The Student Room Group

The 'How to Approach Random Girls in the Street' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsmyname
Videos need to be posted

I haven't tried any of them yet. After exams I will assemble a team and we will go out and film ourselves.
Hey,

Great thread btw Lewroll xD

Just wanted to say, I'm shy as hell too, but yeah have had a few instances when just starting up simple conversation does the trick.

At Haven once (a long time ago) I approached a girl on the premise that we came from similar areas, thus i struck up conversation and got her msn - while having a bit of fun (was wearing a silly, golden wig :cool:).

Another instance, i was in Spain, and there was a reeeealy gorgeous girl walking around (in the hotel btw), i eventually plucked up the courage to approach her and got a bit jittery but managed to get her facebook somehow :biggrin: even though nothing came from either of these attempts, i got kudos from my dad (when i told him, he was impressed xD) and from friends + a great boost to confidence.

Honestly, I am definately no pro, i was ****ting my pants on both occasions O.o but was certainly worth a go :smile:

tl;dr have a go, nothing to lose :smile:
I jumped on a train at Waterloo this morning at stood next to this cute girl. There was no way I was going to speak to her, but at the same time, the thought of regretting speaking to her all day sucked. So I pulled out my phone and wrote...

"Because it's socially unacceptable to speak to people on the train I'm having to resort to this. I think you're cute and wondered if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?"

...and waved it in her face. She read it, smiled at me, then took my phone and wrote her number and name on it.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by LadyLondoner
One question: how do you guys deal with rejection?

We man up.
Original post by Panda Bear
I jumped on a train at Waterloo this morning at stood next to this cute girl. There was no way I was going to speak to her, but at the same time, the thought of regretting speaking to her all day sucked. So I pulled out my phone and wrote...

"Because it's socially unacceptable to speak to people on the train I'm having to result to this. I think you're cute and wondered if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?"

...and waved it in her face. She read it, smiled at me, then took my phone and wrote her number and name on it.

Spoiler

Sorry, i couldn't help but notice 'socially unacceptable' and 'wave it in her face' the first time i read your post... :wink: lol

On a serious note, i feel for you hehe it's hard :s-smilie:, good luck in future :smile:

"Because it's socially unacceptable to speak to people on the train I'm having to result to this. I think you're cute and wondered if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?"

Spoiler

she would have taken the piss because you wrote 'result' when you meant 'resort' rendering your sentence nonsensical.
Original post by mermania

Original post by mermania
she would have taken the piss because you wrote 'result' when you meant 'resort' rendering your sentence nonsensical.

Or my phone would have been an absolute lad and corrected it for me. :tongue:
Or my phone would have been an absolute lad and corrected it for me. :tongue:

:colone:
Reply 228
I spoke to a random fit guy at uni today. We were both waiting for the shop to open. He had smiled at me - but then the silence was awkward. I used what material I could to start a conversation...

There was a poster on the wall next to me, it said 'Lincoln Gay Outdoors Club'!! So, i said to fit boy..
'Did you know we have a gay outdoors club?'
He said 'no'
I said, 'aha! ...i might join!'
He said 'Really? :s '
I said 'No..'

FAIL! I then decided i really didnt need a bottle of water, and walked away..
Reply 229

"Because it's socially unacceptable to speak to people on the train I'm having to resort to this. I think you're cute and wondered if you'd like to go out for a drink sometime?"

Spoiler

You led me on! I was enjoying that story! :angry:

Gggrrrrrrrrr!

PS: Can only read this thread while listening to Marvin Gaye.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 230
subscribed
Original post by BexyQ
I spoke to a random fit guy at uni today. We were both waiting for the shop to open. He had smiled at me - but then the silence was awkward. I used what material I could to start a conversation...

There was a poster on the wall next to me, it said 'Lincoln Gay Outdoors Club'!! So, i said to fit boy..
'Did you know we have a gay outdoors club?'
He said 'no'
I said, 'aha! ...i might join!'
He said 'Really? :s '
I said 'No..'

FAIL! I then decided i really didnt need a bottle of water, and walked away..

aha, why did you walk away?
Reply 232
you say: can i tell you something quickly?... I know this is random but i cant lie, you really pretty, whats your name? (name) you say: (name) dont look so surprised, i know you get this all the time lol(said jokingly) ...they normally respond with "i dont actually" you just say "Dont lie...flirt flirt flirt" So are you from around here?.. blah blah blah lol i need to keep trying this
Reply 233
I bump into the guy who i think is cute and make it look like an accident and say sorry :P that's all i can do!! (FAIL)
bumping someone only works in movies. In real life people will be pissed off if you bump them
Reply 235
Original post by TheGodfather1
bumping someone only works in movies. In real life people will be pissed off if you bump them

Actually i once bumped into this guy i thought was fit on purpose looked up with a frown on my face as if to say watch where you're going, tilted my head, relaxed out of the frown and went 'nyeh' while jokingly looking himm up and down. Grinned cheekily, winked and started to walk way. Ended up with a free coffee and a good friend by the end of the week. :biggrin:

Edit: Why the neg? :|
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by Kayden
you say: can i tell you something quickly?... I know this is random but i cant lie, you really pretty, whats your name? (name) you say: (name) dont look so surprised, i know you get this all the time lol(said jokingly) ...they normally respond with "i dont actually" you just say "Dont lie...flirt flirt flirt" So are you from around here?.. blah blah blah lol i need to keep trying this

This would actually annoy me...it's too full on. Subtlety and jokes go way further IMO :don'tknow:
Breathe on her neck, then when she cringes and turns around, punch her in the nose.

100% foolproof.
Reply 238
Original post by krish.x
This would actually annoy me...it's too full on. Subtlety and jokes go way further IMO :don'tknow:

it works pretty well when i try it lol its pretty direct isnt it lol whats an example that would work for u?
Reply 239
Original post by Kayden
it works pretty well when i try it lol its pretty direct isnt it lol whats an example that would work for u?

Generally when this sort of thing happens to me i instantly think ahh creep or gah he's on the pull. But i have had guys come up to me with a more cheeky approach that's worked well. One time I was in subway and the guy was trying to convince me and a friend to buy the cookies and drinks with the sub... Anyway we said no and he's all are you sure. At which point i cheekily said I'll consider it if it's free. Anyway the guy left it at that and we walked away but then the guy 2 customers behind us bought a few cookies and said mind if I join you? I have free cookies and i couldn't help but overhear that's a plus point with you. :biggrin: WIN.

Apparently free food just does it for me :/ candy from strangers = good. Screw what my mammy taught me.

Quick Reply