The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
Same as you, grade 6 piano practical in November/December. My practise schedule is currently play them through now and again, not good I know but I really struggle to make myself do much more :frown: I haven't learnt even one of my pieces to a good standard either so if it's worrying then I'll join the club! Diminished sevenths scales will be the death of me! My pieces generally have the notes right but the rhythm is sometimes off and the speed is way too slow. I also haven't put the pedal in yet :frown: Which pieces are you doing for your A, B and C piece?

Hey I'm telling you I'm worse- I have the Sinfonia for A, do not like that thing, I can only play the first page, second page bleh, B I have the Mazurka, also only first page, third I have Over The Rainbow, literally started looking at it yesterday first time :frown: I don't mind diminished sevenths when I lived overseas my teacher really liked them, just the volume of scales is scary, and haven't even got the books for sight rreadin or aural yet. :frown: I think I'm dead.
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Hey I'm telling you I'm worse- I have the Sinfonia for A, do not like that thing, I can only play the first page, second page bleh, B I have the Mazurka, also only first page, third I have Over The Rainbow, literally started looking at it yesterday first time :frown: I don't mind diminished sevenths when I lived overseas my teacher really liked them, just the volume of scales is scary, and haven't even got the books for sight rreadin or aural yet. :frown: I think I'm dead.

We're quite similar then pieces wise. For A I'm doing the Minuet and Trio then I'm doing the same as you for B and C :smile: Over the rainbow is a lovely piece, I definitely learnt it quickest out of my pieces though I guess it probably helped that I know the song really well which helps with the interpretation (but makes it worse when it goes into slightly different rhythms). There's 229 scales if I've calculated correctly :cry: and I hate scales almost as much as sight reading. I've never got the aural or sight reading books for my grades but I guess that is up to the teacher. I don't really practise either of them, will do aural a few times before the exam and will most likely fail sight reading (but it's easier to gain marks on other sections than make my sight reading better so we work on other sections instead)
Original post by Lemur14
We're quite similar then pieces wise. For A I'm doing the Minuet and Trio then I'm doing the same as you for B and C :smile: Over the rainbow is a lovely piece, I definitely learnt it quickest out of my pieces though I guess it probably helped that I know the song really well which helps with the interpretation (but makes it worse when it goes into slightly different rhythms). There's 229 scales if I've calculated correctly :cry: and I hate scales almost as much as sight reading. I've never got the aural or sight reading books for my grades but I guess that is up to the teacher. I don't really practise either of them, will do aural a few times before the exam and will most likely fail sight reading (but it's easier to gain marks on other sections than make my sight reading better so we work on other sections instead)

Yeah, I really like Over the Rainbow, which as you said is good for interpretations but the rhythms mess me up a bit! 229! haha and I've set my goal to practice each one 8-10 times. I'm well and truly dead! I would really recommend getting the grade books for sight reading at least. I used to suck at sight reading, managed to scrape a pass though at Grade 5, but what I think is that because I did Theory I'll get better at recognising the rhythms. On that note, how did you do at theory? And any tips for the aural which I fail every time?
Thanks for the help work experience wise everyone. I haven't got round to finding any yet but my auntie is the manager of Wilkos and said I could have a job there eventually so that's good. Hope everyone's having a great summer ❤️
Heya everybody, been afk working hard since the months, finally logged on to my account again, how's everybody doing? Holidays going well? Is there going to be a new thread seeing as we are transferring to Y11 come september?
Original post by AryanGh
Heya everybody, been afk working hard since the months, finally logged on to my account again, how's everybody doing? Holidays going well? Is there going to be a new thread seeing as we are transferring to Y11 come september?

Nice to see you again! It's been ages!

My holidays are great, it's good to have a break from school and stay up all night without worrying! How are you? Enjoying the holidays too?

Yes we are going to have a new thread. I believe it would be made after results day, I'm not quite sure yet, I will let everyone know and try and tag everyone into the new thread :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I really like Over the Rainbow, which as you said is good for interpretations but the rhythms mess me up a bit! 229! haha and I've set my goal to practice each one 8-10 times. I'm well and truly dead! I would really recommend getting the grade books for sight reading at least. I used to suck at sight reading, managed to scrape a pass though at Grade 5, but what I think is that because I did Theory I'll get better at recognising the rhythms. On that note, how did you do at theory? And any tips for the aural which I fail every time?

The rhythm! My teacher would kill me if she heard how I practise it at home sometimes as I sort of fix the rhythm to the song rather than this version.
The 229 does include every version of each scale (so left hand, right hand and together etc.) but still that's way too many :frown:
My teacher never had used the grade book for some reason and it's been fine so far so I'm not going to give myself extra work!
Theory wise I got 78/100 (so 2 marks off a merit) but tbh I was just happy to have it over with.
For aural, sound confident even if you're not. Learn the different key words and the context they would be used in so you can produce them even if you don't know the answer. For the singing then keep going with the rhythm/ up and downs in the pitch even if you get the notes wrong. And finally, when they ask you the time signature then if you have no clue pick either 2 time or 4 time because if it's one of them and you pick the other you get some credit, whereas if you pick 3 time you get no credit unless it is that.
Original post by Lemur14
The rhythm! My teacher would kill me if she heard how I practise it at home sometimes as I sort of fix the rhythm to the song rather than this version.
The 229 does include every version of each scale (so left hand, right hand and together etc.) but still that's way too many :frown:
My teacher never had used the grade book for some reason and it's been fine so far so I'm not going to give myself extra work!
Theory wise I got 78/100 (so 2 marks off a merit) but tbh I was just happy to have it over with.
For aural, sound confident even if you're not. Learn the different key words and the context they would be used in so you can produce them even if you don't know the answer. For the singing then keep going with the rhythm/ up and downs in the pitch even if you get the notes wrong. And finally, when they ask you the time signature then if you have no clue pick either 2 time or 4 time because if it's one of them and you pick the other you get some credit, whereas if you pick 3 time you get no credit unless it is that.

Wow that actually helped me so much!! yeah for the theory I only got a couple of points over the merit and I did it so quick, it nearly killed me :P I'll try to practise aural more for sure.
Wow that actually helped me so much!! yeah for the theory I only got a couple of points over the merit and I did it so quick, it nearly killed me :P I'll try to practise aural more for sure.

It took me nearly 2 years from doing my grade 5 practical to doing my theory! It wasn't that I couldn't do it or hadn't done theory before but that my teacher insisted I did every single example in every single book :cry: The books were 80 pages odd and A4, full of very little explanation and a lot of examples. So as I got bored, I got slower at doing them and so on...then I couldn't make a couple of the dates so it just took forever. I got full marks in my grade 1 aural and failed my grade 2 aural (I think...or I might have been right on the pass mark) which goes to show how much practise matters (as my teacher only went through it a couple of times as she thought I could do it after grade 1's mark). What I need to practise is sight reading and scales but nooooooooooooooo not doing that....
Original post by Lemur14
It took me nearly 2 years from doing my grade 5 practical to doing my theory! It wasn't that I couldn't do it or hadn't done theory before but that my teacher insisted I did every single example in every single book :cry: The books were 80 pages odd and A4, full of very little explanation and a lot of examples. So as I got bored, I got slower at doing them and so on...then I couldn't make a couple of the dates so it just took forever. I got full marks in my grade 1 aural and failed my grade 2 aural (I think...or I might have been right on the pass mark) which goes to show how much practise matters (as my teacher only went through it a couple of times as she thought I could do it after grade 1's mark). What I need to practise is sight reading and scales but nooooooooooooooo not doing that....

Wow ouch that must have been painful. Good on you for getting it done now. Funny thing is, I really like scales, I'm not sure why but maybe because you can see your progress and there are specific points where you can gain marks- like accuracy, instead of the vague 'interpretation'. :P In Grade 5 I got 20/21 for scales which was really nice. But yeah, I don't want to keep failing Aural, like if I got close to full marks on it, and then a couple of extra marks on sight reading, I could've gotten distinction. Are you finding Grade 6 as big of a step up from Grade 5 as I am?
Hello
Wow ouch that must have been painful. Good on you for getting it done now. Funny thing is, I really like scales, I'm not sure why but maybe because you can see your progress and there are specific points where you can gain marks- like accuracy, instead of the vague 'interpretation'. :P In Grade 5 I got 20/21 for scales which was really nice. But yeah, I don't want to keep failing Aural, like if I got close to full marks on it, and then a couple of extra marks on sight reading, I could've gotten distinction. Are you finding Grade 6 as big of a step up from Grade 5 as I am?

It was very painful indeed! I think really the reason why I don't like scales is that I don't know them well enough so I don't practise them enough so I don't know them etc. I think if there was a breakdown of how you got each mark for each section that would be helpful but that's because we are basically exam machines as we want to learn exactly how to do each thing for an exam to get the full marks but not necessarily fully understand it. Wow, well done on 20/21 on scales. I can't remember what I got but I think it was about 16 or so lol. tbh I'd be really happy with a merit but I think that's because I haven't done a practical exam in a while so I don't remember what I got and how close I was to a distinction. A merit would just make me happy as it is above the pass, but I don't think I can get a distinction which is why I would be happy with a merit lol. I don't really remember grade 5 tbh so I wouldn't say it's that much of a step up, and I've also been playing these pieces for a year and a half now so while it might have been at the beginning, by now I'm used to these pieces so they don't seem so hard.
Original post by Greenapplepear
Hello

Hello :biggrin:
How's everyone feeling about going into Year 11 in a month???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tolulah

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember feeling excited but very nervous before year 11. It seems like just yesterday but it's been 5 years now :emo:*
Original post by tolulah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indifferent :P It just feels like it'll be a continuation of Year 10 with little to nothing changing. (have all the same teachers)
Original post by tolulah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nervous that the exams are next May/June !!! only 9 months to go !!! :frown::frown::frown:
Original post by tolulah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of terrified, and maybe slightly excited. I'm not sure why I'm excited, maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know :s-smilie:. I have two different teachers and hopefully a different form tutor. Terrified for all the exams and coursework!!
Kind of terrified, and maybe slightly excited. I'm not sure why I'm excited, maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know :s-smilie:. I have two different teachers and hopefully a different form tutor. Terrified for all the exams and coursework!!

I'm very nervous and kind of excited. The exams are getting closer and yet I still gave to sort out my CA for Computing and so on. I wonder if I'll manage to survive Y11 and get good grades at GCSEs.
I'm super excited for Year 11! I can't wait to see the misbehaving students crack down on their work like me, and start begging me for help after all these years of calling me a 'nerd' :colone:

Anyway, I think I might be taking an extra GCSE. I applied for some sorta GCSE enrichment programme at Kings Maths School (partnered with Kings College Uni IIRC) and apparently there's a Further Maths iGCSE qualification at the end of it? Gonna wait and see. Looks really hard by the look of the past papers however. It's like 46% for an A :eek:
Original post by Gabzinc
I'm super excited for Year 11! I can't wait to see the misbehaving students crack down on their work like me, and start begging me for help after all these years of calling me a 'nerd' :colone:

Anyway, I think I might be taking an extra GCSE. I applied for some sorta GCSE enrichment programme at Kings Maths School (partnered with Kings College Uni IIRC) and apparently there's a Further Maths iGCSE qualification at the end of it? Gonna wait and see. Looks really hard by the look of the past papers however. It's like 46% for an A :eek:

Is that AQA's Level 2 certificate? That'd be good to take if you're planning on taking Maths on to A-Level.

Latest