The Student Room Group

Article: Understanding conditional offers

Scroll to see replies

What happens if you get a conditional offer based on getting a pass in your masters by research by 31st August but the exam board don't meet until end of Sept?
Original post by medgeek92
What happens if you get a conditional offer based on getting a pass in your masters by research by 31st August but the exam board don't meet until end of Sept?

Then you need to contact your university and explain that to them and see what they say.
Original post by PQ
Then you need to contact your university and explain that to them and see what they say.

I have said that my viva will be before the 31st and that I will know if I've passed, then the next day they gave me an offer, but it says conditional upon certified evidence of a pass, now I don't know what they mean by that and whether a letter from my masters supervisor will suffice
Reply 4
What about if your MA offer is "an overall average grade of 67% or above" - does this mean across Part I and Part II of your degree or just Part II? I got 69 in Part I but may just miss out on 67 in Part II. (Cambridge tripos, I don't know if other places have separate Parts...)
Original post by rh534
What about if your MA offer is "an overall average grade of 67% or above" - does this mean across Part I and Part II of your degree or just Part II? I got 69 in Part I but may just miss out on 67 in Part II. (Cambridge tripos, I don't know if other places have separate Parts...)

An overall average is an overall average.
If you are unclear how your degree average will be calculated check your student handbook.
If on checking Part II is the only part that matters then contact the university making the offer and explain you may miss the offer conditions.
Reply 6
Hi I have received a conditional offer but I finished all my exams last year and have met the entry requirements so is this a mistake
Original post by karajade
Hi I have received a conditional offer but I finished all my exams last year and have met the entry requirements so is this a mistake

Heya, where have you applied? :smile: I'd give the university admissions team a call to see what's going on as they'll know what's happened.

Katie :h:
Reply 8
Original post by Staffordshire University
Heya, where have you applied? :smile: I'd give the university admissions team a call to see what's going on as they'll know what's happened.

Katie :h:

It was at Wolverhampton i have found out why.. I have got to give evidence of qualifications before they can offer me a unconditional offer
Original post by karajade
It was at Wolverhampton i have found out why.. I have got to give evidence of qualifications before they can offer me a unconditional offer

Ah, there you go :smile: Glad you figured it out :h: Congratulations on your offer!
Reply 10
Today my place was deffered as the uni said I didn't bring my GCSEs in before the deadline ... They emailed me to ask me to confirm when I bought them in and I replied saying March the 28th at interview. My response was ignored so I went to the univerisity with my results and asked why I had to bring them again to which they said they hadn't received them. I 100% did bring them in but it's now my word against there's :frown: in the mean time it's been 10 weeks since that deadline and I've had no communication from them and I have completed my dbs and my work experience and taken my access results in.. My GCSEs are 8 years old and because of this administive error I've now lost my place .. I'm absolutely gutted I want to appeal but dnt even no where to start
Original post by DestnAlf
Today my place was deffered as the uni said I didn't bring my GCSEs in before the deadline ... They emailed me to ask me to confirm when I bought them in and I replied saying March the 28th at interview. My response was ignored so I went to the univerisity with my results and asked why I had to bring them again to which they said they hadn't received them. I 100% did bring them in but it's now my word against there's :frown: in the mean time it's been 10 weeks since that deadline and I've had no communication from them and I have completed my dbs and my work experience and taken my access results in.. My GCSEs are 8 years old and because of this administive error I've now lost my place .. I'm absolutely gutted I want to appeal but dnt even no where to start

You should contact them and offer to take them in ASAP, I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't put you in this year's cohort still. You could even scan in your certificates and email them to the uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Roving Fish
You should contact them and offer to take them in ASAP, I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't put you in this year's cohort still. You could even scan in your certificates and email them to the uni.
I took them straight down to them after they ignored my reply ... I'm going to speak to the director of admissions today but I think I'm being treated really unfairly
I took them straight down to them after they ignored my reply ... I'm going to speak to the director of admissions today but I think I'm being treated really unfairly

Make sure that you speak calm and collectively and explain the situation. UCAS can also get involved if you need them to.
Reply 14
Make sure that you speak calm and collectively and explain the situation. UCAS can also get involved if you need them to.

I didn't no that .. Thank you.. I've emailed requesting the director of admissions contact details and I've drafted an email explaining everything, taking ownership myself for my conditions but highlighting that's these were met and if they hadn't the university have had ten weeks to inform me otherwise and haven't done so.
The whole thing has just thrown my life up the air over my GCSEs it's ridiculous
I didn't no that .. Thank you.. I've emailed requesting the director of admissions contact details and I've drafted an email explaining everything, taking ownership myself for my conditions but highlighting that's these were met and if they hadn't the university have had ten weeks to inform me otherwise and haven't done so.
The whole thing has just thrown my life up the air over my GCSEs it's ridiculous

@PQ might be able to advise a bit further as she's got a wealth of unchallenged knowledge over admissions...

You're doing the right thing - unfortunately without proof that you showed your certificates at interview they're unlikely to believe you - a lot of applicants come up with excuses when they miss a deadline and a university is always going to believe their own staff over an applicant if it's your word against theirs. :frown:

Take your certificates in, speak to the boss as an adult - make it clear you understand their position but that you've now met all their conditions before A level results day so think it would be reasonable to let you take up a place this year.

If you can see if you can contact the student union before the meeting to see if they can get a sabbatical staff member to accompany you to the meeting - they can only help

@PQ might be able to advise a bit further as she's got a wealth of unchallenged knowledge over admissions...

Unchallenged is a lie:smile:
Original post by PQ

We disposed of the bodies at least. :ninja:
Reply 18

Any help would be greatly received, feels slightly like its me against the university at the moment but I've worked to hard to just walk away and an half way through my four weeks notice at work so I've no longer got a place at uni or a job at the moment. Half the battle is getting somebody to listen
Thank you for your advice
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
You're doing the right thing - unfortunately without proof that you showed your certificates at interview they're unlikely to believe you - a lot of applicants come up with excuses when they miss a deadline and a university is always going to believe their own staff over an applicant if it's your word against theirs. :frown:

Take your certificates in, speak to the boss as an adult - make it clear you understand their position but that you've now met all their conditions before A level results day so think it would be reasonable to let you take up a place this year.

If you can see if you can contact the student union before the meeting to see if they can get a sabbatical staff member to accompany you to the meeting - they can only help

Thank you for your advice .. I'm defiantly going to see how far I can take this and I've emailed student union.
I'll let you no the outcome
Thanks again

Quick Reply