The Student Room Group

BREAKDOWN OF AO's for OCR AS English Literature?

Hey guys! Just wanted to know if any of you guys could help me out with exactly how to meet each of the AO criterias to really hit the top bands for my comparative coursework piece. Here are the AO's:
AO1: Excellent and consistently detailed understanding of at least two texts and task undertaken
Consistently fluent and accurate writing in appropriate register
Critical terminology accurately accurately and confidently used
Well structured, coherent and detailed argument consitently developed throughout the answer
AO3:colone:xcellent and consistently detailed effective comparison of relationships between texts
Well informed and effective exploration of different readings of texts
AO4: consistently well developed and consistently detailed well informed understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood, as appropriate to the task undertaken.
All help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by PanicAttack
Hey guys! Just wanted to know if any of you guys could help me out with exactly how to meet each of the AO criterias to really hit the top bands for my comparative coursework piece. Here are the AO's:
AO1: Excellent and consistently detailed understanding of at least two texts and task undertaken
Consistently fluent and accurate writing in appropriate register
Critical terminology accurately accurately and confidently used
Well structured, coherent and detailed argument consitently developed throughout the answer
AO3:colone:xcellent and consistently detailed effective comparison of relationships between texts
Well informed and effective exploration of different readings of texts
AO4: consistently well developed and consistently detailed well informed understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood, as appropriate to the task undertaken.
All help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

Hey I'm also doing this exam. I would say that it looks like you know what to do. Just make sure you're confident with the texts and you have all the quotes and themes in your head.

Just one question. Do you know what ao's we need for poetry and the novel comparisons..

is ao3 only included for poetry?
AO1 = essay writing. Writing style, syntax and Lexis.
AO2 = Terminology and argument.
AO3 = Symbolism and Imagery
AO4 = Understanding of historical context and impacts upon.

AO3 is included in both essays.
Reply 3
Original post by Hypedupturtle
AO1 = essay writing. Writing style, syntax and Lexis.
AO2 = Terminology and argument.
AO3 = Symbolism and Imagery
AO4 = Understanding of historical context and impacts upon.

AO3 is included in both essays.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_11/ocr_62028_ms_11_gce_f661.pdf
According to OCR, AO3 is connections and comparisons between different literary texts and alternative interpretations.
Original post by Markz123
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_11/ocr_62028_ms_11_gce_f661.pdf
According to OCR, AO3 is connections and comparisons between different literary texts and alternative interpretations.

Derp, my mistake :/

Cheers.
Reply 5
Derp, my mistake :/

Cheers.

Do you know whether the questions for prose is going to be on a specific chapter or just one theme? Please reply asap. :colondollar:
Recently they've followed the trend of themes - I firmly believe that that sort of chapter study no longer has a place in the specification. However, like you, I'm merely speculating on limited evidence, so prepare knowledge of the book in full detail.

Develop your individual readings though, focusing on Jane, Roch, St. John and Bertha. I'll quickly give you some of the brief basics:

Feminist readings - Jane trapped within patriarchal society, eventually embracing the freedom which her intellect and morals provide her.

Marxist - Class struggle, Jane's journey from low class to high class.

Historic - comment on whether the above are atypical of the era. Notice how Jane marrying for love was at the time a very new thing, with only Austen having dabbled in marriage for love thus far. Also focus strongly on the Romantic vs Augustan divide within the novel.

Colonial - Roch making his money from colonialism (moral response?). The effects of colonialism upon Bertha Mason - was her madness exacerbated as a symbol of the negativity of displacement from one's true origins. Is the book attempting to make a colonial statement.

Psychological - Bertha is a manifestation of Jane's Jungian shadow - uncivil where Jane is civil, feeling where jane is thinking, representing the moral and emotional incarceration that Jane is subject to (Feminism/Marxism.) Mention Freud, how Jane's need to find a male figure is due to her lack of a father figure throughout childhood - how she had no one to form an Elektra complex with.

Religious - Jane's rejection of orthodox religion in favour of the spiritual and traditional pagan beliefs (her constant allusion to Nature and fae.) Helen Burn's stoic beliefs (research Stoicism if you're unaware.) Importance of religion in society and effects of.

Etc etc. I'm sure you already know all these and I'm merely preaching to the choir, but people reinforcing the simple, basic elements is so useful for revision.
Reply 7
Hey I'm also doing this exam. I would say that it looks like you know what to do. Just make sure you're confident with the texts and you have all the quotes and themes in your head.

Just one question. Do you know what ao's we need for poetry and the novel comparisons..

is ao3 only included for poetry?

HI! I take it that you're doing OCR? Here are the AO's for each piece:
Coursework comparison: AO1, AO3 and AO4
Poetry: AO1, AO2 and AO4
Prose: AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO4
Got this right out of the mark scheme provided by my school. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Recently they've followed the trend of themes - I firmly believe that that sort of chapter study no longer has a place in the specification. However, like you, I'm merely speculating on limited evidence, so prepare knowledge of the book in full detail.

Develop your individual readings though, focusing on Jane, Roch, St. John and Bertha. I'll quickly give you some of the brief basics:

Feminist readings - Jane trapped within patriarchal society, eventually embracing the freedom which her intellect and morals provide her.

Marxist - Class struggle, Jane's journey from low class to high class.

Historic - comment on whether the above are atypical of the era. Notice how Jane marrying for love was at the time a very new thing, with only Austen having dabbled in marriage for love thus far. Also focus strongly on the Romantic vs Augustan divide within the novel.

Colonial - Roch making his money from colonialism (moral response?). The effects of colonialism upon Bertha Mason - was her madness exacerbated as a symbol of the negativity of displacement from one's true origins. Is the book attempting to make a colonial statement.

Psychological - Bertha is a manifestation of Jane's Jungian shadow - uncivil where Jane is civil, feeling where jane is thinking, representing the moral and emotional incarceration that Jane is subject to (Feminism/Marxism.) Mention Freud, how Jane's need to find a male figure is due to her lack of a father figure throughout childhood - how she had no one to form an Elektra complex with.

Religious - Jane's rejection of orthodox religion in favour of the spiritual and traditional pagan beliefs (her constant allusion to Nature and fae.) Helen Burn's stoic beliefs (research Stoicism if you're unaware.) Importance of religion in society and effects of.

Etc etc. I'm sure you already know all these and I'm merely preaching to the choir, but people reinforcing the simple, basic elements is so useful for revision.

The prose for my exam is different from yours. Mine is Dorian Gray.
Reply 9

So is mine
Reply 10
What about poetry? How is everyone revising for that? I'm starting to panic about how much of the texts we need to know off by heart :frown:...please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't started yet.
Reply 11
Original post by Abc1234x
What about poetry? How is everyone revising for that? I'm starting to panic about how much of the texts we need to know off by heart :frown:...please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't started yet.

I've starrted a bit for poetry & prose but have not complete it yet. Don't worry, just make sure you finish it by the end of next week because exams are approaching fast.

Once you do that, I'd say, just focus on test papers.
Reply 12
I've starrted a bit for poetry & prose but have not complete it yet. Don't worry, just make sure you finish it by the end of next week because exams are approaching fast.

Once you do that, I'd say, just focus on test papers.

Yeah, but even if i do the past papers, it's so difficult to know how well you have done in english. But, how are you choosing what quotes to remember?
Reply 13
Original post by Abc1234x
Yeah, but even if i do the past papers, it's so difficult to know how well you have done in english. But, how are you choosing what quotes to remember?

All you need to make sure is that what you write makes sense, is relevant to the question, includes quotes, has terminology with analysis and you'll be fine.
Reply 14

Original post by PanicAttack
So is mine

Snap! I'm doing Dorian Gray as well :biggrin:

What are the main themes/quotes you need to remember?
Reply 15
Original post by J.Star
Snap! I'm doing Dorian Gray as well :biggrin:

What are the main themes/quotes you need to remember?

Tbh, it can be any theme. But OCR are unpredictable. So you neva know.
Reply 16
All you need to make sure is that what you write makes sense, is relevant to the question, includes quotes, has terminology with analysis and you'll be fine.

Cool beans - thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending