The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal
Get out :hmmm:

:sad:
Did anyone watch Pointless tonight?

The final round was naming members of the Wales 2011 RWC squad - I had 3 out of 5 of the Pointless answers. :coma:
Original post by marcusmerehay
Did anyone watch Pointless tonight?

The final round was naming members of the Wales 2011 RWC squad - I had 3 out of 5 of the Pointless answers. :coma:

Just iplayered it; there are some surprising names that people got and also some staggering one that nobody named...
Original post by TheBugler
I second that :frown:

I third that, 3 operations due to rugby and i am only 16
Original post by pinkpenguin
I play fly half. So no. :tongue:

Hey, it's nothing personal, it's just my job to catch you guys! Once or twice I've managed it :cool:
Get out :hmmm:

A fellow forwards, perhaps?
Original post by IQ Test

All the best people are/were forwards.
Reply 5127

Welcome.

Did anyone see Calum Clark dislocate Hawkin's elbow well after the whistle in the LV Cup final yesterday? Absolute prize scumbag. Hope he gets a massive ban. Has previous too (headbutting and punching in an U20s game).

Urgh, that's horrible. I think Clark's a very good player and since he's been at the Saints he's cleaned up his act a lot (after being rowdy for his first few weeks he's just been like anyone else, he's developed into a good leader too) but there's no excuses for that, even against Leicester.
Original post by IQ Test
Hey, it's nothing personal, it's just my job to catch you guys! Once or twice I've managed it :cool:

I'm just bitter for getting charged down for a try a few weeks ago :angry:
Reply 5129
Original post by IQ Test

I was a prop
(edited 12 years ago)
BOD back for Leinster on Friday.

Thank **** for that.
Reply 5131

Welcome.

Did anyone see Calum Clark dislocate Hawkin's elbow well after the whistle in the LV Cup final yesterday? Absolute prize scumbag. Hope he gets a massive ban. Has previous too (headbutting and punching in an U20s game).

That's horrendous. It looks like there's intent there - I guess he could be trying to pull the guy, as we can't see the other side, but it seems likely he actively tried to break the other guy's arm - and if so this deserves at least a 6 month ban and a prosecution for assault, maybe ABH.

I don't know why rugby tolerates these things to the extent it does. I mean, if a footballer punches another footballer, he'll not just be sent off, he'll have a hugely long ban. If a man in the street did it, he'd be prosecuted. Yet when Tuilangi did the same, horrendously badly (if you watch a slow-mo replay of the punch Ashton's head get's completely distorted), he got a yellow and a 5 week ban.

These kind of incidents should simply be unacceptable, and punished far far harder across the board than they are. It goes beyond punishment in the game, these kind of players should have criminal records.
Reply 5132
Original post by Drogue
That's horrendous. It looks like there's intent there - I guess he could be trying to pull the guy, as we can't see the other side, but it seems likely he actively tried to break the other guy's arm - and if so this deserves at least a 6 month ban and a prosecution for assault, maybe ABH.

I don't know why rugby tolerates these things to the extent it does. I mean, if a footballer punches another footballer, he'll not just be sent off, he'll have a hugely long ban. If a man in the street did it, he'd be prosecuted. Yet when Tuilangi did the same, horrendously badly (if you watch a slow-mo replay of the punch Ashton's head get's completely distorted), he got a yellow and a 5 week ban.

These kind of incidents should simply be unacceptable, and punished far far harder across the board than they are. It goes beyond punishment in the game, these kind of players should have criminal records.

It looked to me as though he positioned his weight over the joint and then pulled the arm backwards. I can't really see any legitimate reason to do that
Reply 5133
It looked to me as though he positioned his weight over the joint and then pulled the arm backwards. I can't really see any legitimate reason to do that

I thought the arm was beside him and he grabbed it and rolled over, pulling it back, with another player being the one beside who ended up on top of the arm? From what we can see, it's possible Hawkins was on the ball preventing a quick penalty and Clarke was trying to pull him off it, or somesuch. I doubt it, it looks to me it the intention was to injured, but I don't think it's completely clear cut. The video isn't good enough to be sure there was no legitimate reason, as we can't see the other side of the ruck where it all happened.

Frankly, even if there was legitimate reason causing that kind of injury is never ok. To me the difference is whether it should be a suspension for a few weeks (unable to show intent) or a fair few months and a criminal prosecution (if intent can be shown).
(edited 12 years ago)
It looks like there was intent to me. The way he nonchalantly gets up slowly seems to indicate he's trying to make it look like nothing happened and also shows he's in no mad rush to take the penalty. Hawkins' arm is broken and his season is over. There's gotta be a citing charge at the very minimum for that.

The scary thing is so little has been said about it in the post-match reporting. There was a very awkward moment after the game when Cockerill clearly had a word with Clark about something. I'd have been terrified!!

They've got until the end of today or something to cite him so we shall see.. feels like BOD 2005 a little bit if he doesn't get cited.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5135
Original post by Drogue

I think the current penalties are about right, but I'd prefer it if they were measured in match bans (Tuilagi was banned for about 1 match IIRC). Playing in a rugby match is a unique environment and everyone is far more pumped up. If everyone who punched someone got a lengthy ban there'd be about 4 players allowed to play in the Premiership at the moment.

I think another thing to account for is the attitude in rugby that what happens on pitch stays on pitch, which isn't the case in football.
Original post by Mufasaa
I think the current penalties are about right, but I'd prefer it if they were measured in match bans (Tuilagi was banned for about 1 match IIRC). Playing in a rugby match is a unique environment and everyone is far more pumped up. If everyone who punched someone got a lengthy ban there'd be about 4 players allowed to play in the Premiership at the moment.

I think another thing to account for is the attitude in rugby that what happens on pitch stays on pitch, which isn't the case in football.

Agreed that bans need not go over the top - Digby Ioane's one that he just recently got was wayyyyyy too much for the tackle he made. (he got 5 weeks for this http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/03/2431/digby-ioane-suspended-for-five-weeks-for-tip-tackle-on-coetzee)

But then there are other things that get very little punishment. Eg Burger's eye gouge in the second lions test, BOD 2005 (standard..) and if this one doesn't even get mentioned then it's up there with the worst.

I get people will make bad tackles, some of them will be clumsy. Those people should get a small ban. But when there are players out there who committ genuine acts of thuggery with the intent to injure someone - Clark, Hartley at times, Burger - then they need to be suitably punished with a few months on the sidelines. The game is dangerous enough as it is without this kind of behaviour. Parents will be even more reluctant to let their kids play.
Agreed that bans need not go over the top - Digby Ioane's one that he just recently got was wayyyyyy too much for the tackle he made. (he got 5 weeks for this http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/03/2431/digby-ioane-suspended-for-five-weeks-for-tip-tackle-on-coetzee)

But then there are other things that get very little punishment. Eg Burger's eye gouge in the second lions test, BOD 2005 (standard..) and if this one doesn't even get mentioned then it's up there with the worst.

I think 5 was probably about right. He drove him down at 45 degrees, which is not putting the guy down safely. The touch judge should have recommended a red card for that; it's very clear in the law book.

The most shocking thing about the 2009 one is that the ****ing touch judge saw it and only doled out a yellow. How the bleeding hell he's still allowed to ref internationals (or for that matter any game) is beyond me. Gouging, biting and tripping are all totally unacceptable and anybody caught doing it should have a minimum of a six month ban if we want to stop it in the game. Someone getting 12 weeks for a bite when the guy who turns around a lays him out with a right hook gets 8 isn't right...
Lot of news coming out of Limerick today - Flannery retired :sad:, TOL off to London Irish :awesome, Mafi off to Perpingan :sad:

Small tribute video to the great man:

It looks like there was intent to me. The way he nonchalantly gets up slowly seems to indicate he's trying to make it look like nothing happened and also shows he's in no mad rush to take the penalty. Hawkins' arm is broken and his season is over. There's gotta be a citing charge at the very minimum for that.

The scary thing is so little has been said about it in the post-match reporting. There was a very awkward moment after the game when Cockerill clearly had a word with Clark about something. I'd have been terrified!!

They've got until the end of today or something to cite him so we shall see.. feels like BOD 2005 a little bit if he doesn't get cited.

Cited.

If found guilty don't be surprised if he gets a ban of similar length to Attoub's gouging ban.

Quick Reply

Latest