The Student Room Group

LGBT Issues in Nigeria(non-nigerians )

Non-Nigerians are also encouraged to contribute ideas, meaning no broken/pidgin english, please, let us all debate about this without throwing insults at each other and namecalling. Also, I must point out that there's nothing western about homosexuality, because it won't suprise me if someone brings that up, it happen for centuries and in other cultures besides the 'western' ones.

I wanted to start this thread, because I have a feeling that most Nigerians are ignorant about homosexuality or bisexuality, which contributes to the homophobia amongst people from and in the country, socially and legally.

I was once homophobic, until it got to a point when I started questioning my sexuality and when it took me some lessons for my misconceptions about LGBTs to debunked. I, being a Nigerian, find it hard to convince other nigerians face to face, especially members of my family that same sex relationships should be given as much respect as opposite sex relationships without feeling threated. My aim of this thread is for Nigerians to have a more positive attitude towards same sex relationships by them learning why they shouldn't be discouraged, hopefully from other pro gay people like myself.

So I'll start off by saying that I don't see what's wrong with same sex relationships because they just consist of two consenting adults both willingly doing what makes them happy, like any other couples.

Note: I made a mistake in the title of the thread, in the bracket of the title I wanted to type "non nigerians are encouraged to give views as well as Nigerians", or you can just ignore the bracketed words
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think the majority have more pressing issues than gay rights, such as eating.
Original post by kenni12
Non-Nigerians are also encouraged to contribute ideas, meaning no broken/pidgin english, please, let us all debate about this without throwing insults at each other and namecalling. Also, I must point out that there's nothing western about homosexuality, because it won't suprise me if someone brings that up, it happen for centuries and in other cultures besides the 'western' ones.

I wanted to start this thread, because I have a feeling that most Nigerians are ignorant about homosexuality or bisexuality, which contributes to the homophobia amongst people from and in the country, socially and legally.

I was once homophobic, until it got to a point when I started questioning my sexuality and when it took me some lessons for my misconceptions about LGBTs to debunked. I, being a Nigerian, find it hard to convince other nigerians face to face, especially members of my family that same sex relationships should be given as much respect as opposite sex relationships without feeling threated. My aim of this thread is for Nigerians to have a more positive attitude towards same sex relationships by them learning why they shouldn't be discouraged, hopefully from other pro gay people like myself.

So I'll start off by saying that I don't see what's wrong with same sex relationships because they just consist of two consenting adults both willingly doing what makes them happy, like any other couples.

Is that your reason for supporting homosexuality? That is quite unintellectual and simplistic.

So why is incest a crime then if 2 consenting adults decide to take part in it? Why does the West prevent polygamy if all society needs is consenting adults?

I think homosexuality is unnatural and disgusting, hence should be banned based on moral principles. I am very confident there is something wrong when a man behaves like a woman, wants to be treated like a woman and wants to be mated to like a woman but yet is still a man and vice versa. It is purely disgusting.

And by the way, there are no gay animals. So it is unnatural.

I abhor the thought of being "positive" to homosexuality, not homosexuals though.

I am Nigerian by the way.
Reply 3
Original post by Sagamite

So why is incest a crime then if 2 consenting adults decide to take part in it? Why does the West prevent polygamy if all society needs is consenting adults?

Because 2 adults who are in the same family cannot legally consent. Plus the much higher chance of birth defects in babies.

I think homosexuality is unnatural and disgusting, hence should be banned based on moral principles. I am very confident there is something wrong when a man behaves like a woman, wants to be treated like a woman and wants to be mated to like a woman but yet is still a man and vice versa. It is purely disgusting.

I'll get to unnatural in a second. What exactly gives you the right to enforce your moral principles over others? A bearded man in the sky told you so? Homosexuality does not cause harm to others hence you have 0 right to say what two consenting men/women can do behind closed doors.

And by the way, there are no gay animals. So it is unnatural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

There are plenty throughout the animal kingdom. All the parts of that wiki have outside references and sources so don't try a wriggle out by saying that my source isn't legit.

I abhor the thought of being "positive" to homosexuality, not homosexuals though.

Why? Cause you happen to think a man loving another man is icky? Believe it or not bro I can show you videos of straight couples doing much worse things then happen in the average gay sex session.

I am Nigerian by the way

Irrelevant.
Reply 4

Er, just because people are gay doesn't make them effeminate. You're confusing gender with sexuality.

I also don't think somebody whose entire position boils down to "it's ikky" should accuse others of being unintellectual or overly simplistic.
Nigerians are mainly either Christians or Muslims. Christianity (obviously western-style Christianity disagree accepts homosexuality but third-world Christianity doesn't) nor Islam accept homosexuality. Hence, Nigerians are going to be mainly against this. There's no real argument against homosexual relationships being legalized. Those who are against it, are always against it on religious grounds. So, unless you want to get to the root of the problem i.e. religious beliefs and debunk that, there's little point in debating that specific issue.
Reply 6
My friend showed me a video about how people in Africa (don't know where I think it was Nigeria). And a man was protesting against homosexuality saying 'they eat poo poo' (they were his exact words). And the audience believed him and that all gay people did this. Nigeria has so much propaganda I know about 4 people from Nigeria and they have no problem about homosexuality because they have not been exposed to the propaganda.
Original post by Carecup
Because 2 adults who are in the same family cannot legally consent. Plus the much higher chance of birth defects in babies.

Because they can not legally consent? :biggrin:

That is just a silly argument.

So we ban incest between 2 consenting adults because they can not consent because we have banned them. :biggrin:

Then it must be justified to ban homosexual activities in Nigeria because they can not consent because they have been banned? :biggrin:

So what if there is a higher chance of birth defect? Is that a basis for refusing "two consenting adults" from having a relationship? If it is, so maybe we should ban people with hereditary conditions from marrying and reproducing as well them. Since they have a "much higher chance of birth defects in babies".

Extremely weak arguments.

Original post by Carecup

I'll get to unnatural in a second. What exactly gives you the right to enforce your moral principles over others? A bearded man in the sky told you so?

Tell me which society on Earth now or at any time has not used moral principles to make laws.

Tell me why anyone can not take their clothes of and walk from home to Trafalgar square and have a picnic.

Morals are part of the ESSENTIAL tools of making laws. That is my right as a human being.

That was another weak argument.

Original post by Carecup

Homosexuality does not cause harm to others hence you have 0 right to say what two consenting men/women can do behind closed doors.

So how does nudism, necrophilia or polygamy cause any harm? So why are those banned?

Did I hear you mutter "morals" under your breath?

Original post by Carecup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

There are plenty throughout the animal kingdom. All the parts of that wiki have outside references and sources so don't try a wriggle out by saying that my source isn't legit.

Rubbish.

Try and learn the difference between "homosexuality" and "homosexual behaviours".

Original post by Carecup

Why? Cause you happen to think a man loving another man is icky? Believe it or not bro I can show you videos of straight couples doing much worse things then happen in the average gay sex session.

Irrelevant.

Because it is unnatural, pervase and disgusting. Never compare heterosexuality to homosexuality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mmmpie
Er, just because people are gay doesn't make them effeminate. You're confusing gender with sexuality.

I also don't think somebody whose entire position boils down to "it's ikky" should accuse others of being unintellectual or overly simplistic.

Yeah, I know.

I used those types of gays because they are the epitomic examples of something is wrong with the person and we need a cure, not to accept.

Original post by JordanS94
My friend showed me a video about how people in Africa (don't know where I think it was Nigeria). And a man was protesting against homosexuality saying 'they eat poo poo' (they were his exact words). And the audience believed him and that all gay people did this. Nigeria has so much propaganda I know about 4 people from Nigeria and they have no problem about homosexuality because they have not been exposed to the propaganda.

And you think it is in the West that does not have rubbish pro-gay propaganda.

You think homosexuality is a fundamental human right stated in the UNCHR as popularly broadcast on Western media? Go and read the Human Rights Charter and find out.

So much lies have been used in Western media to dragoon and brainwash people to accept homosexuality. So stop pointing fingers.
Reply 9
Yeah, I know.

I used those types of gays because they are the epitomic examples of something is wrong with the person and we need a cure, not to accept.

So you're consciously straw-manning? Right oh, as long as we're all clear on that.

Actually you failed to show that there was anything wrong with effeminate behaviour anyway. All you said is that you think there is something wrong with effeminate people, and therefore by false conflation that there is something wrong with gay people. You failed to show what was wrong, or why, or how it justified any form of restraint.

Incidentally, it has long been established that homosexuality is not a pathology. Doesn't meet the definition. You'll also find that the vast majority of gay people wouldn't want to take a 'cure', even if it were possible.

I'm quite happy to let people behave, and identify, however the please with the sole proviso that nobody has the right to harm others. I don't see why some people find that so difficult to grasp.
Sagamite is right, we should legalize incest (remember there's something called homosexuality? And there's also something called infertility? And there's plenty of people with diseases that are able to reproduce. There's nothing wrong with a disabled child), nudism, necrophilia (where the person consents pre-death) and polygamy. Although, I find most of them disgusting, if we're going to be non-judgmental we have to be objective and apply it to those social taboos as well as not just things that society accepts.

As I said, it's pointless debating this subject because as Sagamite admitted his basis is his Christan beliefs hence unless you're going to engage in a theological argument there's little point.
Original post by mmmpie
So you're consciously straw-manning? Right oh, as long as we're all clear on that.

Actually you failed to show that there was anything wrong with effeminate behaviour anyway. All you said is that you think there is something wrong with effeminate people, and therefore by false conflation that there is something wrong with gay people. You failed to show what was wrong, or why, or how it justified any form of restraint.

Incidentally, it has long been established that homosexuality is not a pathology. Doesn't meet the definition. You'll also find that the vast majority of gay people wouldn't want to take a 'cure', even if it were possible.

I'm quite happy to let people behave, and identify, however the please with the sole proviso that nobody has the right to harm others. I don't see why some people find that so difficult to grasp.

I don't need to show nothing. All I need to let you know is that it is unnatural and pervase. If it was natural and normal, there would be gay animals in similar form to gay humans.

You are the one that needs to show me it is natural and normal. Where was it established that homosexualtiy is not a pathology?

How come the West believes they can cure peadophilic desires but homosexual ones cannot be cured?

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Sagamite is right, we should legalize incest (remember there's something called homosexuality? And there's also something called infertility? And there's plenty of people with diseases that are able to reproduce. There's nothing wrong with a disabled child), nudism, necrophilia (where the person consents pre-death) and polygamy. Although, I find most of them disgusting, if we're going to be non-judgmental we have to be objective and apply it to those social taboos as well as not just things that society accepts.

As I said, it's pointless debating this subject because as Sagamite admitted his basis is his Christan beliefs hence unless you're going to engage in a theological argument there's little point.

Where did you see me state my beliefs are based on Christianity?
Nigerians are mainly either Christians or Muslims. Christianity (obviously western-style Christianity disagree accepts homosexuality but third-world Christianity doesn't) nor Islam accept homosexuality. Hence, Nigerians are going to be mainly against this. There's no real argument against homosexual relationships being legalized. Those who are against it, are always against it on religious grounds. So, unless you want to get to the root of the problem i.e. religious beliefs and debunk that, there's little point in debating that specific issue.

This, pretty much. I think Nigeria is more strongly religious as a country than the UK, even a lot of the Nigerians immigrants here are strong in their traditional beliefs.

I'm a child of Nigerian parents, but I've never really been truly homophobic. Yeah, I've always found it a bit strange and funny I must admit, especially as a kid, but I don't reckon being homosexual by itself warrants all the discrimination they have targeted at them. Plus, I'm sure if God is loving, he must love everyone, right?

Original post by JordanS94

:lol: I know exactly what video you mean. But that video had Ugandan people in it, not Nigerians, but yeah it's pretty much the same sort of argument I guess.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

:lol: I know exactly what video you mean. But that video had Ugandan people in it, not Nigerians, but yeah it's pretty much the same sort of argument I guess.

it made me laugh at how pathetic the man was and how much emphasis he put on 'poo poo'
Where did you see me state my beliefs are based on Christianity?

Doesn't matter which, Christianity/Islam/X religion same **** different name.
Reply 15
I don't need to show nothing. All I need to let you know is that it is unnatural and pervase. If it was natural and normal, there would be gay animals in similar form to gay humans.

You are the one that needs to show me it is natural and normal. Where was it established that homosexualtiy is not a pathology?

How come the West believes they can cure peadophilic desires but homosexual ones cannot be cured?

:rolleyes: Any claim made without justification may be dismissed without justification. I'm going to go one better and dismiss your unjustified claims with considerable justification.

Homosexuality has been observed in all mammal species where we've bothered to look for it, and many others besides. Somebody else already give you a link for that.

The opening two paragraphs of the relevant wikipedia article provide a nice summary of this history of homosexuality and it's being viewed as a psychopathology. Or, if you prefer, there is this from the University of California, this from the American Psychological Association, and this from the Royal College of Psychiatry. Failing that, for homosexuality to be a pathology it would by definition have to be damaging to gay people, and it isn't.

I don't think any reasonably sensible person believes they can cure paedophiles of their preferences. What is held is that restraining them from acting on their desires is justified in terms of preventing a substantial and demonstrable harm to others. That argument does not apply to homosexuality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
This, pretty much. I think Nigeria is more strongly religious as a country than the UK, even a lot of the Nigerians immigrants here are strong in their traditional beliefs.

I'm a child of Nigerian parents, but I've never really been truly homophobic. Yeah, I've always found it a bit strange and funny I must admit, especially as a kid, but I don't reckon being homosexual by itself warrants all the discrimination they have targeted at them. Plus, I'm sure if God is loving, he must love everyone, right?

No one said God is not loving.

God might love gays, paedophiles, murderers, adulterers, nudist or whatever, that is not grounds to not have a moral stance.

Using of the "love" angle is such an hackneyed brainwash tool.

That is how we see people and UK government try and force homosexuality on religious institutions because "Jesus preaches love". What rubbish. I am not a Xtian but I know the Bible does not accept homosexuality but yet they want to dragoon churches to accept homosexuality and accept the practice as normal within the institution because of "love".

That is as silly as saying the Church should embrace someone that openly practices Islam and even make him a Bishop.
Doesn't matter which, Christianity/Islam/X religion same **** different name.

And what makes you conclude I have a religion or my argument is based on a religious belief?

Original post by mmmpie
:rolleyes: Any claim made without justification may be dismissed without justification. I'm going to go one better and dismiss your unjustified claims with considerable justification.

Homosexuality has been observed in all mammal species where we've bothered to look for it, and many others besides. Somebody else already give you a link for that.

The opening two paragraphs of the relevant wikipedia article provide a nice summary of this history of homosexuality and it's being viewed as a psychopathology. Or, if you prefer, there is this from the University of California, this from the American Psychological Association, and this from the Royal College of Psychiatry. Failing that, for homosexuality to be a pathology it would by definition have to be damaging to gay people, and it isn't.

I don't think any reasonably sensible person believes they can cure paedophiles of their preferences. What is held is that restraining them from acting on their desires is justified in terms of preventing a substantial and demonstrable harm to others. That argument does not apply to homosexuality.

Rubbish!

Homosexuality is different from homosexual behaviour. I am yet to see ANY report of an homosexual animal.

There are several attempts to use therapy to cure paedophilia in the West by the government. While all attepmts at such for homosexuality is suppressed.
And what makes you conclude I have a religion or my argument is based on a religious belief?

Okay. Lets go through this and I'll establish it. Where do your moral beliefs come from? Show me a secular argument against homosexuality.
No one said God is not loving.

God might love gays, paedophiles, murderers, adulterers, nudist or whatever, that is not grounds to not have a moral stance.

Using of the "love" angle is such an hackneyed brainwash tool.

That is how we see people and UK government try and force homosexuality on religious institutions because "Jesus preaches love". What rubbish. I am not a Xtian but I know the Bible does not accept homosexuality but yet they want to dragoon churches to accept homosexuality and accept the practice as normal within the institution because of "love".

That is as silly as saying the Church should embrace someone that openly practices Islam and even make him a Bishop.

I agree with you that the church shouldn't be forced to marry gay people if it doesn't want to.

But I dunno, I can't see homosexual people as "evil" in the same way that adulterers and murderers more obviously are. OK, so a gay couple can't naturally have a kid together (which is probably a positive for population control), but apart from that, who are they hurting really with their relationship?

Latest

Trending

Trending