The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by villagegirl
How come superior standard feels less claustrophobic than the townhouses? I would have thought it would be the other way around and the different floors in the townhouse would stop it feeling claustrophobic! I'm not bothered about an en-suite, just want somewhere with a living area. I left my last uni because I didn't like my course but also my halls were just corridors with a common room as social space, which although it was good fun sometimes, I just wanted somewhere to relax which was a bit more homely and personal! Do people use the social spaces a lot? I'm a people person and can't stand being stuck in my room all the time aha! Is county a sociable college too?

Yeah, you would think that! All of my friends who have been in both agree with me that superior standard is less claustrophobic though none of us can really say why. When you're on different floors though it can kind of feel like each floor is segregated from each other though, if that makes sense. I'm afraid I can't really explain it! They're both really great accommodation though - I'd argue the two best on campus, and significantly better than the more soulless en-suite! The living areas with sofas and a tv (doesn't come with the rent but someone will always bring one into the kitchen and you don't need a licence) really make a difference regardless of which one you're in - there's always someone in there to play a game with, have a drink with, eat your tea with, watch tv with...whatever :smile:
I'd argue that County was the most sociable college on campus - whenever I'm on a night out and people ask me which college I'm in, when I reply 'County' the most common reply is, 'Aww, I wish I was in County!' But whichever college you choose, you'll love it!
Apologies for the rant...have an exam tomorrow and am massively procrastinating...
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1741
hey guys! i applied to bowland for a upgraded standard room! i put basic en suite at county as second choice and was wondering if most people get their first choice? i was gonna go for basic en suite all the way, but looking at the pictures of the basic en suite on facebook, i got the feeling that they were pretty old and looked depressing, whereas the upgraded standard get to share a kitchen with 16 people more, which means more socializing! and i also get to pay 10 pounds less a week :biggrin:
can you give me any info more about the upgraded standard rooms at bowland like what's the size of the room and is cleaning by any chance included in these flats?
I found out (a few minutes ago) that you can create an account now and apply.

http://www.colleges-residences.lancs.ac.uk

Your ID would be your UCAS ID. Once registered, a new username will be sent to your email address. It won't accept the UCAS ID after registration.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1743
Original post by Erratic
I found out (a few minutes ago) that you can create an account now and apply.

http://www.colleges-residences.lancs.ac.uk

Your ID would be your UCAS ID. Once registered, a new username will be sent to your email address. It won't accept the UCAS ID after registration.

Thanks for the head up. Just booked my accommodation, now to get the grades :biggrin:

Passed this on to the Facebook applicants group and everyones going crazy haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1744
Sweeeeet. Just applied.
Can't wait to have my own sink. :smug:
Original post by Sullster
Thanks for the head up. Just booked my accommodation, now to get the grades :biggrin:

Passed this on to the Facebook applicants group and everyones going crazy haha.

No problem. I can't seem to find your post on Facebook, I hope they didn't delete it :eek:

Good luck to everyone (... and myself)!
Is this first come first serve?
No, it's not first come first serve.
Can you apply for Lancaster 1st year accomodation yet?
Original post by Erratic
No, it's not first come first serve.

So if I apply like after 1-2 months from now I still have a good chance to get it? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kiradotee
So if I apply like after 1-2 months from now I still have a good chance to get it? :smile:

There is a deadline for applications, after which they will not promise to get you a room [if you are firm offer holder].

Undergraduate Applications

Once our application site opens in June we will send an email to all students that have accepted a place on a course, inviting them to create an account, and then apply for college membership and accommodation. As more students accept places through the summer, they will be picked up and emailed in weekly batches.

We endeavour to place every student in one of the two colleges they are asked to choose when they apply, though this is not always possible. We also take into account the type of accommodation you are applying for in deciding which is best for you. Although we ask for your preferences you should be prepared to accept some concessions if we are unable to meet all of your criteria. Please notify us of any special circumstances regarding disabilities, medical conditions and allergies when you apply. You may wish to view details about adapted rooms for students with disabilities here.

Guarantees

Incoming Undergraduates for whom Lancaster is their first choice university, and who have firmly accepted an offer via UCAS, are guaranteed a place in residence if they apply before 15 August. We will endeavour to accommodate Insurance and Clearing students but are unable to guarantee this, though the Students' Union housing office is able to provide advice on accommodation off-campus.

Providing we receive applications by the relevant deadlines, we also guarantee to accommodate the following: Undergraduates returning to Lancaster after a placement year abroad or in industry; overseas students throughout their course; students with special needs or disabilities; and students on Study Abroad programmes.

Erasmus exchange students are not guaranteed a place in university accommodation.

If we don't receive your application by the relevant deadline we will assume that you are making your own arrangements off campus.

Details of the particular deadline for this year will be in the information they send out this month/next month. :smile:
Does anyone have pictures/videos of a townhouse accomodation?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Can you apply for Lancaster 1st year accomodation yet?

June! :smile: You will get an email!
Original post by slacker07906
June! :smile: You will get an email!

Great! thanks!
Original post by misseckleburg
Yeah, you would think that! All of my friends who have been in both agree with me that superior standard is less claustrophobic though none of us can really say why. When you're on different floors though it can kind of feel like each floor is segregated from each other though, if that makes sense. I'm afraid I can't really explain it! They're both really great accommodation though - I'd argue the two best on campus, and significantly better than the more soulless en-suite! The living areas with sofas and a tv (doesn't come with the rent but someone will always bring one into the kitchen and you don't need a licence) really make a difference regardless of which one you're in - there's always someone in there to play a game with, have a drink with, eat your tea with, watch tv with...whatever :smile:
I'd argue that County was the most sociable college on campus - whenever I'm on a night out and people ask me which college I'm in, when I reply 'County' the most common reply is, 'Aww, I wish I was in County!' But whichever college you choose, you'll love it!
Apologies for the rant...have an exam tomorrow and am massively procrastinating...

Thanks for posting, because you've definitely just confirmed my decision to choose superior standard. County seems to be the best :')

Also, how come you say you don't need a license for the tele?
Reply 1755
Has anyone heard from them yet about applying for accommodation?

It says they email you at the start of June and I realise this is only the third working day in June with the double bank holiday and all but I'm getting paranoid!
Reply 1756
Doesn't matter, just found this from the Lancaster Residences Facebook page on 2 June
Just a quick status update to let all undergraduate students joining us in september that we have not yet sent any emails inviting people to apply for accommodation. We are hoping to start sending these towards the end of next week - we will post another update when we are back in work on Wednesday after the bank holiday
Just got my email :biggrin:
Reply 1758
I've just got my email through to apply but I'm stuck on what to put down.

I've narrowed it down to two:
County superior standard £96 per week
Grizedale superior ensuite £112 per week

I've choosen these two because I liked the idea of having a lounge area. I really like county but you have to share with up to 12 people where as in grizedale you only share with 6. I liked the sound of less people better but am not sure if it will be as fun as the county. I'm doing physics btw.

Any opinions would be valued. Thanks.
Reply 1759
Original post by Jackroyd
I've just got my email through to apply but I'm stuck on what to put down.

I've narrowed it down to two:
County superior standard £96 per week
Grizedale superior ensuite £112 per week

I've choosen these two because I liked the idea of having a lounge area. I really like county but you have to share with up to 12 people where as in grizedale you only share with 6. I liked the sound of less people better but am not sure if it will be as fun as the county. I'm doing physics btw.

Any opinions would be valued. Thanks.

Put both, you can have first and second choice in your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending