The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
Exactly.

Stuff like this is why I identify more with my Nigerian side, I know people don't consider me one of "them". If you look through the thread it's evident.

Sorry about that lovely, but there are some people who don't see everyone who isn't white or speak another language as a scrounger
Reply 41
Their lives, their choices. England isn't my country, just the country I live in, I have no right to tell people how to live their lives here.
Original post by Snagprophet
Isn't it?

Demographics of White British:

England: 82%
Scotland: 98%
Wales: 96%

The issue barely exists outside of England. Not only that, but immigrants actually integrate, whereas England has a community for every country on Earth to ensure no integration.

I was talking in terms of culture, so I guess we are talking about seperate cultures in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? Demographic isn't culture.

I don't really see a difference any major differences in culture between England and Wales if say comparing it to a British culture.

And I think the issue, and racism, very much exists outside England. Plus this isn't an issue just about immigrants.
Desperate Scousewives, TOWIE, Made in Chelsea good examples? Jesus wept.

Try Only Fools and Horses or I'm Alan Partridge, British programming at it's best. I would be utterly ashamed to show Desperate Scousewives or TOWIE to someone from another country and proudly say "this is where I live".

Only Fools and Horses and I'm Alan Partridge are terrible. You clearly have bad taste in television.
Reply 44
Exactly.

Stuff like this is why I identify more with my Nigerian side, I know people don't consider me one of "them". If you look through the thread it's evident.

I know the feeling. I am of Nigerian origin,and I have long accepted I will never be considered as a "true British" even though I was born and raised in England. I know its not all people who hold such views, but in the eyes many, I'm just another immigrant who does not contribut positively to society.
Original post by Addzter
Only Fools and Horses and I'm Alan Partridge are terrible. You clearly have bad taste in television.

You what? I guess we should all bow down to the wonders of American comedy like er. Erm. What's that muppet with the big ears called? You know, he's in the show that was originally made by Gervais. He has adverts on Sky but it's always the same joke in a different scenario. Steve something- that's the one.

Bore off.

To go back on topic:

You should be forced to do an English test before being permitted citizenship in this country. I think it is only right because how else are you expected to integrate/work when you can't even speak the native tongue? :s-smilie:
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
You what? I guess we should all bow down to the wonders of American comedy like er. Erm. What's that muppet with the big ears called? You know, he's in the show that was originally made by Gervais. He has adverts on Sky but it's always the same joke in a different scenario. Steve something- that's the one.

Steven Merchant? Hilar.
Original post by Addzter
Steven Merchant? Hilar.

Pretty witty. Fair game. :colondollar:

But let it be known that British comedy > American comedy.
Original post by Addzter

TOWIE better than Alan Partridge? TOWIE? Can't be serious.

Addzter, meet my ignore list.
TOWIE better than Alan Partridge? TOWIE? Can't be serious.

Addzter, meet my ignore list.

Tommyjw and yawn need some company anyway.
You don't like Asian people speaking to other people on their phones in their own language? It's none of your business, if they were speaking to you in their native language maybe you'd have a point, but they're not speaking to you so why are you so bothered?

As for your girlfriend, her family probably want to help you understand their culture. They're not expecting you to stop speaking English, they'll just want you to understand stuff they're saying so you don't feel like an outsider.

Just because somebody moves to Britain, does not mean they suddenly have to lose their mother tongue and start eating fish and chips all day :|
آرائي امتصاص الكرات
Original post by SpringNicht
You don't like Asian people speaking to other people on their phones in their own language? It's none of your business, if they were speaking to you in their native language maybe you'd have a point, but they're not speaking to you so why are you so bothered?

As for your girlfriend, her family probably want to help you understand their culture. They're not expecting you to stop speaking English, they'll just want you to understand stuff they're saying so you don't feel like an outsider.

Just because somebody moves to Britain, does not mean they suddenly have to lose their mother tongue and start eating fish and chips all day :|

Because he's xenophobic and possibly racist.
Original post by brownchocolateice
Wow so you posted as anonymous on relationships to post on what is really a non-relationship topic i.e. your intolerance to non-English speaking cultures. If you are against people who are bilingual, or those who prefer to speak their natural tongue a language they are comfortable with, then why don't you date a white English girl? You'll have no English problems then. If you choose to date someone from a diverse background then you should try to accept their language as well. Why should your gf know English and you not know her language?

You should read the whole thread before commenting, and no one has a problem knowing multiple languages but only talking in a foreign language is plain rude and there is a massive problem of people who speak NO english here - all of which you gloss over.

There are English people living in countries such as India, Ghana etc for many decades and they don't learn the local tongue. I don't hear of mass debate against them. What about the English who lived in Pakistan and India for 200 years. They did not integrate, accept local customs, speak the local language. Asians have been here 50 years and yet you can't cope with them wanting to retain their identity. Have you ever thought about how your ancestors imposed their foreign traditions and will on them and how many cultures you displaced? How treasures and valuables like Kohinoor were stolen from those lands?

Really? This might as well be along the lines as godwins law, an absolutely pathetic argument with no intellectual value in the slightest and rather repulsive if you actually think it should be taken into account.

btw i live in Aus so you can't say you're going to deport me cos im not being English enough. What about food? If you only want English everything then you should not eat asian foods like vindaloo or chicken tikka etc. They are not English foods. Doesn't that mean you should only stick to SHepherd's pie or bread and butter or people in asian countries should not like to eat pastries etc.

Curries were invented in Britain by someone whos family came from India but considered himself completely British and invented a new food to display this. At least do some research before ranting inanely.

If your gf doesn't push your culture at you then don't worry. Just run away and have your relationship with her. Tell her to cut relationship with her parents if she doesn't want to deal with their imposing ways or even compromise. She should also not accept excess help or monetary support from her parents if she wants to reject everything about them.

Amazing parenting, thats exactly how it should work :rolleyes:

I actually believe the vocal anti-immigrant lot on tsr is a minority. My friend who is indian is dating a white girl. Both families like each other and both make attempts to learn each other's culture. My friend's gf wants to learn his language and get more involved. Even attempting to do that is praiseworthy.
If you don't want to attempt to learn a new culture then shouldn't you date within a culturally homogenous group such as yourself. I have Chinese friends who speak Mandarin on the phone. I don't understand but i don't resent it.

No one would resent occasionally talking in person or on the phone in any language, especially if the person on the other end of the phone was in another country. But the fact you think this is an equivalent to the problems we are actually facing at the moment is laughable.

Your contribution is about as helpful as a ranting BNP racist, the ranting BNP racist would at least probably believe they were doing the right thing rather than this blatantly petty and unhelpful attack.
Reply 54
The UK has a massive problem with alcohol, if you cannot see this there is no more to discuss.

Oh really? And why do we have a massive problem with alcohol over and above other countries?

For what its worth, roughly 100,000 people die every year from smoking related problems, and yet only 20,000 people die from drinking related problems, of which only a small proportion (8,000) are due to long term liver disease. So if you want to get excited about something then get excited about smoking - it kills far more people than drinking does. Overeating and excess weight is another problem which kills more than drinking does due to heart failure and bad diet.

I think you'll also see that diseases from drinking in other western cultures is roughly the same as ours. Eastern Europeans for example, have a much higher rate of alcohol related deaths, Australia and NZ have more alcohol related deaths per unit of population and America has more deaths per unit of population. Personally I dont see there is a problem - people are entitled to enjoy themselves.
I do agree on the whole learning the language thing. It's unacceptable to live in any country and not know the lingo.

I lived in Spain for 4 years and learnt the language from scratch. Many other British people living there didn't bother, and I don't know how they survived.

If people are going to move to the UK, they damn well learn English. The same as British "ex-pats" who move to France. LEARN SOME FRENCH.
OP needs to man up and deal with the problems of life
Original post by cl_steele
i have noticed this, going around london i hear more foreign tongues than english ... makes it very hard to eves drop on the tube when i have nothing better to do :rolleyes:

Was going to post this myself! The amount of non-English speaking people in England has definitely gone through the roof. I can no longer eavesdrop on the tube, and I can no longer successfully order food in McDonalds because they don't understand me and get it wrong. :frown:

Obviously this isn't all immigrants to the UK, I'm sure some do try very hard to fit in and embrace our culture...but there are some very arrogant immigrants who seem to think that because they now live here, everything should change. :rolleyes:
Original post by Riderz
Oh really? And why do we have a massive problem with alcohol over and above other countries?

For what its worth, roughly 100,000 people die every year from smoking related problems, and yet only 20,000 people die from drinking related problems, of which only a small proportion (8,000) are due to long term liver disease. So if you want to get excited about something then get excited about smoking - it kills far more people than drinking does. Overeating and excess weight is another problem which kills more than drinking does due to heart failure and bad diet.

I think you'll also see that diseases from drinking in other western cultures is roughly the same as ours. Eastern Europeans for example, have a much higher rate of alcohol related deaths, Australia and NZ have more alcohol related deaths per unit of population and America has more deaths per unit of population. Personally I dont see there is a problem - people are entitled to enjoy themselves.

That's a flawed statistic and a one-dimensional way of looking at it.

Are unplanned pregnancies, cheating on one's partner, family breakdowns, physical accidents and injuries, street fights, verbal abuse, STD proliferation, depression, humiliation of one's behaviour, weight gain and being bed-ridden not problems then? Because alcohol causes all of them. And this is without even going in to how much it costs the economy because of the damage.

I have seen with my own eyes enough times to know, that British people cannot, for the most part, handle their drink. Europeans are generally better with it, as are Americans. You often hear people remark on our drinking habits when they visit.
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

I pretty much agree with you, it's not nice feeling like a tourist in your own country... but then again I disagree with people leaving their original identity to just fit in with society.
I'm a British and American citizen, but when people ask me where you from? I say Syria... because by blood I'm syrian. I need no passport to prove my identity.

I want to go back to my country, I don't want to stay here, although I've lived here ever since I was born...
If only Britain and America didn't mess up the middle east so much, and would stop interfering with our issues maybe we would be able to free ourselves one day, with out the west. We simply didn't ask for your say in our lives... you brought us to this, you made us refugees in your countries and you yet have the courage to turn around and say we want a British Britain.

You will get that, when you get your troops out of our countries, and when your presidents stop supporting Israel so much, with the bloodshed that's happening now in Syria, all I'm gonna tell you is that more and more people are becoming refugees and more and more will come here to britian. As yesterday was our one year anniversary for the revolution. We would've been freed time ago if America and Britiain would keep quiet and allow us to get on with our fight for freedom. and none of this would've happened if the west didn't bring the Assad family into power back in the 1960s. Thanks to the French and British.

sorry if I said too much, but it hurts me too. I want to see a British Britain, and an Arab Middleeast.

Latest