The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jester94

I know, how naive of me (but yes, the oral went fairly well I think, thank you)

Well thats good! :smile:

Or the ability to debate like a normal human being.

True.
Having thought about this more I've decided that lesbians should be able to adopt boys and vice versa but a condition should be that they can give them a role model of the same gender. A family member willing to be actively involved. Taking them to the football on a weekend or something like that.
Original post by green.tea
Having thought about this more I've decided that lesbians should be able to adopt boys and vice versa but a condition should be that they can give them a role model of the same gender. A family member willing to be actively involved. Taking them to the football on a weekend or something like that.

Out of curiosity why must it be a family member? What about family friends? Or religious or community leaders?
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Out of curiosity why must it be a family member? What about family friends? Or religious or community leaders?

Someone close enough to make a commitment. So it'd have to be a very close friend. Not like scouts or something with a big group tho.
Someone close enough to make a commitment. So it'd have to be a very close friend. Not like scouts or something with a big group tho.

Ok but why? There are heterosexual couple's where one parent is rarely present due to work or other things...do you think that those couple's wishing to adopt should have to prove that they can provide a 'substitute'?
Ok but why? There are heterosexual couple's where one parent is rarely present due to work or other things...do you think that those couple's wishing to adopt should have to prove that they can provide a 'substitute'?

I think any people wanting to adopt should, and probably do have to be able to show that they can spend a reasonable amount of time with the child. If they cant I don't think they should be able to adopt at all.
I think any people wanting to adopt should, and probably do have to be able to show that they can spend a reasonable amount of time with the child. If they cant I don't think they should be able to adopt at all.

That's irrelevant. I asked would you say the same for a heterosexual couple who the father travels consistently for work? Because I am almost 100% positive that such a couple can in fact adopt.
Although then theres boarding schools..

Although why would anyone wanna adopt just t send the kid off to a boarding school?

Anyway allowing that without my role model idea and the smoking ban would mean more disadvantaged kids got to good schools.
That's irrelevant. I asked would you say the same for a heterosexual couple who the father travels consistently for work? Because I am almost 100% positive that such a couple can in fact adopt.

Well if the fathers always away I dont think they should be able to adopt any more than a single woman could.

Bording school tho since they probably have £
(edited 11 years ago)
Well if the fathers always away I dont think they should be able to adopt.

Your positions make absolutely no sense. You say that a homosexual couple which according to you has no father should be required to find a 'substitute' essentially but a heterosexual couple where the father will be busy providing for his family and the adoptive child shouldn't be allowed to adopt at all? I think I'm going to just stop with you now. Nothing you say is at all consistant not to mention you refuse to accept anyone's opinion except your own, despite evidence that myself and other's have provided that contradict your opinions. So...until you are ready to reasonably debate and examine sources as others have so courteously done with you, we are done :smile:
Your positions make absolutely no sense. You say that a homosexual couple which according to you has no father should be required to find a 'substitute' essentially but a heterosexual couple where the father will be busy providing for his family and the adoptive child shouldn't be allowed to adopt at all? I think I'm going to just stop with you now. Nothing you say is at all consistant not to mention you refuse to accept anyone's opinion except your own, despite evidence that myself and other's have provided that contradict your opinions. So...until you are ready to reasonably debate and examine sources as others have so courteously done with you, we are done :smile:

I don't need to examine articles about what great male role models women make.

If both the couple dont ant the child enough to make time they dont care enough.

My position is a reasonable one.

And the reason im not consistent is that i struggle to become entrenched in viewpoints. You should try it. I reckon if what you think about a complex issue after thinking about it for 5 mins is the same as what you think after an hour your either a genius or an idiot.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't need to examine articles about what great male role models women make.

And why not? Why do we have to look at your ridiculous 'sources' that don't even show what you think they do yet you can't show the same courtesy to read the evidence we provide? You are a moron and need to learn how debate works.

My position is a reasonable one.

Based on what? Not the evidence seeing as you refuse to even look at it.

And the reason im not consistent is that i struggle to become entrenched in viewpoints. You should try it. I reckon if what you think about a complex issue after thinking about it for 5 mins is the same as what you think after an hour your either a genius or an idiot.

I don't post on something that is complex after thinking for only 5 minutes. In fact I wouldn't post unless I had done some basic research and had a basic understanding of what is involved in the subject, so I can back my opinion with real facts. But I guess you can't do that. I don't develop an opinion on something so quickly without actually knowing the facts on it.
And why not? Why do we have to look at your ridiculous 'sources' that don't even show what you think they do yet you can't show the same courtesy to read the evidence we provide? You are a moron and need to learn how debate works.

Because its *******s. Males choose male role models. You'd do well to stop resting your position on that.

Based on what? Not the evidence seeing as you refuse to even look at it.

It put the childs needs first while being as fair as is possible to couples.

I don't post on something that is complex after thinking for only 5 minutes. In fact I wouldn't post unless I had done some basic research and had a basic understanding of what is involved in the subject, so I can back my opinion with real facts. But I guess you can't do that. I don't develop an opinion on something so quickly without actually knowing the facts on it.

Women make good male role models is a fact is it? Backed up by all those kids with victoria beckhams surname on their football shirts I take it?
Reply 633

Although why would anyone wanna adopt just t send the kid off to a boarding school?

I'm not a big fan of boarding schools in general, but they don't in themselves stop the parents from giving their children love and affection, and those children would still have a better education and probably life overall than if they had stayed in the foster care system.
Original post by MrCarmady
I'm not a big fan of boarding schools in general, but they don't in themselves stop the parents from giving their children love and affection, and those children would still have a better education and probably life overall than if they had stayed in the foster care system.

Yeah. Thats why I say relax some of the criteria to encourage it.
Because its *******s. Males choose male role models. You'd do well to stop resting your position on that.

A male will pick what it sees as someone it wants to be like as a role model, regardless of their sex. Shows how much you know about this. :rolleyes: You should really learn more about role models.

It put the childs needs first while being as fair as is possible to couples.

You aren't putting any needs first. You are trying to stop loving and qualified families from adopting. Or put unnecessary qualifications on same sex couples. Children get role models from mainly outside the family and their parents. Also if you had read some of the sources I provided you would understand that same sex couples go out of their way to find good role models if they can't fulfill the role as needed.

Women make good male role models is a fact is it? Backed up by all those kids with victoria beckhams surname on their football shirts I take it?

Seeing as woman and man are gender roles, and those are subjective, yes a woman can teach a child to be a man. A woman could be just as good a role model as a man. Your argument is weak at best.

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx

http://people.virginia.edu/~cjp/articles/ffp10b.pdf

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/109/2/339.full

Pleas actually read these. That is how debate works and its just common courtesy. Otherwise don't bother posting as you are just being willingly ignorant.
same sex couples go out of their way to find good role models if they can't fulfill the role as needed.

Well, thats good and im sure a very very high proportion do that. Other aspects of good parenting are in the criteria and my position is that that should be too.

Im not reading pages and pages.

My view on boys picking male role models is based on my whole life experience of myself and others. I dont expect that to change your view, but its harder evidence to me and my way of thinking than any link you could post. Call me a moron all you want but id just like to point out that far more great influential thought is based on the personal observation and thought that you dismiss as ignorant and moronic than the particular mode of research that you hold in such high regard.

My observation on this issue is that male role models are required for healthy upbringing of males and the only tme anyone says otherwise is when accusations of homophobia are flying about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why not I've got 2 friends (they are sisters but not twins they have 3 year diffrence) who has got lesbion mums. one of my friends is perfectly srtait and the other is bi so I don't think that it will influence the child if he or she is raised by a couple of the same gender
Original post by luckylilly
Why not I've got 2 friends (they are sisters but not twins they have 3 year diffrence) who has got lesbion mums. one of my friends is perfectly srtait and the other is bi so I don't think that it will influence the child if he or she is raised by a couple of the same gender

They have female role models. Im talkng about boys in that situation.
That's the thing they don't have a male romodole

Latest

Trending

Trending