The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
Original post by TaraBelle
Yeah that is similar :biggrin: I wanted to take psychology actually, but my school didn't offer it so I took sociology instead :L it is yeah! not looking forward to that seeing how the unit one in jan went for everyone... :/

Really? I didn't know that either! :O Learn something new every day :smile: oooh good luck! :biggrin: what else do you do? do you play anything else as well as flute? Ummmm I do like some youth council stuff, and weekly volunteering at a hospital, and I'm a tutor :smile: nothing too interesting tbh :L I do wish I still played an instrument though- so regret giving up!

Yo I messaged you, check your public profile :biggrin:
Hiya, how's everyone doing???

And yes, AQA bio EMPA is mental, that table was insane :/ Just the written paper to look forward to now. What fun, all in the same week as physics PSA take 2 as well. Oh the joys, I need it to be the end of the year already!!! Have all this stuff over and done with, of course then I reckon I'll be a nervous wreck until results :/
Reply 1702
Anyone thinking of taking the BioMed route before going into Medicine?? :s-smilie:
Reply 1703
Original post by Varsh05
Anyone thinking of taking the BioMed route before going into Medicine?? :s-smilie:

If you're thinking the postgraduate or 'biomed transferring to med' routes are easier options, then you'd be wrong, the competition for those places are even more competitive than undergraduate places.

I personally know that I would definitely reapply if I didn't get in the first time, I don't think I could handle doing a degree I didn't want to do, even to lead myself onto something I did want to do. I think I would consider reapplying 2 times before deciding to stop. But then again, I like to think I'd be able to learn from mistakes enough to get on the course before then. I hope so.

What about you though, what are you thinking?
Original post by Varsh05

Nah, I'm gap year and then reapply :smile: (My chem tutor ain't very happy about that though!!)
Woo just arranged a week in General Surgery and soon to be starting some Hospital Volunteering! 20 week role :biggrin:

Got a dilemma though with regards as to what do next year.

Should I drop Fine Art and pick up the EPQ, or should I continue with Fine Art? Got to be one or the other! Ahhhh dunno what to do :eek:
Reply 1706
Original post by erniiee
Woo just arranged a week in General Surgery and soon to be starting some Hospital Volunteering! 20 week role :biggrin:

Should I drop Fine Art and pick up the EPQ, or should I continue with Fine Art? Got to be one or the other! Ahhhh dunno what to do :eek:

EPQ. It's very useful for medicine, in fact some school's force their potential medics to do it. :smile:
Original post by erniiee

Probably an EPQ :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G
EPQ. It's very useful for medicine, in fact some school's force their potential medics to do it. :smile:

Original post by Natalie21
Probably an EPQ :biggrin:

Hmm..really sell it to me :wink:
Original post by erniiee
Hmm..really sell it to me :wink:

I'm spending tonight writing the second last section of my EPQ - and tbh it has been a bit of a nightmare but thats because I've been doing it on top of 6 other AS levels :P
I'm spending tonight writing the second last section of my EPQ - and tbh it has been a bit of a nightmare but thats because I've been doing it on top of 6 other AS levels :P

Ah I don't know how you cope, I struggle enough with 4 haha. Well, thats certainly encouraging! :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by erniiee
Ah I don't know how you cope, I struggle enough with 4 haha. Well, thats certainly encouraging! :biggrin: :tongue:

To be fair one is general studies = no work, but critical thinking A2 does take time!!

The EPQ is good though - particularly if you can start it before summer :biggrin:
Anyone done there AQA AS Biology ISA?
Reply 1713

Welcome to my world. :yep:
Hey guys, :biggrin:

Just wanted to ask, for those of you are who are thinking of doing the EPQ or have done/started it, what are you doing it on?
Reply 1715
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Hey guys, :biggrin:

Just wanted to ask, for those of you are who are thinking of doing the EPQ or have done/started it, what are you doing it on?

My title is:

"To What Extent Is Gene Therapy a Viable Treatment Option for Cystic Fibrosis"
Original post by calender1994
Anyone done there AQA AS Biology ISA?

Sure have did it about a month or so ago :smile:
Original post by AtomicMan
Yay :smile: You'll enjoy it, especially the patients, they make it fun when it becomes to boring.

Also, at volunteering at saturday, everyone time I walked by this old lady, she always held my hand and told me that she doesnt want to die alone and asked me not to leave, in a very sorrow manner, and this really affected me and I didnt really know how to respond.

It made me think about how the elderly are sometimes treated. It feels like they are sometimes ignored by their families, as some rarely ever visit, and that sometimes the staff come across as very insincere when dealing with the residents. Could this be because they dont want to get too attached and suffer when they inevitably pass away? Or are they just mean? Just thoughts. Anyone else have similar experience

It made me hope that when I grow old, my family dont abandon me in a nursing home to die.

I know what you mean, at my volunteering one of the patients started telling me about how she's tried to commit suicide, and how if she had the chance she'd try again... It's horrible when for a moment you just can't think of what to say at all. I ended up just tried to console her saying she's not alone, how much I liked seeing her every week and all the good things in life, but it's still such a horrible feeling when someone discloses something like that :frown:

Also I think if anything, it's got to be the the second option- doctors and nurses must see people come and go and pass away all the time, it's in their own interests not to get too attached and then be so hurt everytime you lose someone. It might affect their work the next day with another patient who they should be paying their full attention to? I don't know tbh, just an idea. What do people think?
Hi! Anyone doing IB here I'm hoping to apply for med too :smile:
Original post by oli_G
My title is:

"To What Extent Is Gene Therapy a Viable Treatment Option for Cystic Fibrosis"

No.

Do i know too little about it or is this your conclusion too?

To he guy who asked before, EPQs can be useful in showing interest and research skills but are no to be compared to an AS OR A level, they simply aren't held in the same esteem.

This said i'm doing the EPQ myself and would recommend it.

wait read your post again, Unis only consider the 3 best a levels so do EPQ
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest