The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Solent Accommodation.

So, i'm currently in the process of choosing my halls of residency, and i am interested in gathering some opinions from students currently living in halls.

-Which halls are you staying at (Deanery, Chantry, Hamwic, Kimber & DM Annexe or Lucia Foster welch)

-What type of room do you have? (En-suite/shared etc)

-What are the good, and bad points of your halls.

-Are you happy with your choice, and would you recommend it to someone starting in September 2012?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and a further thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Benthomas15
So, i'm currently in the process of choosing my halls of residency, and i am interested in gathering some opinions from students currently living in halls.

-Which halls are you staying at (Deanery, Chantry, Hamwic, Kimber & DM Annexe or Lucia Foster welch)

-What type of room do you have? (En-suite/shared etc)

-What are the good, and bad points of your halls.

-Are you happy with your choice, and would you recommend it to someone starting in September 2012?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and a further thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

- I'm at Mercury Point (the Libery Living halls, kind of like the overflow halls when Solent halls are full)

- My halls are extremely expensive and Lucia Foster is much cheaper. Really nice en suite rooms though.

- I didn't really have a choice but if halls are full, go for the annexe or Kimber if you're a quiet type or Deanery/Lucia Foster if you're the party type. Get your halls the minute you get your accom code if you want a chance of staying in solent halls.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by chlobofro
- I'm at Mercury Point (the Libery Living halls, kind of like the overflow halls when Solent halls are full)

- My halls are extremely expensive and Lucia Foster is much cheaper. Really nice en suite rooms though.

- I didn't really have a choice but if halls are full, go for the annexe or Kimber if you're a quiet type or Deanery/Lucia Foster if you're the party type. Get your halls the minute you get your accom code if you want a chance of staying in solent halls.

Thank you, that's extremely helpful. :smile: A couple of questions though.

-When did you apply for your accommodation? I'm just trying to gain a rough outline of how quickly they fill up.

-Also, when do applications for accommodation open up? The online application, has been under maintenance for days. I was hoping to get my application sent off soon.
Reply 3
Thank you, that's extremely helpful. :smile: A couple of questions though.

-When did you apply for your accommodation? I'm just trying to gain a rough outline of how quickly they fill up.

-Also, when do applications for accommodation open up? The online application, has been under maintenance for days. I was hoping to get my application sent off soon.

Oh wow, if you're applying for accom now then you're fine. If you're doing a BTEC, you get to pick and choose really or if you've already got A Levels. I had to do mine after results so didn't get in to Solent halls. You'll get somewhere halfway decent don't worry!
Reply 4
Oh wow, if you're applying for accom now then you're fine. If you're doing a BTEC, you get to pick and choose really or if you've already got A Levels. I had to do mine after results so didn't get in to Solent halls. You'll get somewhere halfway decent don't worry!

Ah right, you just put my mind at ease. :smile:

I took a year out after doing my BTEC. So i'm trying to get everything organised quite quickly if i can :smile:
Reply 5
Ah right, you just put my mind at ease. :smile:

I took a year out after doing my BTEC. So i'm trying to get everything organised quite quickly if i can :smile:

No worries :smile: Are you a fairly quiet person or a party party party kinda person?
Reply 6
No worries :smile: Are you a fairly quiet person or a party party party kinda person?

Hmm, i think I'm in the middle. I definitely enjoy nights out with friends regularly, but i would need some quiet time by the end of the week. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hmm, i think I'm in the middle. I definitely enjoy nights out with friends regularly, but i would need some quiet time by the end of the week. :biggrin:

Oooh deffo go for Deanery then :smile:
Reply 8
Oooh deffo go for Deanery then :smile:

That's great, The Deanery looks quite nice aswell :smile:

Thanks alot for your help. You've been a ton of help :biggrin:
Reply 9
That's great, The Deanery looks quite nice aswell :smile:

Thanks alot for your help. You've been a ton of help :biggrin:

No problem! I live opposite Deanery so I have loads of info. If you want to ask anything else, just pm me!
im looking at Deanery too :smile: lemme know if you do move chose them! would be nice to know of someone haahah, im terrified about new people but mega excited too!
Reply 11
my friend that goes there now said that probs kimber would be best for ensuite and NOT to go for chantry as its like a hostel lol
I'll probs go for kimber or deanery myself (en-suite) but if you don't care too much then Lucia Foster (un-suite) was voted the best halls apparently.

I guess it's down to personal preference
Reply 12
Can anyone who's already at an en-suite hall please post some pictures or just give a basic sum up of the residence? :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone who is currently at solent, can you help me out

I just firmed solent as my choice for this september, im still at college at the moment and im taking a national diploma, so I wont have my certificate till august

when am i able to apply for halls ?, because i firmed over a week ago and no paperwork has arrived from the uni

and i will be applying for lucia foster, are these the "party" halls ? , as thats what im looking for

Reply 14
Original post by cgvince
Anyone who is currently at solent, can you help me out

I just firmed solent as my choice for this september, im still at college at the moment and im taking a national diploma, so I wont have my certificate till august

when am i able to apply for halls ?, because i firmed over a week ago and no paperwork has arrived from the uni

and i will be applying for lucia foster, are these the "party" halls ? , as thats what im looking for

Website says online applications should open at the end of march :smile:
Reply 15
I went around the uni for the applicant open day on Saturday and also experienced the night life the night before. All Staff and students were friendly and were more than happy to help. The main campus itself is really neat and is situated in a great location in the city, 5 mins walk to clubs and shopping centre. The Deanery (en-suite) accommodation looks neat from both outside and inside however the rooms were very small and cramped considering they cost up to £120 pw.
Reply 16
Website says online applications should open at the end of march :smile:

Thanks ! , can you link to where it says this ? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by cgvince
Thanks ! , can you link to where it says this ? :smile:

http://www.solent.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/booking/online-application.aspx

There you go! :smile:
Reply 18
I'm in Deanery at the moment and I'm so happy I chose it! I took a year out so already had my results from college - this meant I got first pick of halls. You tend to find most people in Deanery took a year or two out because it's quite popular so fills up first.

The rooms do seem small but I have managed to fit everything in! I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the space. Plus you get an en-suite which is a total life saver. I couldn't imagine going into a flat with total strangers and having to share a loo! At least in second year when you share a house you choose who you share your bathroom with!

A lot of the kitchens have been refurbished too which is really great. I also heard that over summer they'll b doing more of them as some people are still living in the old style kitchens.

But to sum it up, Deanery is most popular for en-suite and Lucia Foster is popular for non en-suite. I think it's because the kitchens are big in both of these halls plus you live in flats of 10-7 people. Hamwic and Kimber rooms are nice but the kitchens are very small and you live in corridor layout rather than your own flat. Chantry is least popular - it fills up last for a reason!

Hope this helps! Good luck =)
Reply 19
Original post by Melw1
I'm in Deanery at the moment and I'm so happy I chose it! I took a year out so already had my results from college - this meant I got first pick of halls. You tend to find most people in Deanery took a year or two out because it's quite popular so fills up first.

The rooms do seem small but I have managed to fit everything in! I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the space. Plus you get an en-suite which is a total life saver. I couldn't imagine going into a flat with total strangers and having to share a loo! At least in second year when you share a house you choose who you share your bathroom with!

A lot of the kitchens have been refurbished too which is really great. I also heard that over summer they'll b doing more of them as some people are still living in the old style kitchens.

But to sum it up, Deanery is most popular for en-suite and Lucia Foster is popular for non en-suite. I think it's because the kitchens are big in both of these halls plus you live in flats of 10-7 people. Hamwic and Kimber rooms are nice but the kitchens are very small and you live in corridor layout rather than your own flat. Chantry is least popular - it fills up last for a reason!

Hope this helps! Good luck =)

What was your first day like in halls ?, did you have fun and meet a load of new people, also what was the mix like for your halls was there a good mix between boys and girls ?

cheers :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest