The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by ambrin ox
Strong electrostatic forces of attraction between delocalized electrons and positive metal ion.

Cheers!
Reply 241
Original post by TaraBelle
one was about why fuel for camping is in liquid form rather than as a gas. It's not because it more safe or easier to store, oh no, it's cause it takes up less stupid volume!

oh haha, i remember that! :smile:
Reply 242
Whos feeling reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly pumped?
Reply 243
June 10, 8a (part 2) and 8b. Could anyone explain these pls :smile:
Original post by ambrin ox
Lmaoo, that is the exact answer i put and looked at the stupid mark scheme and was like :confused:, now in the real thing I wouldve never even guessed that,

It's so annoying isn't it?! Also one in jan 2012, where there's two lone pairs and 3 bonding pairs, and the shape is trigonal planar not trigonal bypyramidal :frown:
Reply 245
Original post by popnit

For the N isotope, you know that isotopes have the same number of electrons as an atom of an element. So you know that no. neutrons = mass no - atomic no..
no. neutrons = 15 - 7 = 8 neutrons.
And 7 electrons/protons.

So the fundamental particles are 7 protons/electrons and 8 neutrons.
Original post by popnit

8a is literally just asking you how many neutrons, electrons and protons :smile: have a go?
Reply 247
Original post by popnit

8a) mass number is the total number of protons and neutrons of an atom.
So the fundamental particles will be 7 protons 7 electrons and 15-7=8 neutrons.

8b) Relative atomic mass: average mass of one atom of an element/mass of 1/12th
carbon 12 atom.
(95.12x14)+(4.88x15)/100= 14.05 to 2 dp

hope this helps!
Reply 248
Original post by popnit

For 8B,
RAM could be any old defintion, while mine would be "the average mass of an atom of an element in relation to that of an atom of carbon-12 which is exactly 12g.

To calculate the RAM, you know that RAM = (m/z x abundance)/100.
So (95.12 x 14) + (4.88 x 15)/100 = 14.0488 = 14.05(figs)
Reply 249
Original post by Jack_Smith
Help! I alwas get these questions wrong and its only 1 mark.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
qs 5e help pls=D

It's the 2nd group, it's because the jump between ionisation energies occurs between the 2nd and 3rd required ionisation energy. If the jump was to occur between the 3rd and the 4th we'd know that that element belongs to the 3rd group. (by jump I mean you're talking about a massive difference between ionisation energies relative to previous or next ionisation energies in the table)
Reply 250
Not sure what to study or how to prepare at the moment. Have written all the papers from 2009-2012 and got marks ranging from 68-70/70 on all of them.

Maybe I should just take a break or something.. advice?
Reply 251
Original post by Voglie
Not sure what to study or how to prepare at the moment. Have written all the papers from 2009-2012 and got marks ranging from 68-70/70 on all of them.

Maybe I should just take a break or something.. advice?

Go on freeexampastpapers.com
Do all the unit 1 papers from 2001-2009. They might contain some unit 2 stuff but whoo cares.
Original post by TaraBelle
It's so annoying isn't it?! Also one in jan 2012, where there's two lone pairs and 3 bonding pairs, and the shape is trigonal planar not trigonal bypyramidal :frown:

I knoow!!! like I was just going over it and thinking like seriously, where on earth did it say in the revision guides about T shapes!! :mad: I just hope they dont throw in suprises in this exam
Reply 253
can someone tell me the electron configuration of indium. group 3

please
Reply 254
Original post by SHAH :)

please

no point, u only need to know the configurations up to 37 electrons which is rubidium precisely.
Reply 255
Just reached a stage of revision meltdown... I am on page 115 in the book, so close but so far from finishing key notes. :sleep:
Reply 256
Original post by Folks
Just reached a stage of revision meltdown... I am on page 115 in the book, so close but so far from finishing key notes. :sleep:

The nelson thornes book?

please

1s2.2s2.sp6.3s2.3p6.4s2.3d10.4p6.5s2.4d10.5p1
Reply 258

please

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 5s2 5p1 :smile:
They asked for indium on jan 2011 paper

Quick Reply