The Student Room Group

WJEC C2 Mathematics 18/05/12

How did everyone find today's C2 paper?

I thought it was pretty standard, but I missed out on 3b and 8b. It's so obvious what to have done now, now I'm out of the exam; really annoying. Can still get 68/75 (91-93 UMS) if all my other questions were right though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thought it was quite nice.

Did everyone get 73\sqrt{73} for 8b?
what did you guys get for the ambiguous angles question?!sat there trying to figure it out for 20 minutes O.O
pretty nice paper though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Perpetuallity
Thought it was quite nice.

Did everyone get 73\sqrt{73} for 8b?

8b? is that the second part of the circles question?
sorry, and i may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer was Sqrt49, therefore 7! :/
Reply 4
What did people think about the first part of the Geometric Progression question? Think it was 5a! no one in my class i spoke to could do it!
Original post by mattymorse
8b? is that the second part of the circles question?
sorry, and i may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer was Sqrt49, therefore 7! :/

It was Pythag, I think.

Length of radius = 232 \sqrt{3} and distance between center of circle and T = 61\sqrt{61}

Then the length of RT = 73\sqrt{73} using a2=b2+c2a^2 = b^2 +c^2.

Edit: Should be 7, I drew my diagram incorrectly
(edited 11 years ago)
What did people think about the first part of the Geometric Progression question? Think it was 5a! no one in my class i spoke to could do it!

Rearrange the first equation to make aa the subject, then substitute this into the second equation. It comes out nicely, and r=13r=-\frac{1}{3} (If I remember correctly).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
It went awfully for me, sadly! :frown: I learnt everything, but as soon as I got into the exam room I forgot practically everything but logs... :frown:
Original post by Coffee_Please
what did you guys get for the ambiguous angles question?!sat there trying to figure it out for 20 minutes O.O
pretty nice paper though :smile:

Can't remember my exact angles but have to use SinAa=SinBb=SinCc\frac{SinA}{a} = \frac{SinB}{b} = \frac{SinC}{c} to find angle Z. Use the CAST method to get two answers. Then Angle X is 18019Z1180-19-Z_1 or Angle X is 18019Z2180-19-Z_2 where Z1,Z2Z_1 ,Z_2 are the two different angles you found for Z.
Reply 9
It was Pythag, I think.

Length of radius = 232 \sqrt{3} and distance between center of circle and T = 61\sqrt{61}

I also got an answer of 7 for this question
Original post by RoundNRound
I also got an answer of 7 for this question

Can you share you're method please?

Edit: I see what you did. 6112=7\sqrt{61 - 12}=7. Yes, that's it :smile: I drew my diagram wrongly.
(edited 11 years ago)

Edit: I see what you did. 6112=7\sqrt{61 - 12}=7. Yes, that's it :smile: I drew my diagram wrongly.

I actually made it way too complicated for myself and eventually used the sine rule to get the answer, it was so long winded i can't remember what i actually did lol
Reply 12
Rearrange the first equation to make aa the subject, then substitute this into the second equation. It comes out nicely, and r=13r=-\frac{1}{3} (If I remember correctly).

Damn! Thought it might have been substitution, though I tried it and it didnt come out! Only question I know I definitely got wrong! Pretty confident for 90+ ums

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13

Yeah this is the method I used :smile:

Damn! Thought it might have been substitution, though I tried it and it didnt come out! Only question I know I definitely got wrong! Pretty confident for 90+ ums

I know I've lost at least one mark for that 73\sqrt{73} blunder. Hopefully I'll get ecf or something. Everything else seemed fine.
what did everyone get for the integration question (graph)??
Reply 16
Original post by Jessica-May
what did everyone get for the integration question (graph)??

I don't have the question paper with me so this will be vague, but I integrated the straight line with limits 0-4 and then added on to it the quadratic with limits 4-6. Can't remember my answer though.
Original post by Astonix
I don't have the question paper with me so this will be vague, but I integrated the straight line with limits 0-4 and then added on to it the quadratic with limits 4-6. Can't remember my answer though.

I minus them :/ but will hopefully get ecf marks :frown: :mad:
Reply 18
It was Pythag, I think.

Edit: Should be 7, I drew my diagram incorrectly

Ha awww did the same as you.
So many bits I waffled about, random number. Especially that Sine and Cosine rule question on that annoying XYZ. :angry:. Overall I think I could have done better. Not as nice as C1 though. Also how did you form an equation to satisfy x in that triangle question?

Quick Reply