The Student Room Group

Are medical students super-intelligent or studious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker12345
How do you need to be inteliigent to be studious? Studious = working hard, that's nothing to do with intelligence.

Proper studying; not memorizing definitions, but working hard to understand the content. THAT is what he meant by studying. So you could argue that there are different forms of studying.
Original post by Spontogical
Well you can't be getting 1st's and 2:1's through rote memorisation alone.

Yes you can, but it's irrelevant since medical degrees don't do 2:1s and 1sts anyway.
In all honesty they are nothing special, just try hards, from what I gather from the ones going on to do medicine from my school
Reply 23
Most aren't super intelligent. Most are willing to put the hours in.
Reply 24
my sister's a medic..we both lock ourselves in a room studying most of the time..i think in a way she's faster at picking up things like she naturally is clever, whereas me on the other hand is a different story :/ i work hours on end but dont get A's ..our brains are different man lol :/ saddd times.
Reply 25
I'm thick as hell and I got into med school...
Reply 26
Original post by Lansaaaa
Yes, I don't mean to sound rude but I have class-mates and peers who spend their lives revising and end up scraping 70% in exams.

Quality study/revision time > Quantity of study/revision time.

You could spend hours and hours revising but if it isn't an efficient way of studying or revising you are wasting your time.
Original post by Zara<3
yes..super intelligent, there is a difference, some people work their asses off and still don't get as far as people like medical students..they def have an innate ability to learn things quicker and more efficiently than your average joe..to do medicine you need to the UKCAT as well..and to be amazing at that, it really is about your IQ and whether you have it or not, and it isn't even anything to do with science, that really does test your pure intelligence. even practicing that doesn't really improve your scores but some people just naturally are amazing at it, which makes them progress to getting into medical school..therefore..PURE INTELLIGENCE

You joker:colone: :tongue:
Original post by NB_ide
That's how I did it...

Hmm I see. I personally hate rote; I don't feel like I'm learning anything properly.

Original post by Democracy
Yes you can, but it's irrelevant since medical degrees don't do 2:1s and 1sts anyway.

Oh yeah, it's just a pass/fail kind of thing. Unless its an intercalated one.
Reply 29
Original post by Raj K
my sister's a medic..we both lock ourselves in a room studying most of the time..i think in a way she's faster at picking up things like she naturally is clever, whereas me on the other hand is a different story :/ i work hours on end but dont get A's ..our brains are different man lol :/ saddd times.

She probably isn't. She's probably just devised a more efficient way of working than you.
Reply 30
Original post by Kinkerz
She probably isn't. She's probably just devised a more efficient way of working than you.

how should i work more efficiently though :/ give me some tips pleaseeeeee and do you think a month is enough time to do well in my exams if i revise effectively? any advise i would really appreciate!!!
Reply 31
Original post by Raj K
how should i work more efficiently though :/ give me some tips pleaseeeeee and do you think a month is enough time to do well in my exams if i revise effectively? any advise i would really appreciate!!!

Everybody has there own way of revising. What works for one person may or may not work for another. It's just trial and error to find the method of working that suits you best. For some, a month is more than enough time, for others it's not.
Bit of both like any other degree.
Reply 33
Thanks. Like I mentioned earlier, there's another girl in my year hoping to do medicine and she does nothing but study, no voluntary work/sport etc, but never does particularly well. So I suppose it's a combination of intelligence and hard work.
Reply 34
Original post by . .
Everybody has there own way of revising. What works for one person may or may not work for another. It's just trial and error to find the method of working that suits you best. For some, a month is more than enough time, for others it's not.

Thankksss!! but i cant stop panicking now :/
Reply 35
Students who have good study techniques and have good recall skills tend to do well at medical school. But generally those who have good learning skills are often a smart person anyway.

Remember that being able to regurgitate facts doesn't necessarily make a good doctor. A huge part of the job is people skills, ethics, diplomacy, team-work and leadership... there are plenty of hyper-intelligent people who are no good at those things and probably wouldn't make a 'great' physician.
Reply 36
Original post by Raj K
Thankksss!! but i cant stop panicking now :/

That's the worst thing you can do. Just make a revision timetable and stick to it. And relax. :biggrin:
Original post by Zara<3
yes..super intelligent, there is a difference, some people work their asses off and still don't get as far as people like medical students..they def have an innate ability to learn things quicker and more efficiently than your average joe..to do medicine you need to the UKCAT as well..and to be amazing at that, it really is about your IQ and whether you have it or not, and it isn't even anything to do with science, that really does test your pure intelligence. even practicing that doesn't really improve your scores but some people just naturally are amazing at it, which makes them progress to getting into medical school..therefore..PURE INTELLIGENCE

You, darling, are most definitely deluded.
Saying someone is "intelligent" is over simplistic.

Besides, science implies working hard makes you more intelligent anyway, the two aren't completely separate things.
Original post by Lansaaaa
Yes, I don't mean to sound rude but I have class-mates and peers who spend their lives revising and end up scraping 70% in exams.

Clearly they are not revising the right way then or they are memorising and not trying to understand the concepts. If u understand the concepts and do lots of past papers then everyone can get good grades in the sciences. Not sure about the other subjects cuz I haven't taken them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest