The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birterillo
Hi, I know this is an old post, but just looking through I noticed a few people have said things like this. It might be worth noting that Sheffield changed their admissions policy this year. They considered all applicants with an above average UKCAT (625), and we aren't quite sure where they moved the emphasis to... but probably PS. Can't say how they'll do it next year, but they have changed.
Last year i think it was 717.5 or above for an interview. This year I have managed an offer with 632.5. So potentially Sheffield might be moving out of the UKCAT loving category.

:O REALLY?! OMG. **** is going down. Why didn't I know this?! WILL GET RESEARCHING, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Original post by OJC
Do I resit biology unit 1 with 80? because its only JUST an A or work really hard for unit 2???? :s-smilie:

Well. I am ngl, but only because my ISA will drag my grade down a tonne. :\
Original post by calender1994
:

thanks for the answer and what do you mean a scam and is it a good uni and at the medsim wud we have to sit the application test?:colondollar:

OK, so i'll try to explain as best i can.

There are significantly more people in the UK who want to do medicine than there are places to do medicine, about 3:1 overall. Therefore there's a considerable number of people every year who don't get places but are desperate enough to move to a country hundreds of miles away where they don't speak the language, just so they can study medicine.

Charles University is not bad, it's about as old as Cambridge, and very prestigious, the medicine course isn't bad either and it's in English.

The reason i said it was likea scam, is because it's enticing young and impressionable students into the idea that there's an easy route into medicine, when studying in Prague is an awful idea. You wouldn't be able to communicate with patients or the general public, and when you came back to the UK you wouldn't be respected by colleagues.

So, yeah you could but shouldn't.

Medsim wouldn't make you sit it.
Reply 1622
Original post by OJC
Do I resit biology unit 1 with 80? because its only JUST an A or work really hard for unit 2???? :s-smilie:

Im in the same position as you!
Got 80 UMS in bio unit 1, after much thought just decided to focus on unit 2.
Got 75 UMS in chem unit 1 so im resitting that for a hopeful A (chem 1 is not that bad though)
Hello :smile:
So I was wondering if any of you could help me?
I am a y13 medical school applicant and because I got
an offer my year leader has asked me to do a talk/q&a session
with the y12 prospective medics at my school which I'm looking forward
to so I was just wondering what sort of things you think I should talk about?
Thanks xxx
Original post by Annalouxxxx
Thanks xxx

All prospective medicine students want to know why you got an offer.Show them what grades you got, work experience, volunteering etc, because honestly, the minute I hear someone has an offer, I litterally scrutinise every single thing about them, to understand why they got one - and then use it to try and better myself as an applicant. I hate to say it, but it's all about comparisons. Just share your experience of the whole thing, any hints and tips of the admissions process, and what you wish you'd known. The biggest thing though, is about your experience and what you know, and what you've learnt.

Your going to be ask a LOT if their grades are good enough - prepare for this. Your going to be asked a LOT what to do when you cant get hospital work experience etc. At first, people might seem unwilling to ask questions, so first explain yourself, who you are, why you applied, and then the questions will come rolling in.
Original post by ameelia22
All prospective medicine students want to know why you got an offer.Show them what grades you got, work experience, volunteering etc, because honestly, the minute I hear someone has an offer, I litterally scrutinise every single thing about them, to understand why they got one - and then use it to try and better myself as an applicant. I hate to say it, but it's all about comparisons. Just share your experience of the whole thing, any hints and tips of the admissions process, and what you wish you'd known. The biggest thing though, is about your experience and what you know, and what you've learnt.

Your going to be ask a LOT if their grades are good enough - prepare for this. Your going to be asked a LOT what to do when you cant get hospital work experience etc. At first, people might seem unwilling to ask questions, so first explain yourself, who you are, why you applied, and then the questions will come rolling in.

Thanks thats really helpful :smile:
I think the only thing I'd wish I had thought more about was matching yourself to what medical schools want to give myself the best chance
Sounds silly but its true
I definitely agree with the last bit, it will probably be a bit quiet at first
I'm kinda worried that I won't be super helpful :/
Would you like to know any of those things? x
Thanks xxx

Ameelia pretty much said it all but make sure you stress the importance of getting a long term volunteering place and just getting work experience as early as possible.
Maybe mention that when applying take into consideration the different ways in which universities rank their applicants - whether it be on ukcat/bmat or base it more on PS and all that, so they know to apply carefully when they do :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Ameelia pretty much said it all but make sure you stress the importance of getting a long term volunteering place and just getting work experience as early as possible.
Maybe mention that when applying take into consideration the different ways in which universities rank their applicants - whether it be on ukcat/bmat or base it more on PS and all that, so they know to apply carefully when they do :smile:

Thank you :smile: This is all really helpful!
So would you say like more focus on the actual applying than say interview? x
Thank you :smile: This is all really helpful!
So would you say like more focus on the actual applying than say interview? x

Oo interview would be helpful too! I have heard pretty much zilch about interviews in the talks at my college... but a balance would be better, just try and make it half and half i guess :biggrin:
Can you come to my college and do it for us too? hahah. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Oo interview would be helpful too! I have heard pretty much zilch about interviews in the talks at my college.

Have people done talks at your college?
Well its probably because you have to be careful what you say about interviews
but if you have any general questions then let me know :smile:
Haha aww that's nice :smile:
Oo interview would be helpful too! I have heard pretty much zilch about interviews in the talks at my college... but a balance would be better, just try and make it half and half i guess :biggrin:

SUP mocking bird :wink: You want to do med too? :biggrin:

And sorry I only just logged in after like a week, so I didn't see the message you left me. replyiiingg naaaow ^^
anyone doing these Kaplan things? School managed to get them to come in for a 3-day discounted price session so might as well go on it :smile:
Also, in the midst of doing Bio+Chem EMPA. AQA Bio EMPA is so messed up, the table was insane compared to every one of the ones in previous years...had like 5 main columns and a few sub-columns within those :/
Original post by Boom533
Also, in the midst of doing Bio+Chem EMPA. AQA Bio EMPA is so messed up, the table was insane compared to every one of the ones in previous years...had like 5 main columns and a few sub-columns within those :/

Please don't say that, I have mine next week, now I'm worried!!! At least my chem one isn't for ages, don't actually think we're doing it till after Easter...insane teacher :/
Is anyone going to the tims day this weekend?
Reply 1635
Original post by sach21sk
Im in the same position as you!
Got 80 UMS in bio unit 1, after much thought just decided to focus on unit 2.
Got 75 UMS in chem unit 1 so im resitting that for a hopeful A (chem 1 is not that bad though)

Same! I've decided its not worth the extra hassle and revision to resit as it is still an A and I feel lucky to have that!....So here goes for unit 2!
Original post by Boom533

I only did 5 :s but the EMPA was pretty annoying! Wasn't even something good like enzymes.njust ecersize. I gave uo PE for a reason?..
Wish I didn't open my emails. I've just been rejected from the work experience I applied ti for the summer, that's everywhere I've applied to (quite a few places) who've let me down now. I may as well not bother now :cry2:
Reply 1638
Original post by calender1994
:

thanks for the answer and what do you mean a scam and is it a good uni and at the medsim wud we have to sit the application test?:colondollar:

Original post by Orinincandenza
OK, so i'll try to explain as best i can.

There are significantly more people in the UK who want to do medicine than there are places to do medicine, about 3:1 overall. Therefore there's a considerable number of people every year who don't get places but are desperate enough to move to a country hundreds of miles away where they don't speak the language, just so they can study medicine.

Charles University is not bad, it's about as old as Cambridge, and very prestigious, the medicine course isn't bad either and it's in English.

The reason i said it was likea scam, is because it's enticing young and impressionable students into the idea that there's an easy route into medicine, when studying in Prague is an awful idea. You wouldn't be able to communicate with patients or the general public, and when you came back to the UK you wouldn't be respected by colleagues.

So, yeah you could but shouldn't.

Medsim wouldn't make you sit it.

this is true, the drop-out rates for uk students in these med schools are high because they'll just fail you if you can't communicate well enough in your pre-clinical years. Imagine having to quit during 2 or 3 years of medical training?

And the qualifications aren't normally completely transferrable to this country, you'd have to take a couple exams. I wouldn't agree that 'you wouldn't be respected by your colleagues',

why so? Your colleagues are doctors not investment bankers who all studied in target unis. Many asian doctors studied in their native countries and emigrated here because of the great demand for them from the government. They had to take exams too.

If you do not get in the first time, and you feel medicine is worth the effort, definitely apply again. It's not really worth applying to somewhere that isn't the UK, Australia or the US (it's arguably harder with british qualifications, I would say don't bother with the US actually)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Boom533
anyone doing these Kaplan things? School managed to get them to come in for a 3-day discounted price session so might as well go on it :smile:

Yep, 100% down for that.

Original post by Boom533

Christ, I've got the Chem one after easter :| apparently, they're hard as ****. NOT looking forward to it :"(

Original post by Obsolescence
Wish I didn't open my emails. I've just been rejected from the work experience I applied ti for the summer, that's everywhere I've applied to (quite a few places) who've let me down now. I may as well not bother now :cry2:

Look here **** happens, it's really unfortunate for you, and I sympathise loads but everyone has been in that position at one time or another - you just have to pick yourself up and move on. Try and different tactic, use other means of getting experience, other types of experience. Just don't give me this crap about giving up - medics don't do that, we don't do that. If you need some specific advise PM me and I'll help you as much as I can.

Latest

Trending

Trending