The Student Room Group

General A level History help (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

crocker710
Perhaps you're better suited to helping with the previous post than I am :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stricof
Perhaps you're better suited to helping with the previous post than I am :tongue:

Cheers stricof; I saw this on my thread, although I'm sure you've got as good a knowledge as I do :wink: Sorry for the delay in responses but it's the last week of lent term and as you can imagine having four essays (C. 2500 words) due in this week my time is rare :smile:
Original post by ItsAlz
Hi there! I am currently writing my History coursework out for A level! Its a proper mess at the moment, as i also have to consider historians views using contemporary and primary sources! such a pain.. The question I am currently working on is:
"To what extent do you consider collectivisation a key turning point in the development of agriculture, government and society in Russia from 1825-2000?"

Can you just give me a list of things I can consider in this essay including other key turning points other than Collectivisation? Thankyou so much it'd be of great help!
What have you done so far? It'll be easier if I can see or have plan as from there I'll best be able to help.

In the mean time here's a bit of advice.

In the title you've outlined three areas to investigate, the political sphere, the social sphere and part of the economic sphere (you've omitted industrialisated development). Go through each one dealing with collectivisation as a turning point. show how it can be considered the key turning point (this is where primary sources and historians views can be used), but then I personally would then give a historians view that collectivisation wasn't the key turning point. Then go on to examine other turning points within the theme. Conclude at the end of the theme-paragraph and in the conclusion draw together your findings (try to angle your evidence and argument so it's consistent i.e. show that it was in at least 2 of the 3 paragraphs or in none or just one; basically made a judgment before you start).

sorry if that's a bit confusing; I'm still in the process of editing / writing / formatting these essays,

- To what extent did Italy overcome the consequences of the Great War and the collapse of its institutions up to 1935?
- What motivated the European immigration to the United States in the period 1865 - 1914?
- To what extent was the Liberal Party’s ambitious programme of social reform between 1906 and 1914 simply a cynical ploy to win votes?
- Vietnam veterans’ psychological problems arose as much from their postwar as from their wartime experiences. Discuss.

none of which are on Russia unfortunately :rolleyes:

Tom :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by crocker710
Cheers stricof; I saw this on my thread, although I'm sure you've got as good a knowledge as I do :wink: Sorry for the delay in responses but it's the last week of lent term and as you can imagine having four essays (C. 2500 words) due in this week my time is rare :smile:What have you done so far? It'll be easier if I can see or have plan as from there I'll best be able to help.

In the mean time here's a bit of advice.

In the title you've outlined three areas to investigate, the political sphere, the social sphere and part of the economic sphere (you've omitted industrialisated development). Go through each one dealing with collectivisation as a turning point. show how it can be considered the key turning point (this is where primary sources and historians views can be used), but then I personally would then give a historians view that collectivisation wasn't the key turning point. Then go on to examine other turning points within the theme. Conclude at the end of the theme-paragraph and in the conclusion draw together your findings (try to angle your evidence and argument so it's consistent i.e. show that it was in at least 2 of the 3 paragraphs or in none or just one; basically made a judgment before you start).

sorry if that's a bit confusing; I'm still in the process of editing / writing / formatting these essays,

- To what extent did Italy overcome the consequences of the Great War and the collapse of its institutions up to 1935?
- What motivated the European immigration to the United States in the period 1865 - 1914?
- To what extent was the Liberal Party’s ambitious programme of social reform between 1906 and 1914 simply a cynical ploy to win votes?
- Vietnam veterans’ psychological problems arose as much from their postwar as from their wartime experiences. Discuss.

none of which are on Russia unfortunately :rolleyes:

Thankyou so much! If it is okay with you, can i mail you what i've written? It doesn't allow me to attach files on inbox on here. If you could inbox me your email address so i can send it over to you and you can then review it! Constructive criticism would be helpful! Take your time, you must be hella busy! but thanks a lot for the advice!
Original post by ItsAlz
Thankyou so much! If it is okay with you, can i mail you what i've written? It doesn't allow me to attach files on inbox on here. If you could inbox me your email address so i can send it over to you and you can then review it! Constructive criticism would be helpful! Take your time, you must be hella busy! but thanks a lot for the advice!

I'd prefer it if you could copy it into a private message as that way everything stays on TSR,

Reply 84
Original post by crocker710
I'd prefer it if you could copy it into a private message as that way everything stays on TSR,

OK thats cool.. though my footnotes won't be included...
Reply 85
Hey was wondering if you guys knew anything about the AQA exam board and how you could get A* in them. im doing AS history and the boundaries for an A are at like 70-75% so if i did say get 75% in the 2 AS units but got 90% in A2 (so my coursework and the one exam) would i be able to get that A*?? thanks :biggrin:
This may have already been asked but how many paragraphs should there be in a part a edexcel unit 2?
is it just one on agree and one on disagree..?

thanks
I found this thread now straight after I completed both my exams :mad:
Reply 88
hi, i just wanted to know, whether any aspect of the controversy can come up as a 30 mark question. i am already only going to do the controversy question on the war, so it cuts revision time. and i wanted to know if any part of the controversy can come up for a 30 mark question. thanky you :smile:
Reply 89
hiya, i am doing OCR, not edexcel, but i am pretty desperate right now.

ive written a few essays over the last couple of days. my exam is tuesday morning and this week is half term. i have no way of contacting my teacher before monday and i am desperate for some feedback on my essays. is anyone willing to have a look at them?? its on civil rights in the USA. it doesnt matter if you know nothing about the course, its mainly the structure (thematically) that im a bit worried about. please please please help me!!
Reply 90
Can anyone help me? What sort of stuff would you put in an essay about Napoleons Domestic Reforms? Anyone got an essay outline or something I can look at?
Reply 91
Any revision notes or guides for aqa as history?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 92
This is great, thank you :smile:
First of all, this is such a great thread - so useful! Thanks for making it XD

Also, (hey guys by the way :smile:) so I know this was written by last year's Y13 historians, and I'm just doing my Y13 coursework now (on Russia, by the way), but please tell me someone can give a bit of guidance!

It's a quite general problem and one other Y13's have probably encountered (especially with the Edexcel spec) - I really don't understand how to fill in my sources table! Like, the table/sheet thing we have to fill in to document the sources used in our two essays... It's just so confusing!

My teacher hasn't explained how to fill it in at all and I'm having real problems with it... Could someone help if I put the different column headings we have to fill out for each source and I'll say what I know about each of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated XP

Issue - I think this is something to do with the period, or what the source focuses on, maybe?
Sources - I think I get this one, it's just what the source is and where it's from/the author :s-smilie:
Comments - Really don't understand this one. Is this something to do with value? Reliability? Context or something? Who knows... :confused:
Then there's stuff to do with the teacher - comments and signature, obviously I don't need to bother with that...

Any reply offering any help at all would be so great, I need to get this done this half-term or my teacher... Man,I think she might kill me... XO
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stricof
Hmm well Unit 2 is slightly different. As Q1 is source based and Q2 is combination of the two.

I can PM you writing technique on this if you wish. Even if you know the knowledge you can still get a U if you dont know how to write it. I plan to go into much more depth in this help page later though.

Can you please PM me about writing technique!!! that's what let me down in the exam.
Original post by tsveta
hiya, i am doing OCR, not edexcel, but i am pretty desperate right now.

ive written a few essays over the last couple of days. my exam is tuesday morning and this week is half term. i have no way of contacting my teacher before monday and i am desperate for some feedback on my essays. is anyone willing to have a look at them?? its on civil rights in the USA. it doesnt matter if you know nothing about the course, its mainly the structure (thematically) that im a bit worried about. please please please help me!!

I'm on OCR as well!!! how did it go last year? I'm so worried about the huge time scale and I have no idea how to include everything, but not include too much. I have a tendency of going into too much detail, but I fail to see how you can't when there is so much information. If you have any helpful advice I would be so thankful!
Reply 96
Wow this thread is full of awesome, is anyone else doing Women's Suffrage with edexcel? in jan
Ah thank you so much, I'm doing The British Empire: Colonisation and Decolonisation if there's anyone who can help?
What's the best way to write 24 essays to get a grade c
Reply 99
Original post by Stricof
Hmm well Unit 2 is slightly different. As Q1 is source based and Q2 is combination of the two.

I can PM you writing technique on this if you wish. Even if you know the knowledge you can still get a U if you dont know how to write it. I plan to go into much more depth in this help page later though.

would you be able to PM me the technique aswell please? it would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest