The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaydurrDude
Thanks for telling me all about your time :smile: what time did you have to get up at in the mornings? I'm not exactly a morning person...

I'm not a morning person either but you did have to get up early. Your first lecture started at 9am so you had to be there in time, everyone walked together though from the hall we were staying in. Before that, breakfast was served (probably around 8-8:30am or something).
Original post by Natalie21
Where does it say that?

Well, Nottingham does, I assume it might be the same for other unis where they do the Sutten trust summer schools.
I can't remember if it said on the site or not, but they also told us at the general info talks we had once we were there.
Original post by Kaylaleigh
French :smile: Which is a world away from vet med lol!

Another advantage of the summer school; if you end up going to that uni, you'll get a £1000 per year bursary :smile:

Original post by Natalie21
Where does it say that?

Certainly isn't the case for all Sutton Trust summer schools... I hope :tongue: Otherwise I've just lost out on so much money :tongue:
Reply 83
Well, Nottingham does, I assume it might be the same for other unis where they do the Sutten trust summer schools.
I can't remember if it said on the site or not, but they also told us at the general info talks we had once we were there.

I thought the whole point of the scheme was solely for experience and doesn't influence your application whether it was at the uni you did the summer school at? But maybe i'm wrong. Would be nice to get a bursary though :tongue:
I thought the whole point of the scheme was solely for experience and doesn't influence your application whether it was at the uni you did the summer school at? But maybe i'm wrong. Would be nice to get a bursary though :tongue:

yeah I see what you're saying; I think the bursary coincides with the aspect of the summer school which is to encourage students from poorer backgrounds to go to uni (and good ones too)... Though the bursary might just be a decision from Nottingham and independent of the sutten trust.
The bursary hasn't swayed my opinion though, I loved Nottinghsam uni and I did apply there, but I won't be going there.
how do you apply to go to sutton trust?
wait i think i'm getting this wrong, is sutton trust a summer school that is kindof experience for going into medicine?
Reply 87
Could you tell me what your few days were like there? From arriving to leaving? :tongue: I'd love to get into the Cambridge one but i'd assume loads of people will have applied for there :frown: Did you apply to Cambridge for Sept 2012? :smile:

Sure, well the journey was fun and we were all met at the station by 'CAMbassadors' where our luggage was put in a van and then we walked to the college through the city centre where we got to know other people, then we all sat in the hall and went through health and safety, plans for the week etc., went to our rooms, got settled, dinner, ice-breakers, then lectures, seminars etc. in the days with breakfast and dinner altogether and lunch in our subject groups. There were activities in the evening like a walking tour, punting, a BOP etc. and there was loads to do. It was a fantastic experience and I made the most amazing friends there :smile: we were all so sad when it was time to go home and still all keep in touch :smile: definitely apply! :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by persian_tanya
wait i think i'm getting this wrong, is sutton trust a summer school that is kindof experience for going into medicine?

no, they do many subjects, not just medicine (:
Reply 89
i've applied for the Law summer school at Cambridge - any of you guys applied for the same course?
Original post by wren94

Original post by wren94
no, they do many subjects, not just medicine (:

ohhhhh okay, so it's basically a summer school?
thank you :smile: i didn't really understand before
Reply 91
ohhhhh okay, so it's basically a summer school?
thank you :smile: i didn't really understand before

yes, it's a summer school :smile: they run at many different universities and they all offer a different range of courses. You're very welcome!
Original post by wren94

Original post by wren94
yes, it's a summer school :smile: they run at many different universities and they all offer a different range of courses. You're very welcome!

have you applied for it? it sounds really interesting actually, i might research it now, thank you! :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by wren94
Sure, well the journey was fun and we were all met at the station by 'CAMbassadors' where our luggage was put in a van and then we walked to the college through the city centre where we got to know other people, then we all sat in the hall and went through health and safety, plans for the week etc., went to our rooms, got settled, dinner, ice-breakers, then lectures, seminars etc. in the days with breakfast and dinner altogether and lunch in our subject groups. There were activities in the evening like a walking tour, punting, a BOP etc. and there was loads to do. It was a fantastic experience and I made the most amazing friends there :smile: we were all so sad when it was time to go home and still all keep in touch :smile: definitely apply! :biggrin:

Do they tell you which trains to get or do you have to figure that one out for yourself? And do you get them on your own or will there be other people going to the summer school too? :smile:

I'd have to fly over from Northern Ireland so i don't know how that would work? :confused:
Reply 94
Do they tell you which trains to get or do you have to figure that one out for yourself? And do you get them on your own or will there be other people going to the summer school too? :smile:

I'd have to fly over from Northern Ireland so i don't know how that would work? :confused:

Nope, it's all arranged for you and the tickets are sent to you in advance. It depends where other people from your week are coming from, but many people will get to the station at the same time and on the way back when you know loads of people you're bound to have company on the way home :smile:

They'd find a way to get you there; one of the people there for music was from N.I. and another from Scotland and they organised it all for them :biggrin:
I went to the Medicine one at Nottingham back in 2007 (wow that was a long time ago...)

I had a brilliant time :biggrin: If I remember there were timetabled things to do in the days and social stuff in the evening which was pretty awesome. I'm still friends with some of the people I met there :smile:
Original post by wren94
Nope, it's all arranged for you and the tickets are sent to you in advance. It depends where other people from your week are coming from, but many people will get to the station at the same time and on the way back when you know loads of people you're bound to have company on the way home :smile:

They'd find a way to get you there; one of the people there for music was from N.I. and another from Scotland and they organised it all for them :biggrin:

That wasn't the case for me, we had to sort out ourselves how we were going to get there, and which trains etc we were going to get, but the costs were reimbursed after the summer school. They did ask us what time we were exoecting to arrive etc and sent a few mentors to meet eeryone at the station. Though they didn't tell us they would be there, so I was fretting the whole journy about how I was going to get to the uni from the station :L
Reply 97
Does anyone know how to find out your school's UCAS number? Is it just the same as the centre number...? I'm thinking of applying for medicine at either Bristol or Cambridge, but not sure which I'd have a better chance of getting in.. :/
Reply 98
That wasn't the case for me, we had to sort out ourselves how we were going to get there, and which trains etc we were going to get, but the costs were reimbursed after the summer school. They did ask us what time we were exoecting to arrive etc and sent a few mentors to meet eeryone at the station. Though they didn't tell us they would be there, so I was fretting the whole journy about how I was going to get to the uni from the station :L

Which one did you go to out of interest? :L
Reply 99
have you applied for it? it sounds really interesting actually, i might research it now, thank you! :smile:

I went on it last year :smile:

Quick Reply