call to see if they can answer your questions? Sometimes prospectuses and websites are a bit much to take in.

Vox

I totally agree its a great university, I would love to go there!

But they seem to have changed their admission criteria, they know only look at the following in order to select for interview:

Academics 40% (degree, school)
UKCAT 60%

So I don't see anywhere that they consider W/E as a bonus because if they did, I would definitely apply with no hesitation (I have a lot of W/E in healthcare)
Reply 763
Original post by Ama2007
I totally agree its a great university, I would love to go there!

But they seem to have changed their admission criteria, they know only look at the following in order to select for interview:

Academics 40% (degree, school)
UKCAT 60%

So I don't see anywhere that they consider W/E as a bonus because if they did, I would definitely apply with no hesitation (I have a lot of W/E in healthcare)

Ok I had a look at the website and it does seem to back up some of what you say about Academics and UKCAT being considered before Extracurriculars and WE: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/enquiry/medicine/

However, I don't know where the 40/60 split comes into it??

Furthermore, I was going to suggest again that you phone them (it's the fastest way to get a solid answer) but looking back it seems you already contacted them and they said they would consider your application. What else do you need? If you are worried about it being more of a risk than other unis then that will ultimately be your decision but if they've already said they would consider your application based on your info then I'm not sure there's much more you can get to help you make your mind up.

Let me ask you this: how many other unis do you consider to be less risk with your grades and UKCAT?

Vox
Reply 764
So what lucky people made their grades and are coming to Dundee then?
Reply 765
hey everyone, I was looking on the medics welcome week page and there was stuff about picking up preordered labcoats for anatomy... has anyone got any idea how to place an order for one/has anyone preordered one yet? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 766
Original post by lct1995
hey everyone, I was looking on the medics welcome week page and there was stuff about picking up preordered labcoats for anatomy... has anyone got any idea how to place an order for one/has anyone preordered one yet? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

We ended up just getting all our gear and getting a bill for it sent to us later on. Not sure if they've sorted something new out for this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending