The Student Room Group

do all medical students pass uni and graduate as a doctor?

i always hear how solid it is etc.... just wondered, does anyone actually fail and get forced to leave any stage? if so, how often does this happen?

i suppose iv just got to that stage where im on my gap year, firmed an offer, waiting to go to uni in sept.. and BOOM, suddenly totally doubting my ability!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course people fail and drop out, it's the same with all degrees. That said if you have the grades to get in then you have the ability to get through.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's got like the highest drop out rate. I know a few people who failed/dropped out.
Reply 3
I have a friend that insists that a few years ago at BSMS loads of people in one year had to leave because they failed or something, but I don't know it there's any truth in it at all...
Reply 4
Original post by InkyOne
I have a friend that insists that a few years ago at BSMS loads of people in one year had to leave because they failed or something, but I don't know it there's any truth in it at all...

Is your friend at BSMS?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by .eXe
Is your friend at BSMS?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No, she just spouts this stuff when anyone mentions them, stupidly did put me off applying there, as she seemed pretty convinced, but I have seen no evidence either way other than what she says
Reply 6
Yes, lol obviously.

Some possible cases:

1) Repeated failing exams. Different med schools have different policies as to how many times you can resit or repeat years. At some point, you could be kicked out if you don't pass the exams within the time required/within the rules.

2) Fitness to practice issue. Your conduct and behaviour as a med student is taken very seriously, you are expected to behave as a doctor and if you did something really bad, that was incompatible with practicing medicine, you could be kicked out. GMC regulations etc. I guess you'd have to do something pretty bad.

3) Personal reasons. Some people find the course isn't for them, or something happens in their life which makes them decide to leave e.g. they are a musician and get a record deal (yes, it happens!). Or someone might decide to leave medicine after completing their intercalated degree.

4) Health. If someone has/develops a health condition that makes them unable to attend enough classes, study properly (pass exams) and/OR will significantly affect their fitness to practice safely as a doctor (even if they pass the exams), they could be asked to leave (I have heard of cases where final year students with severe anorexia were not allowed to practice/graduate because they were not safe to work as doctors - obviously this doesn't apply to everyone with an eating disorder/mental health condition). This would be assessed by an occupational health physician.

Some of these overlap as certain problems are somewhat related e.g. poor health could cause repeated exam failing or low motivation to continue studies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by No Future
Yes, lol obviously.

Some possible cases:

1) Repeated failing exams. Different med schools have different policies as to how many times you can resit or repeat years. At some point, you could be kicked out if you don't pass the exams within the time required/within the rules.

2) Fitness to practice issue. Your conduct and behaviour as a med student is taken very seriously, you are expected to behave as a doctor and if you did something really bad, that was incompatible with practicing medicine, you could be kicked out. GMC regulations etc. I guess you'd have to do something pretty bad.

3) Personal reasons. Some people find the course isn't for them, or something happens in their life which makes them decide to leave e.g. they are a musician and get a record deal (yes, it happens!). Or someone might decide to leave medicine after completing their intercalated degree.

Jay Sean? :mmm:
Reply 8
Original post by Le Masquerador.

Lol yes. There's also a girl who was at Glasgow med school and got a record deal, but I think her mum wanted her to finish the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol yes. There's also a girl who was at Glasgow med school and got a record deal, but I think her mum made her finish the course.

Are you talking about Emili Sandé? I remember seeing her on and interview with Sir David Frost and I don't think she went back. Her musics actually quite decent!
Original post by tpxvs
i always hear how solid it is etc.... just wondered, does anyone actually fail and get forced to leave any stage? if so, how often does this happen?

i suppose iv just got to that stage where im on my gap year, firmed an offer, waiting to go to uni in sept.. and BOOM, suddenly totally doubting my ability!!

I'm in med skool and I can you tell you everyone at some point gets doubts about their ability/if medicine is for them etc. You just have to put these thoughts aside (unless you feel very strongly...) and trod on!
Reply 11
So just to ask what are the exams like for people who are in medical school? For example in anatomy do you have to write down each functioning muscle and what did does and things like that?

Would love to know :smile:

EDIT: Jeez why the neg!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Le Masquerador.

Dr dre? :tongue:
Reply 13
The singer from Dry The River dropped out of Medicine because he got a record deal
Reply 14
Original post by Booyah
So just to ask what are the exams like for people who are in medical school? For example in anatomy do you have to write down each functioning muscle and what did does and things like that?

It's multiple choice lolz.
Reply 15
Original post by GdotL
It's multiple choice lolz.

Do you not get "Modified Essay Questions" or OSCEs at Kings? o.o

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Original post by Booyah

Depends what your course is like. For example in first year anatomy at UEA the exams are testing your knowledge in a more functional way. "An elderly woman falls on an outstretched arm and fractures her distal radius. Name two complictions that may occur". You would then be expected to talk about what nerves are near the fracture site, and by knowing where they are and what muscles they supply power to, you could work out what problems the patient would have with her hand.
Another question could be "describe the path of the external iliac artery to the toes". You would then have to talk about what structures it is related to, which muscles it passes under and through, where it branches or changes name .etc.

The emphasis on our course is knowing useful anatomy that affects patients, rather than learning anatomy for the sake of being able to name lots of muscles.
Reply 17
Original post by Vulpes
Do you not get "Modified Essay Questions" or OSCEs at Kings? o.o

Nah, no essays - obviously you get OSCEs later on in the course.
Original post by Norton1
Of course people fail and drop out, it's the same with all degrees. That said if you have the grades to get in then you have the ability to get through.

Probably true, depends how people apply themselves tbh.

Original post by InkyOne

If you fail an exam at Bristol (and the resit) you will be asked to leave (unless there are accepted extenuating circumstances

Lol yes. There's also a girl who was at Glasgow med school and got a record deal, but I think her mum made her finish the course.

Emeli Sande didn't finish.
Original post by stroppyninja
Depends what your course is like. For example in first year anatomy at UEA the exams are testing your knowledge in a more functional way. "An elderly woman falls on an outstretched arm and fractures her distal radius. Name two complictions that may occur". You would then be expected to talk about what nerves are near the fracture site, and by knowing where they are and what muscles they supply power to, you could work out what problems the patient would have with her hand.
Another question could be "describe the path of the external iliac artery to the toes". You would then have to talk about what structures it is related to, which muscles it passes under and through, where it branches or changes name .etc.

The emphasis on our course is knowing useful anatomy that affects patients, rather than learning anatomy for the sake of being able to name lots of muscles.

Original post by Booyah

At Bristol, for anatomy in first year its multiple choice with cadaveric tissue with pin's in or x-rays/bones with sticky dots on and questions such as 'what is this' 'What's the innervation' 'What movement does this muscle cause' Really easy basically. sometimes there'd be some epidemiological bits and histology too. Then we had MCQ's, EMQ's and Essay questions and coursework for the rest.

Second year it's the same style, but bye bye multiple choice and a more clinical slant to questions. Really hard. (Neuroanatomy, YUCK) MCQ's and EMQ's for everything else.

Third Year, Essay's, MCQ's DOSCE's, OSCE's, EMQ's. (and things like presentations and stuff and more iSSC's)

Fourth Year - I believe is much of the same

Fifth - Finals..?

Quick Reply

Latest