The Student Room Group

What's the realistic date to apply for a uni/accomodation by?

So, what is the most realistic date to apply for a uni, get accepted and get accommodation sorted out etc?

I realise it may be pretty late but who knows.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UnbelieveableJeff
So, what is the most realistic date to apply for a uni, get accepted and get accommodation sorted out etc?

I realise it may be pretty late but who knows.

To start in 2012?

You need to apply by midnight if you want to apply to specific universities.

You need to apply by September 20th if you want to use Clearing, although I'd recommend as soon as possible and at least before A-level results day (16th August).

Accommodation at this stage in the year will be variable between universities. Some may still be guaranteeing it, some will have closed for applications. It can be a bit hit and miss, you'd need to look at each university's policy.
Original post by TheSownRose
To start in 2012?

You need to apply by midnight if you want to apply to specific universities.

You need to apply by September 20th if you want to use Clearing, although I'd recommend as soon as possible and at least before A-level results day (16th August).

Accommodation at this stage in the year will be variable between universities. Some may still be guaranteeing it, some will have closed for applications. It can be a bit hit and miss, you'd need to look at each university's policy.

Ah I see, thanks. So if a University had a first come, first serve basis it's unlikely there will be a lot of accommodation left or at least the better ones available?
Oops I forgot to add, I'm assuming it would be too late to transfer universities now as you'd have to sort out references, multiple uni choices etc. Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Given that the deadline is in 20 minutes (this is the absolute deadline; the deadline for equal consideration passed on January 15th), and that after that point you will only be able to apply to those universities with spaces in clearing (often less good universities and niche courses, but sometimes something fairly decent), you may be better off applying for 2013 entry.

If you apply for 2013 entry (you would need to send in your application between September 1st 2012 and January 15th 2013, but the earlier the better), then it will allow you to apply to any university course in the country, rather than being restricted by where does and doesn't have spaces. You'll also have time to visit the universities so that you're sure they're the right choice for you, and have the time to write a good personal statement, and get references from teachers who are presumably not working at this time of year (or just about to go off on their summer break).

You apply for accommodation after you have all your offers back and have chosen your firm and insurance choice.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Given that the deadline is in 20 minutes (this is the absolute deadline; the deadline for equal consideration passed on January 15th), and that after that point you will only be able to apply to those universities with spaces in clearing (often less good universities and niche courses, but sometimes something fairly decent), you may be better off applying for 2013 entry.

If you apply for 2013 entry (you would need to send in your application between September 1st 2012 and January 15th 2013, but the earlier the better), then it will allow you to apply to any university course in the country, rather than being restricted by where does and doesn't have spaces. You'll also have time to visit the universities so that you're sure they're the right choice for you, and have the time to write a good personal statement, and get references from teachers who are presumably not working at this time of year (or just about to go off on their summer break).

You apply for accommodation after you have all your offers back and have chosen your firm and insurance choice.

That makes much more sense, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
Ah I see, thanks. So if a University had a first come, first serve basis it's unlikely there will be a lot of accommodation left or at least the better ones available?

You need to read their accommodation policies. When I did Clearing, Nottingham uni guaranteed all Clearing applicants accommodation, but only on Raleigh Park which was the least popular bit.

Other unis didn't guarantee accommodation at all, but even that varied - one uni held an event where you could meet new potential housemates and then start looking for a house together but other unis just did nothing.
That makes much more sense, thanks for the reply :smile:

Hi Jeff,

iQ are a Student Accommodation provider located in the town center and we have students from many of the higher education establishments in Nottingham. Take a look at our website for more details. You are able to book with us at anytime up until we are fully booked. There are several other private student accommodation providers in Nottingham aswell so it is worth having a look around if you miss out on University halls.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending