The Student Room Group

How NOT to get your heart set on going to Oxford??

So I went to Oxford University, and thought that it was really, really goregeous; the course that I'm interested in seems very exciting too. My mum said on the way back that it was like a 'perfect' university, because it's quite close to where we live as well. :smile:

I'm not currently obsessed with going at all. I just worry that because of all the extra and early things that you have to do to apply, it's going to become the centre of my life, and that I am going to become increasingly hopeful and have my heart set on it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how you can put it into perspective, and see that it isn't really the 'perfect' place to go, and certainly not the 'be all and end all'?

Also, there are other people in my year who are applying for the same subject as me to Oxford - although I don't show it, I am quite a competitive person. The truth is, even though it shouldn't, it would sort of kill me to know that one of these other people has got a place and not me.

Are there any tips as to how I can go about not comparing myself to those doing the same subject as me and applying to Oxford?

Thank you so much for reading.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm, I guess remember that there are plenty of other great Universities out there so whilst getting a place at Oxford is awesome, there's no reason to assume you won't have a fantastic experience somewhere else. :smile:
Reply 2
Just try to tell yourself it is just another university and if you get rejected que sera sera.

You can get a fantastic education and university experience at any university and not going to Oxford won't change that.

Every year they get far more very high calibre candidates than they can take, so it becomes a bit of a lottery as to how you perform on the day in your admissions test (if you have one) and interview.

Not much you can do about being competitive, though just remind yourself they may just have a good day at interview whilst you didn't.

Finally, take a look at the admissions stats, when you take account of the fact that applying to Oxford in the first place is a self selecting process and the vast majority of applicants will have at least AABB at AS whilst a significant number will have a lifetime of perfect grades, they can be quite sobering. http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/courses.html

And after all that, remember also that every year thousands of people so get in and you could be one of them!
Reply 3
Oxford is a beautiful city and has a wonderful University. There is no reason why they will not accept several students from your school. I hope your dream comes true :wink:
Original post by adieu
So I went to Oxford University, and thought that it was really, really goregeous; the course that I'm interested in seems very exciting too. My mum said on the way back that it was like a 'perfect' university, because it's quite close to where we live as well. :smile:

I'm not currently obsessed with going at all. I just worry that because of all the extra and early things that you have to do to apply, it's going to become the centre of my life, and that I am going to become increasingly hopeful and have my heart set on it.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how you can put it into perspective, and see that it isn't really the 'perfect' place to go, and certainly not the 'be all and end all'?

Also, there are other people in my year who are applying for the same subject as me to Oxford - although I don't show it, I am quite a competitive person. The truth is, even though it shouldn't, it would sort of kill me to know that one of these other people has got a place and not me.

Are there any tips as to how I can go about not comparing myself to those doing the same subject as me and applying to Oxford?

Remember there are other good universities. By no means distance yourself; you need to have passion if you want to get in, but honestly there are other great universities. Only a few thousand students go to Oxford each year - yet there are a hell of a lot more than a few thousand securing great graduate jobs each year.

As for not comparing yourself etc. Remember that they don't always get it right, just because they get an offer and you don't it doesn't mean they're better than you. There are mathematicians on TSR that I know are better than me that have been rejected from Cambridge.
Reply 5
Original post by adieu

I feel the exact same way about Cambridge. :frown: Though I have to admit, my feelings ARE tainted with a lil bit of obsession..:crazy:
Original post by hassi94
Remember there are other good universities. By no means distance yourself; you need to have passion if you want to get in, but honestly there are other great universities. Only a few thousand students go to Oxford each year - yet there are a hell of a lot more than a few thousand securing great graduate jobs each year.

As for not comparing yourself etc. Remember that they don't always get it right, just because they get an offer and you don't it doesn't mean they're better than you. There are mathematicians on TSR that I know are better than me that have been rejected from Cambridge.

This post exactly. I was rejected from Oxford post-interview for PPE this year. But I'm not sad, because:
1) I didn't actually like the course /that/ much - lack of flexibility to take modules from other subjects or have languages as part of my degree
2) I wanted something a little less intense than Oxford
3) I'm going to Bath where they have placement years which are amazing and where the degree is soooo flexible and I don't have to do philosophy.
Original post by adieu

Hey, what subject do you want to do? Anyway, I completely understand as I set my heart on Oxford after going to the summer school, but going to visit other unis and talking to other students just helped show that you don't need to go to Oxford to have an amazing experience and top class education.

All I can say is recognise that a lot of the candidates will have great academics and want it just as much as you, so not getting in isn't a reflection of your ability, but the strength of the talent pool as a whole.

Good Luck though :h:
Reply 8
I would just bear in mind that every single person applying has the three As (or will have). And three times more people apply than there are places. So it is twice as likely that you won't get in than that you will. That said, I always assumed I wouldn't get in. I genuinely hadn't considered that they might take me :p:
Sorry to ask a random question here, but does anyone know how much emphasis Oxford place on AS grades, as oppose to A2 predictions and GCSEs? :smile:
Reply 10
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with having a goal and being dedicated to it. If you do get rejected, then after that you can become really bitter realize that there are plenty of great universities out there.
Original post by DrMeredithGrey
Sorry to ask a random question here, but does anyone know how much emphasis Oxford place on AS grades, as oppose to A2 predictions and GCSEs? :smile:

Possibly it varies from subject to subject. But common sense suggests not a great deal, because they don't have an equivalent to Cambridge's SAQ, unless the AS grades are so bad as to falsify the AAA+ prediction, since not all candidates have to declare them. I suppose if you have really good AS grades and get your UMS mentioned in your reference that would be something in your favour.
Well when I went for my Cambridge interviews I just kept this idea in my mind. The interviews aren't there to find the students with the best chance of attaining the entry grades, they're there to find the people with the 'Oxbridge' mindset. I.e. they'll enjoy or at least cope with the workload and strain of working there. I'm typically quite lazy in my work, because I don't see the point in doing it so long as I understand it all, and then I just apply myself for the exams and surprise all the teachers. So I knew that I wasn't really the ideal Cambridge student, even though I was (intellectually) on a par with them, and probably exceeded a few academically.

Just keep it in mind that whether they pick you or not then that's the best outcome for you, since if they turn you down it's probably because they don't think you could handle the workload (even if you could handle the learning material).
Stay off TSR.
Reply 14
Original post by Architecture-er
Well when I went for my Cambridge interviews I just kept this idea in my mind. The interviews aren't there to find the students with the best chance of attaining the entry grades, they're there to find the people with the 'Oxbridge' mindset. I.e. they'll enjoy or at least cope with the workload and strain of working there. I'm typically quite lazy in my work, because I don't see the point in doing it so long as I understand it all, and then I just apply myself for the exams and surprise all the teachers. So I knew that I wasn't really the ideal Cambridge student, even though I was (intellectually) on a par with them, and probably exceeded a few academically.

Just keep it in mind that whether they pick you or not then that's the best outcome for you, since if they turn you down it's probably because they don't think you could handle the workload (even if you could handle the learning material).

Thank you - I think that's actually one of the best answers on here. It's a good way to keep it in perspective; to remember that.
Don't just think "oh my second choice is really good too"; actually work out what's better about it. I did this for Durham and St Andrews, and then by the time I got my Oxford offer, I was actually slightly disappointed that I wouldn't be able to take three languages :lol:
Original post by adieu
Thank you - I think that's actually one of the best answers on here. It's a good way to keep it in perspective; to remember that.

You're welcome :smile:

Good luck with your applications, in any case!
(edited 12 years ago)
Become obsessed with another choice as well, by the time I came to firming I had already fallen in love with another course and was almost disappointed not to take my first choice :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by North Irelandman
Become obsessed with another choice as well, by the time I came to firming I had already fallen in love with another course and was almost disappointed not to take my first choice :tongue:

This! I went to a few sample lectures at UCL, spent a bit of time on the campus, researched the course a lot, and fell in love with there. Of course, if I hadn't gotten into either it would have been a bit devestating, but fortunately I got into both and had a difficult decision on my hands xD
Original post by adieu

My sister went to Oxford Uni and I got an offer from them but since rejected them as my sister forewarned me that she absolutely hated it for the reason she believed she didn't experience "University Life" properly.

I think by this she meant that the restrictions placed on her (aka absolutist suggestions) regarding her social life and her work life.

She did come out with a 1st though and is now a lawyer, although she did her masters at Uni of Nottingham because she disliked the town and Uni itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending