The Student Room Group

Are These Highers (S5) Beneficial Towards Studying Law?

I'm in S4 right now but I've picked ..

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher French
Higher Human Biology
Higher Religious Moral & Philosopical Studies

Also, if I changed my mind (I'm hesitant between law & architecture) would these be suitable for architecture? I am predicted a 1 in standard grade art, but I could take it in sixth year?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that's a good selection.
Reply 2
Good selection, but the biology probably isn't relevant.

For architecture I would imagine you would need something like Art or Graphic Comm. Look at university websites to see what subjects they require for law and architecture. :smile:
Reply 3
Pretty sure Physics and Art is needed for architecture.
Original post by itsc0ntagious

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher French
Higher Human Biology

Also, if I changed my mind (I'm hesitant between law & architecture) would these be suitable for architecture? I am predicted a 1 in standard grade art, but I could take it in sixth year?

I'd replace Biology with History or another essay based subject. Other than that, the subject choices are fine!
Reply 5
Original post by scotland369
I'd replace Biology with History or another essay based subject. Other than that, the subject choices are fine!

Sadly the only things in my last column which I'd be allowed to take are: human bio, business management, art and Spanish. If i take Art it will be in 6th year because standard grade art was a huge workload so I can't imagine higher, I don't know any Spanish and Business Man will have no interest to me :-( Also in sixth year is it recommended to take 3 advanced highers and a higher or 3 advanced highers? Thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 6
If you're doing 3 advanced highers I really wouldn't recommend adding anything else to your workload!
Reply 7
I would swap Biology for History/Modern Studies/Psychology

The Higher Art workload is HUGE. Takes up so much time.
Reply 8
History is quite important for law, but you could pick that up in 6th too. If you're going to a Scottish uni you don't NEED any adv highers.
Original post by ..lauren
History is quite important for law, but you could pick that up in 6th too. If you're going to a Scottish uni you don't NEED any adv highers.

Not true really, as long as you have English plus preferably another essay subject. History is good but I personally think modern studies is more relevant.
Higher Maths, English, RMPS, Modern (as advanced focuses on law), History would be better( you don't need a qualification to learn a language remember)
Reply 11
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Not true really, as long as you have English plus preferably another essay subject. History is good but I personally think modern studies is more relevant.

Hmm should I have taken modern studies instead of biology? I wanted to do a science so I took history as my other essay subject... :s-smilie:
Original post by mrsnicket
Hmm should I have taken modern studies instead of biology? I wanted to do a science so I took history as my other essay subject... :s-smilie:

If you have history and English then not having MS is satisfactory.

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher French
Higher Human Biology

Definitely take Higher English. Higher Maths and French are good options too. If you were to do architecture I think some courses/places require higher physics. It's not required but most people I know that are off to do law at uni have taken higher history too.

Higher Human Biology and RMPS are good subjects too but probably less relevant to either course (although I guess RMPS could be pretty useful for law?).

Oh and I agree with the others above, Mods would also be a good choice for Law.
(edited 11 years ago)
RMPS is good for Law and if I were you I would just stick with what you are doing.
(The columns they do at my school are annoying aswell!)
Although if you could swap Modies with RMPS then do that but you might not be able to if you didnt do SG maybe?
What you have is fine though!
Reply 15

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher French
Higher Human Biology

I think you've chosen well with regard to law. I don't actually think Modern Studies is all that vital (or indeed helpful)
Reply 16
I'm also planning on studying Law at university and I'm currently in S4.
Next year I'm hoping to take:
Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher Art
Higher History
Higher Information Systems :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by hannahmm
I'm also planning on studying Law at university and I'm currently in S4.
Next year I'm hoping to take:
Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher Art
Higher History
Higher Information Systems :smile:

One thing I would say to you and the OP is that if you're not good at maths for god's sake don't take it. For all I know you're great at maths and it's your favourite thing ever, but if you've not coped with int 2 or standard grade with dismissive ease then maybe reconsider higher maths. It's not in the least useful for law.
Reply 18
Original post by Norton1
One thing I would say to you and the OP is that if you're not good at maths for god's sake don't take it. For all I know you're great at maths and it's your favourite thing ever, but if you've not coped with int 2 or standard grade with dismissive ease then maybe reconsider higher maths. It's not in the least useful for law.

Yeah I agree it's not particularly useful for law and I've heard that maths is one of the hardest highers. However I do quite enjoy it and I've found it to be one of the easiest Standard Grades I've taken, so hopefully I'll be able to cope with higher next year.
Reply 19
thats similar to what i did last year, except with normal biology instead of human and mods instead of rmps but i got into law so yeah sounds fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest