The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STFU
Just found out my interview tommorow will be with Dr Chaudhuri, is this good or bad :s-smilie:

Think of it as a good thing. Having a good mentality really helps.

Original post by singh224
Hey I just got a mail saying I've a interview with *Professor Manikas... Any suggestion on what type of questions t look out fr?

If you read up, you'd have found this:

Original post by Dark-Myth
Then don't worry too much about it. It's pretty chilled, they just want to know that you are who you say are. Read your PS, be prepared to talk about it. Revise some maths that you have done, but don't stress.

I wasn't asked any technical questions. But a friend of mine who went to the same interview was asked a integration question that he couldn't do. He figured out afterwards how to do it, and was kicking himself. But hey, we both got offers.

Who is interviewer? I might know him.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by MOKHLOB
Did you put any predicted grades down on UCAS for STEP ?

I didn't have STEP on UCAS at all.
Reply 3062
Original post by Edwin Okli
Hehe, thank you. I think they got fed up of my emails. I get the impression they don't rate STEP I since they asked me whether I'd be sitting II or III or the AEA. So I said I was doing STEP II so that would explain my offer.

You have Cambridge, that's a reason for me to be jealous.

Haha, did you repeatedly pester them? Perhaps I should try that technique... :biggrin:

I wouldn't be too jealous if I were you. While I'm very grateful for the offer, with the grades Cambridge have asked for, my chances of getting into Cambridge are statistically weighed against me. So I'd like a relatively safe insurance, but somewhere I also really want to go... Warwick's offer is more or less in the bag, but I too would prefer Imperial over Warwick, so I'm really hoping for an Imperial offer.
Reply 3063
Think of it as a good thing. Having a good mentality really helps.

If you read up, you'd have found this:

Do you know how competetitive ISE admissions is? Compared to EEE?
Reply 3064
Original post by Haney259
Just got an offer for aeronautical engineering :biggrin: beyond ecstatic!!

Hey, I got an offer from Aero as well :smile:) whats ur offer ?
Original post by Beth1234
Haha, did you repeatedly pester them? Perhaps I should try that technique... :biggrin:

I wouldn't be too jealous if I were you. While I'm very grateful for the offer, with the grades Cambridge have asked for, my chances of getting into Cambridge are statistically weighed against me. So I'd like a relatively safe insurance, but somewhere I also really want to go... Warwick's offer is more or less in the bag, but I too would prefer Imperial over Warwick, so I'm really hoping for an Imperial offer.

Well, almost repeatedly. I sent them one email which caused them to update my application details to include STEP II and then I sent them an email about my exam results on Friday just for a bit of reassurance that I'm on my way to getting an A* in Further Maths. I was expecting a reply on Monday but didn't get one then I saw that I had an offer that night. An indeed useful technique.

Thinking now, I do reckon that I wouldn't have gotten into Cambridge anyway (even if they had given me an offer) so it's probably for the best. Well, you'll probably get an offer some time soon. I doubt Imperial would turn you down if Cambridge didn't.

Oh and EEE? It's simultaneously the worst and best thing in the world. Most of the time it's quite standard: boring lectures, a lot of labs... If you know me, you will hear me bitch about how hard and how much time I'm spending in labs. But at the end of they day, I chose this course and the times when you enjoy it is when you hit that eureka moment when everything you've worked so hard for just comes together, and you get an A for that piece of code you've written, or an A for your group project.

I hope that helps?

It sure does, thanks! :smile:

Oh, houses seem more reasonable then. Haha labs get hard? :frown: A Levels labs are still standard boring experiments :frown: Since I'm sadly considering other unis over Imperial due to costs, does the Imperial experience offset the cost? Like, I tried comparing the course structure of Imperial's and other places, but my untrained eye can't tell the difference, besides "hey Imperial does C AND C++ in the first year, whereas this place only does C!" Student satisfaction rankings on lecturers and stuff are so subjective. What do you think?
Reply 3067
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

Below is a list of 2012 Applicants. Please feel free to add yourself to The Stalking Page as well. :smile:

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

Courtesy of arianex, below is a list of 'advisors' who have contributed to the thread in many ways :smile: If you have any questions, just quote or PM them, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help!

List of Active Awesome Advisors!

And finally, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :biggrin:

I got my offer just yesterday! I was utterly thrilled. :smile:

Username: Uoti
Subject: Physics (with a year in Europe)

I need to get AAA in physics, F maths and economics. I'm almost sure I can do it cos all I need are C grades for the summer exams to get A grades overall.

I'm massively psyched for Uni! Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 3068
Original post by Adstastic
Adstastic
Physics MSci

Finally got round to adding you to the list! :thumbsup: Can I congratulate you on an offer or are you still waiting? :smile:

Original post by Uoti
I got my offer just yesterday! I was utterly thrilled. :smile:

Username: Uoti
Subject: Physics (with a year in Europe)

I need to get AAA in physics, F maths and economics. I'm almost sure I can do it cos all I need are C grades for the summer exams to get A grades overall.

I'm massively psyched for Uni! Good luck everyone :smile:

Added :thumbsup: Congratulations on your offer! Will Imperial be your firm?

Notice how the Physics list is now rivalling the list of mathemagicians... Where's all the maths people gone... :confused:
Reply 3069
Finally got round to adding you to the list! :thumbsup: Can I congratulate you on an offer or are you still waiting? :smile:

Added :thumbsup: Congratulations on your offer! Will Imperial be your firm?

Notice how the Physics list is now rivalling the list of mathemagicians... Where's all the maths people gone... :confused:

I withdrew my application from Imperial :ahee:...sorry :colondollar:
Summer_Blazed
Physics MSci
firmed.
jmenkus
Physics MSci
Probable firm
Reply 3072
Original post by SParm
I withdrew my application from Imperial :ahee:...sorry :colondollar:

Doesn't matter... You're strictly speaking still an applicant - you put it down on your UCAS form, even if you never waited to hear a reply. :p:

I imagine Cambridge will be your firm? Which university are you choosing as an insurance?

Original post by summer_blazed
Summer_Blazed
Physics MSci
firmed.

Original post by jmenkus
jmenkus
Physics MSci
Probable firm

Added you both! :thumbsup:

...and now the physics list has beaten the maths one. :frown: How is that right?
Original post by bmqib
Do you know how competetitive ISE admissions is? Compared to EEE?

They're the same because EEE/ISE share most lectures. If you get onto one, you can switch to the other within the first 2 weeks.

Original post by purplesparks14
It sure does, thanks! :smile:

Oh, houses seem more reasonable then. Haha labs get hard? :frown: A Levels labs are still standard boring experiments :frown: Since I'm sadly considering other unis over Imperial due to costs, does the Imperial experience offset the cost? Like, I tried comparing the course structure of Imperial's and other places, but my untrained eye can't tell the difference, besides "hey Imperial does C AND C++ in the first year, whereas this place only does C!" Student satisfaction rankings on lecturers and stuff are so subjective. What do you think?

Well Labs are a mix actually. Some lab experiments I do actually have fun. Like the building of the EEBug, but standard ones that teach you how to use the oscilloscope and features of electrical components are pretty long and boring though.

Student satisfaction? Well, I blame the lack of girls :P
But then again, the course is leaving me to choose to have a life or sleep. So day times are pretty grim when you're permanently on a caffeine high. That said, I'm still quite glad I'm here, with a bunch of like-minded people. For me what is keeping me here is 40% people and 60% my friends.

Did any of you guys come on Weds for interview?
Reply 3074
Doesn't matter... You're strictly speaking still an applicant - you put it down on your UCAS form, even if you never waited to hear a reply. :p:

I imagine Cambridge will be your firm? Which university are you choosing as an insurance?

Well strictly speaking I never said I wasn't an applicant; I simply gave my reason for not being around and apologised =P...but I digress :smile:

It will indeed be my firm; but my insurance is where I'm having trouble. Probably between Durham and Bath but I can't choose which =/...don't want too STEP offers hence why Warwick is probably out of the equation.

How about you? Those are some pretty harsh STEP conditions for ya :s-smilie:...are you gonna insure Warwick or wait it our for Imperial :smile:?
ooh add me to the list too please?

Physics with Theoretical Physics offer here :smile:

My interview went pretty well (i think) I was asked like 5 technical questions out of which i got 4 right and I had half of 5th right. Hoping for a offer now :redface:
Original post by singh224
My interview went pretty well (i think) I was asked like 5 technical questions out of which i got 4 right and I had half of 5th right. Hoping for a offer now :redface:

Nice one. You most probably will. It's not about getting it right, it's about how you communicated yourself. If you did that part well, which I'm sure you did, then you'll get an offer :smile:
Well Labs are a mix actually. Some lab experiments I do actually have fun. Like the building of the EEBug, but standard ones that teach you how to use the oscilloscope and features of electrical components are pretty long and boring though.

Student satisfaction? Well, I blame the lack of girls :P
But then again, the course is leaving me to choose to have a life or sleep. So day times are pretty grim when you're permanently on a caffeine high. That said, I'm still quite glad I'm here, with a bunch of like-minded people. For me what is keeping me here is 40% people and 60% my friends.

I see! Keeping you here?! Sounds like it's a hard task to stay hehe. I'm sure it'd be hard anywhere, albeit a little less intimidating than Imperial. I bet you have lots of smart coursemates!

No I didnt, international applicant. :smile: Let's see which uni I'll end up choosing then! :smile:
Reply 3079
Original post by johnconnor92
Any international chemical engineering applicants have heard from Imperial?

Yes I havent heard from them too! :frown: but I don't understand if I am rejected why I haven't i get my rejection letter either! This is so annoying and worrisome! :/

Latest

Trending

Trending