The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pol pot noodles
It's not our fault Scotland has been brainwashed and bribed by decades of the Labour gravy train. Enjoy your crumbling infrastructure and, free or not, your universities suck.

Again, the lovely English condescension and bigotry that just makes me so much more inclined to be respectful towards pricks like you. I'll take crumbling infrastructure any day if it comes with excellent NHS service and free universities, which, unfortunately for your ego, are far from sucking. Even your royal Hanoverian ninnies think it's good enough for them. As for labour brainwashing, it can be frustrating at times when the SNP is a much better option, but I think people are starting to realise that.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Again, the lovely English condescension and bigotry that just makes me so much more inclined to be respectful towards pricks like you. I'll take crumbling infrastructure any day if it comes with excellent NHS service and free universities, which, unfortunately for your ego, are far from sucking. Even your royal Hanoverian ninnies think it's good enough for them. As for labour brainwashing, it can be frustrating at times when the SNP is a much better option, but I think people are starting to realise that.

You were the one that insulted all of England for daring to have a different opinion from you, and yet I'm the bigoted prick! Don't engage in banter if you can't handle it when it's done to you.
You were the one that insulted all of England for daring to have a different opinion from you, and yet I'm the bigoted prick! Don't engage in banter if you can't handle it when it's done to you.

Criticizing people for voting for Conservatism is hardly an insult. Apart from the fact that Conservatism never really works.

EDIT: I mean it's an objective fact, not really a matter of opinion.
Criticizing people for voting for Conservatism is hardly an insult. Apart from the fact that Conservatism never really works.

Calling everyone in England stupid for their beliefs is definately an insult.

EDIT: I mean it's an objective fact, not really a matter of opinion.

I smell a troll.
Original post by WelshBluebird
I'd say it is.
I don't see why it is any different to making comments about people because of their skin colour, or religion, or sexuality, or gender etc etc.
We don't find people taking the piss out of someone because they are black acceptable (even if it is meant as a joke), so I don't see why we find it acceptable when its nationality (or where you come from) instead of race.

Discriminating against someone due to their nationality or origin is still regarded as racism and should be frowned upon just as much in modern society as discrimination of any other form.

I for one have no grudges against England or any other country for that matter as someone born in Wales. I was given birth to in Wales, someone else was given birth to in England, its no big deal in all honesty, no one choose where they're born. I understand that's what you're saying. I was just backing up your point.
Calling everyone in England stupid for their beliefs is definately an insult.

I smell a troll.

Everyone who voted for the Tories made a stupid choice. I would not extend the same criticism to Lib Dems and Labour.

No troll, I just really hate Conservatism.
Everyone who voted for the Tories made a stupid choice. I would not extend the same criticism to Lib Dems and Labour.

Your feeling towards Conservatism is irrelevant. Making a highly provacative statement that contributes absolutely nothing towards the discussion for the sole purpose of invoking an emotional response is trolling.
'The largest ever UK peace time deficit was incurred under the reign of Labour.' That is a fact.
'The largest ever post war economic boom occured under the reign of the Conservatives.' That is also a fact.
'27 of the top 30 UK universities are in England.' That is another fact.
'Conservatism never really works' is definately not a fact. Neither is 'Everyone who voted for the Tories made a stupid choice.'
I see no reason as to why you would make such a series of provactive statements other than you were engaging in banter or you were trolling. If it was banter then don't whine like a little bitch when I respond in kind. Otherwise you are simply trolling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Psyk
Out of interest, what do you think would happen to Northern Ireland if Scotland left the UK? Aren't a lot of people in Northern Ireland descended from Scots? I would have thought support for NI remaining in the UK would drop massively if such a huge chunk of the UK left, it would challenge the whole concept of Britishness.

Unionists would still push for the union as they have a diluded sense of national identity and a loose sense of loyalty and "britishness", and generally are well behind the times of the mainland. a trip to Brandford will surely scare the **** out of the most ardent irish unionist. "who are these dark people?"

And with that a nationalist thinking wave of thinking would overcome unionist confusion in any referendum.
Reply 128
So you say. Frankly it wouldn't matter if you had a Phd in UK Politics from Cambridge, if you were the leader of all political parties in all four home countries, and were the leader of all community organisations in the UK, you're still talking out of your ass. Your supposed credentials mean **** all here, what matters is the substance of your argument, and that is currently nil.

No, the 2008 estimate was 51.4 million. And no, you do not 'automatically win'. You lose, on the basis of the fact that England has a population no where near 60 million. I don't know how they did things on your imaginary university course, but you can't just make up figures to support a bull**** argument.

For someone who branded me 'illiterate' you seem to have trouble reading yourself. I have already said that England is the bedrock of the Union, I am not disputing that, no one is disputing that. Stop with the pathetic red herrings.

No, you are simply wrong. A constitution is a set of laws by which an entity is governed. Some entities decide to write them down in a single document, the UK hasn't. One more time: The UK constitution is the sum of all laws that has been passed by parliament. So one more time, which law gives England any legal or constitutional power over the other home nations? The answer is of course none, and that you are simply talking out of your arse.

Yes, last time I checked, London is the capital and administrative centre of the UNITED KINGDOM. The UNITED KINGDOM had direct rule over Northern Ireland, not England. Before devolution, it was the UNITED KINGDOM that ruled, not England. Why are you incapable of getting that into your thick skull?

Right, because only an Irishmen would understand the IRA right? Obviously everyone else in the world must be ignorant? There is no such thing as a library, or the internet, or television, from which one could learn about things? No, that would just be silly. :rolleyes:
By your own logic, you have no right to be talking about England. So **** off, you silly troll.

Excessively grand. You think your supposed credentials makes you infallible? No, the man doesn't make the argument, the argument makes the man. And right now your argument is broken.
lol **** off you insufferably ****. It does matter, I know more than you about the subject and thats that.

Jesus you're more pedantic than I thought, 52m, 51, 60m, 57m, the point still stands, england has by far the biggest population by a long shot.. are you that dull and unoriginal?

I've no bother "reading myself", I've trouble reading your arguments, they're ****e. England is more than the bedrock of the union, it is the union, even someone as daft and unionist as you should notice that.

I'm not even honestly going to into what a consitution is with you, you barely know the meaning of it apart from what you've read on wikipedia. constitutions are not part of uk political culture, it is not a republic, who traditionally use them, fact.

what "nation" is London the capital of?

Well, essentially, yes, I would hope an Irishman would understand the Irish Republican Army more than an Englishman or an American, a Canadian or a Japanese for all that matter, clues in the name wee son, you didnt grow up during a conflict.

My credentials are more than you certainly have :smile: The argument makes the man, arguing with a troll doesnt, apparently. See when you have some experience in politics and conflict resolution, come back to me, until then you're a daft insufferbale scrote who reads too much wikipedia
Original post by Jim-ie
lol **** off you insufferably ****. It does matter, I know more than you about the subject and thats that.

No, you evidently don't. Your supposed credentials mean **** all. You could have a PhD in Maths from Cambridge, but if you tried to argue that one plus one equaled three, you'd still be wrong. No matter what you say or do, where you studied, what fake degree you have, England still wont have any legal or constitutional powers over the other home nations.

Original post by Jim-ie

Jesus you're more pedantic than I thought, 52m, 51, 60m, 57m, the point still stands, england has by far the biggest population by a long shot.. are you that dull and unoriginal?

You made a point that was wrong, I corrected you. Don't blow a casket at me because you were talking out of your arse.

Original post by Jim-ie

I've no bother "reading myself", I've trouble reading your arguments, they're ****e. England is more than the bedrock of the union, it is the union, even someone as daft and unionist as you should notice that.

And even someone as daft and nationalist as yourself should realise that you're opinion is irrelevant. I'm not going to sit here going round and round in circles arguing opinions, which I why I stuck to the facts: England has no legal or consitutional powers over the other home nations. That was in fact what I posted when you entered this arguement ranting like a little bitch, and yet for all your insults and whining, you still have not answered that point.

Original post by Jim-ie

I'm not even honestly going to into what a consitution is with you, you barely know the meaning of it apart from what you've read on wikipedia. constitutions are not part of uk political culture, it is not a republic, who traditionally use them, fact.

What is the meaning of constitution then?
That's what I thought, **** off you troll. A constitution is as I said it is, go ask your imaginary professor on your imaginary university course.

Here is the Oxford English dictionary definition
a body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

Face it, I've shown you up for the idiotic troll that you are. Whether you want to call it a constitution or simply a load of laws (Which is what a constitution is), my point still stands. England has absolutely NO legal powers over the other home nation. Your fixation on petty semantics does not change that.

Original post by Jim-ie

what "nation" is London the capital of?

The United Kingdom. It was the Government of the United Kingdom that controlled Northern Ireland, not the Government of England. Stop being purposefully dense.

Original post by Jim-ie

Well, essentially, yes, I would hope an Irishman would understand the Irish Republican Army more than an Englishman or an American, a Canadian or a Japanese for all that matter, clues in the name wee son, you didnt grow up during a conflict.

My credentials are more than you certainly have :smile: The argument makes the man, arguing with a troll doesnt, apparently. See when you have some experience in politics and conflict resolution, come back to me, until then you're a daft insufferbale scrote who reads too much wikipedia

You are evidently one of those people who thinks that reputation alone should settle an argument. It doesn't. Whether you are Irish or Brazilian, whether you are a graduate or you flunked out of an Afghan primary school, fact is fact and bull**** is bull****, and you have been talking bull**** this entire time. Your pathetic wikipedia insult means as little as your imaginary credentials. For the last time, **** off you troll and stop discussing a subject that you know **** all about.

I don't know that this is my thing since you guys are engaging in matters that are personalized and not productive. My interest is in having a discussion. I'm an Irish Citizen and that means the world to me. I want to exchange information, not insults. During the so called "famine" (which was a simple potato blight) Irish were murdered by British for trying to live. Attempting to hunt on what was now "The King's Land" our numbers were reduced from 7 mil to 3 mil, as Irish ate grass and died on their knees. It didn't have to happen. The United Kingdom was a pretty barbaric problem the world over, all the way to the relatively recent Falkland Island obsession. That attack was consistent with the infatuation with power and control. (I don't think it was about sheep.) That's a fact. Go back again to the Irish, and deny we were beheaded by British for speaking our own language. Heads of Priests were put on posts.That's a fact. Ireland doesn't like an invasion any more than Brits would, and has suffered over and over from Danes, French as well as British. That's a fact. A free Ireland would be a great thing but I'm no fool and The North of Ireland will never be part of The South again. Enough have suffered and died...continually. What about the daughter of Bernadette Devln McAlaskey? A pregnant Roisin, starving in a British prison. What is it you're defending regarding all this that you stoop to base name calling? This is supposed to be a learning forum not a sandbox name hurling contest. This is most disappointing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't see where it is I need to resubmit my email. Can you tell me what to do?
No, you evidently don't. Your supposed credentials mean **** all. You could have a PhD in Maths from Cambridge, but if you tried to argue that one plus one equaled three, you'd still be wrong. No matter what you say or do, where you studied, what fake degree you have, England still wont have any legal or constitutional powers over the other home nations.

You made a point that was wrong, I corrected you. Don't blow a casket at me because you were talking out of your arse.

And even someone as daft and nationalist as yourself should realise that you're opinion is irrelevant. I'm not going to sit here going round and round in circles arguing opinions, which I why I stuck to the facts: England has no legal or consitutional powers over the other home nations. That was in fact what I posted when you entered this arguement ranting like a little bitch, and yet for all your insults and whining, you still have not answered that point.

What is the meaning of constitution then?
That's what I thought, **** off you troll. A constitution is as I said it is, go ask your imaginary professor on your imaginary university course.

Here is the Oxford English dictionary definition
a body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

Face it, I've shown you up for the idiotic troll that you are. Whether you want to call it a constitution or simply a load of laws (Which is what a constitution is), my point still stands. England has absolutely NO legal powers over the other home nation. Your fixation on petty semantics does not change that.

The United Kingdom. It was the Government of the United Kingdom that controlled Northern Ireland, not the Government of England. Stop being purposefully dense.

You are evidently one of those people who thinks that reputation alone should settle an argument. It doesn't. Whether you are Irish or Brazilian, whether you are a graduate or you flunked out of an Afghan primary school, fact is fact and bull**** is bull****, and you have been talking bull**** this entire time. Your pathetic wikipedia insult means as little as your imaginary credentials. For the last time, **** off you troll and stop discussing a subject that you know **** all about.

Within a space of time demographic changes in the unionist / nationalist balance in N.ireland will result in a referendum, already guaranteed under the Good Friday Agreement, which will result in a majority for the re-unification of Ireland. This is inevitable.
Original post by CUT THE BULL
Within a space of time demographic changes in the unionist / nationalist balance in N.ireland will result in a referendum, already guaranteed under the Good Friday Agreement, which will result in a majority for the re-unification of Ireland. This is inevitable.

Christ how did this thread get revived after five years?!
I believe opinion polls show little change in the unionist/nationalist balance, only Protestant/Catholic balance, because Catholic no longer automatically equals nationalist, with the troubles and main grievances being over and all.
Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't, but it's hardly inevitable; demographic shifts happen constantly. Populations can have booms and declines within a decade of each other.
Ireland is and has been an invaded country for centuries of oppression by Denmark, France and England. Beheaded for speaking Irish, thrown off their own land and each time there was another oppression. Lack of potatoes is not a famine. It was a blight. Yet Ireland's population was reduced from 7 mil to 3 mil. in just that one episode. Seriously, this isn't about a potato; it's about being murdered and tortured by Brits, for hunting or fishing. Reduced to eating grass they died. Lets just call it what it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending