The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

I get "ehhh why?!!" Explaining why is like second nature to me now. I also get "Well I would never of guessed that" or similar
Reply 21
Always the same 'oooooooooo' :colonhash:
Reply 22
'Wow gona be a doctor then'

Followed by awkwardness.
"Can you design me something for free?"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
I do Maths and a typical response would be "Ooh" (as in the painful type) or "Wow".
Reply 25
"So can you build a computer then?"

:facepalm:
"Chemical Engineering"
"Oh right, What's that then?"
"I dunno"
I do Games Concept Design, I either get "Oh like programming computer games?" (nope, but close) or "oh right" (a.k.a "I have no idea what that is"). If they're a guy around my age then the usual response is "Oh cool!" though :tongue:

Negged for that? Wow :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I did English Language... have genuinely had a lot of insults about it - "that's eeeeasy", "good luck finding a job" etc. I don't mind, it's half true anyway.

I'm always the one people turn to when they want to know how to spell something, or whether <insert word here> is a word, or when they want me to proofread something. People also often assume I'm an expert on literature, too.
Reply 29
me-"i study mechanical engineering", response= " ohh do you fix cars ??"
People often say "What are you going to do? Become a maths teacher?" (they are obviously clueless about what you can do with maths :facepalm:)

One of my friends said this to me recently - "You'd have to be pretty damn good at maths to want to go live in the arse-end of Coventry!" :teehee:
I do Physics. People usually say something along the lines of "Wow, you must be really smart!" or "Are you a nerd then?".

One of my housemates in freshers week simply said: "Gutted"
Reply 32
I usually get
"Ooooh, sounds interesting........ What is it?"
"urghh, that degree is so last century"

(I'm doing modern history...)
I want to study Film Production and when I went to visit my secondary school I told my science teacher (I had got 2 A* and A in science GCSE) and there was a very promient, awkward silence.
Some people think it isn't a real degree, more artistic-y type people appreciate it more :smile:
My family keep saying to do another degree like English Lit then just go into Film but I don't really see the point

Edit - I don't really understand why this post is getting so many ratings. I wasn't saying it for your opinion, it is just what happened to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by sir-lewis
"you don't look like a geek"
I study computer science and get this a lot.

I've heard that a few times. In fact you could probably apply it to at least 80% of the people who do the course.

Having to explain Computer Science to someone is always fun. Especially if you have to try and make it sound interesting to someone who really has no interest...

I like handing out an imaginary slap to anyone who thinks it's 'like ICT', though.
Psychology here.

My parents tell me that I should make them a case study for any important projects I have to do.

People my age either say 'Cool!' or they say 'Psychology? Sweet, at Queens?' 'No, Coleraine' 'Oh...'. Damn elitist Queens students (I'm sure you're all lovely really)
I think one of the best things about doing Physics is the reaction people have when I tell them.

The majority will quite impressed and either say something like "Ooh wow!" or "You must be really smart!". I was in McDonalds the other night and there were some guys/girls who had been on a night out and one of them started talking to me, they had almost pushed in but not long after I told him what I do he had said to his friends "Hey guys, don't be pushing in, this guy is a brainiac!", he wasnt even being sarcastic either, was actually being genuine.

...Unfortunately, this leads to much disappointment when people find out I'm not actually very smart.
"What do you study?"
"International Relations"
"Oh, what's that?"
"Just think of it as politics but a bit different"

This is usually followed by either:
"Do you want to be an MP?" or "I bet you've had a fair few international relations"

Yeah...
Reply 39
'Do you not get bored of you know... the past? history's pretty pointless isn't it?'

Quick Reply

Latest