The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Geographical Investigations

This is next Wednesday AM. How's everyone been revising? I'm doing crowded coasts and unequal spaces. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing crowded coasts too.. completely clueless! I think past papers are the only way forward.. and the cgp guide! my teacher's useless
Reply 2
My rebranding teacher is awful, I'm just revising some stats to put into my answers because otherwise I find I'm being too general :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I prefer Unit 1...

Anyway, revision is going quite well, I just need to start revising again after my four days off due to other exams.
I'm doing rebranding an extreme weather.. i can never answer the fieldwork questions :/
Doing crowded coasts and rebranding...Im not very good with essays so I'm definitely gonna fail :frown:
Reply 6
I'm doing rebranding and extreme weather.

I don't get the point of this paper it doesn't even test us properly.

Anyone know any good revision strategies for this?!
how are you guys revising for extreme weather and rebranding topics?
I am just making notes on the case studies and trying to memorise them, as well as learning the data from my fieldwork...
Any advice on how to revise for this topic will be very appreciated :colondollar:
Original post by thediamonds
how are you guys revising for extreme weather and rebranding topics?
I am just making notes on the case studies and trying to memorise them, as well as learning the data from my fieldwork...
Any advice on how to revise for this topic will be very appreciated :colondollar:

That's all I'm doing, i've looked at the past paper questions as well
Reply 9
For fieldwork and research questions, if they ask for the results, our teacher said you could make it up (as long as it is realistic) as they won't check or even have a way to check :smile:
Original post by Grafton
For fieldwork and research questions, if they ask for the results, our teacher said you could make it up (as long as it is realistic) as they won't check or even have a way to check :smile:

Yeah that's what my teacher said as long as its vaguely the same as your class but as there is only twelve of us it's not too bad! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Hey! it says we're supposed to spend 30 minutes on each section, how is everybody dividing their time? Obviously the majority of this time will be spent on the 15 mark question but how are we supposed to answer two ten mark questions in this time!?
You've really got to be careful with your time in this exam, spending 10mins on the 10markers and 15 mins on the 15 markers should be ok but its still really tight with time.

In my opinion the worst part of this exam is the lack of time we get to complete it!

Don't think of the questions as essays otherwise you will end up spending too much time on them.

4 fieldwork techniques and 4 research techniques for the 15 marker is what i've been told to do.
If anyone needs any help with Unequal Spaces or Coasts I'm happy to help :smile:

Here are some fieldwork and research techniques you could use in the 15 marker: (these are off the top of my head but I hope they are still useful, its good revision for me anyway :P)

Fieldwork (Primary techniques):
-Questionnaires, talking about sampling eg random, stratified etc (can be Social or Economic)
-EQS (Environmental Quality Survey), basically ranking the local area based on a variety of categories (categories can be Social, Economic or Environmental)
-Pollution Survey, looking at litter in an area (Environmental)
-Car Count Survey, looking at traffic ineuqalities (Economic and Environmental)
-Bi-Polar Anaylsis, good and bad points of an area ( Social, Economic or Environmental)
-Cost Benefit Analysis, comparing coastal defence stratagies (Economic)
-Longshore Drift Experiment, see which coasts are most affected by LSD (Environmental)
-Rock Pool Ecology experiment, see which coasts are ecologically important (Environmental)
-Shop Front survey, looking at shops in coastal tourist 'centres' and comparing with other coastlines (Economic)
-Decay Index, ranking areas based on a number of factors and producing an overall ranking (Social)
-Graffiti survey, looking at extent of graffiti in an area to assess deprivation (Social)
-Land Use GOAD map (Economic)
-Interviews (Social)
-Pedestrian Count (Social)
-Housing Deprivation Survey (Social and Economic)

Research (Secondary Techniques):
-Census Data available on council run websites, most recent data available is 2001, can be used to anaylse a variety of potential inequalities eg number of cars per household, qualifications, average income (can be Social, Economic or Environmental)
-Local newspapers, blogs, community website, looking at local's point of view on local issues (can be Social, Economic or Environmental)
-Broadband availability websites eg samknows.com for rural inequalities (Economic)
-Yell.com looking at distance to nearest services like hospitals, school etc (Social)
-upmystreet.com, looking at local neighbourhood data such as house prices, crime and local schools, can be searched by postcodes or possibly super output area (Social)
-Historical maps looking at loss of land due to erosion and loss of villages (Environmental)
-Photo survey, comparing photos, geo-tagging (Social and Environmental)
-Claimant count, people seeking unemployment benefits in an area (Social and Economic)
-Bus routes and timetables for rural inequalities (Social)
-GIS websites like google earth (can be Social, Economic or Environmental)
-Wheres the path website looking at loss of land, comparing map, measuring erosion (Environmental)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Onkar-M
I'm doing rebranding and extreme weather.

I don't get the point of this paper it doesn't even test us properly.

Anyone know any good revision strategies for this?!

Hey I am doing the same, our teacher is amazing and has taught us everything e possibly need to know. I would just say to read over the Unit guide if you have it. Also know your case studies for your fieldwork and research and have a balanced amount of primary and secondary data.

For extreme weather I think this is what is really important:
Pressure systems--> leading to formation of hurricanes/ droughts
Formation of anticyclones
How flooding occurs, increased risk of flooding, reducing flooding
You should have your own research into the investigation of weather (for e.g. we had to keep a weather diary)
Research on an area prone to flooding/ other extreme weather events (we did our on Henley)
Knowledge on GIS

For Rebranding:

What is rebranding, reimaging?
Social, economic and environmental impacts
Causes to rebrand
Secondary (national statistics, newspapers, local guides) and Primary data (land-use maps, interviews, transects) on an area which you have researched for rebranding .

If you read over all the notes and info that you have on the above I am sure you will feel more confident about your exam.
Original post by GottaRevise
Hey I am doing the same, our teacher is amazing and has taught us everything e possibly need to know. I would just say to read over the Unit guide if you have it. Also know your case studies for your fieldwork and research and have a balanced amount of primary and secondary data.

For extreme weather I think this is what is really important:
Pressure systems--> leading to formation of hurricanes/ droughts
Formation of anticyclones
How flooding occurs, increased risk of flooding, reducing flooding
You should have your own research into the investigation of weather (for e.g. we had to keep a weather diary)
Research on an area prone to flooding/ other extreme weather events (we did our on Henley)
Knowledge on GIS

For Rebranding:

What is rebranding, reimaging?
Social, economic and environmental impacts
Causes to rebrand
Secondary (national statistics, newspapers, local guides) and Primary data (land-use maps, interviews, transects) on an area which you have researched for rebranding .

If you read over all the notes and info that you have on the above I am sure you will feel more confident about your exam.

Oh and by the way if you need any help on anything, I have tonnes of notes and I am more than willing to give them to you
Original post by caitwinxo
Hey! it says we're supposed to spend 30 minutes on each section, how is everybody dividing their time? Obviously the majority of this time will be spent on the 15 mark question but how are we supposed to answer two ten mark questions in this time!?

Try and spend around 8 minutes on the ten mark questions and 14 for the 15 mark question, cos that roughly gives you a mark per minute and for the ten mark its not bad timing as long as you have the relevant points made :smile:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Doing crowded coasts and rebranding...Im not very good with essays so I'm definitely gonna fail :frown:

Don't think of it as an essay, its not really its just making points that you have revised and noting them down into a line or couple of lines each for each point. Make sure you have paragraphs and try and make them flow.:smile:
the exam is 1hr15mins right? so u can do a minute a mark if you manage your time right?
Oh yh its 1h 15minutes, a past paper said one hour :/ probably old spec or sumthing

Quick Reply

Latest