The Student Room Group

Why is it fair for people with money to get a better education than me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
I do A levels and I'm on track for AAB so don't assume anything. It doesn't matter what you say, evidence shows if I went to a private school my grades would be much better.

Only if you put in the extra work as well. What do you think, that just attending a private school immediately makes your grades 1 or 2 grades higher? No. They know how to get the best out of their students and how to encourage them to put in the extra work outside of school.
Reply 201
I do A levels and I'm on track for AAB so don't assume anything. It doesn't matter what you say, evidence shows if I went to a private school my grades would be much better.

I'm sorry, but just to clarify, did you start this thread to have a debate or to be reassured that it is not your fault that you get the grades you do?
If you do believe that you have the potential to do much better, then work to reach your max potential. Maybe you would have to study half an hour more per evening than private school students, but if you think that you have the potential to do better and you do have the brains and patience to sit down and study as much as private school students do, I don't see what is stopping you from doing so.
You gave us some evidence about the RESULTS of private school students and state school students, but you don't seem to care about what it is that makes these better grades so you can improve your own grades, instead you prefer claiming that just going to a private school would be enough for you to do better, which is not really helping the situation is it? You suggest that all people should attend state schools, which is impossible to happen as they are convinient for the government too, the thing is, I believe it is the way private school students think and work that makes the difference not so much the quality of the teacher. I used to have a terrible maths teacher and had to study more than other people in my year, didn't stop me from getting an A* though.

You get what you work for, it's as simple as that.
Original post by alkyone
I'm sorry, but just to clarify, did you start this thread to have a debate or to be reassured that it is not your fault that you get the grades you do?
If you do believe that you have the potential to do much better, then work to reach your max potential. Maybe you would have to study half an hour more per evening than private school students, but if you think that you have the potential to do better and you do have the brains and patience to sit down and study as much as private school students do, I don't see what is stopping you from doing so.
You gave us some evidence about the RESULTS of private school students and state school students, but you don't seem to care about what it is that makes these better grades so you can improve your own grades, instead you prefer claiming that just going to a private school would be enough for you to do better, which is not really helping the situation is it? You suggest that all people should attend state schools, which is impossible to happen as they are convinient for the government too, the thing is, I believe it is the way private school students think and work that makes the difference not so much the quality of the teacher. I used to have a terrible maths teacher and had to study more than other people in my year, didn't stop me from getting an A* though.

You get what you work for, it's as simple as that.

I've already done my GCSEs and am working as hard as I can for AS.

Perhaps at post #205 has said, if I went to a private school they would have gotten the best and I would have ended up higher. Evidence shows this is true. I am happy with my GCSEs, although I know I probably would have done better if I went to a private school and that's the bottom line.

No, it doesn't. That is awful comprehension.
Reply 204
Original post by Alexander94
I went to a state school, I was ridiculously intelligent when I went in, I sat entrance exams for local private schools and got pretty hefty scholarships but couldn't afford even the uniform. I was left to my own devices throughout my time there. They figured I would get my 5 GCSE's and make up 0.1% of the 37% that get them there, they didn't need to get me the 10 A*'s that I wanted. I got bored. And my results suffered. The problem in my opinion with the comprehensive system is that no one thinks "hang on, this school has an intake of clever kids, why aren't they coming out with high results?", the rankings system doesn't challenge them.

I wish I could have afforded to get into private school but I couldn't. I had to make the best of it, and sure I got in shed loads of trouble for ignoring my teachers and doing my own work, but I did it, and I got mediocre results (for me).

This post exemplifies why we need the grammar school system back - nationwide.

I'm yet to here a convincing argument against them; in terms of social mobility they're fantastic, which makes me wonder why it's people on the left that often oppose them.
It doesn't matter what you say, evidence shows if I went to a private school my grades would be much better.

If you are just going to say that every time somebody makes a statement against you, why the hell did you open this bloody DISCUSSION thread, because it seems you already know the answer. I never assumed anything, i am just saying, that you shouldn't go blaming state schools, you have the same chance of getting an A* in a state school as you do in a Private school. It is ultimately down to pupils, in Private Schools, the pupils are often mature and will study/do homework, very opposite to most students in state schools. That is down to students, not the school. Why do i say this? I have seen it all and still am seeing it.

I go to a state school, and i am getting A's and A*'s. Why? Because i don't allow others to distract me, i get on with the work, and i will study independently at home. Some other pupils however are down on the B's, C's, and D's. They get spoon fed the information and expect top grades, but don't get them because they don't put the effort in. It is possible to get high grades in state schools, so the fact that there are "significantly" better grades in private schools is out of the question.

If you could get an A* in a Private school, then you could get one in a state school, and vice versa.

As alkyone said, "If you do believe that you have the potential to do much better, then work to reach your max potential. You get what you work for, it's as simple as that."

Again, i shall say it, you made this thread as a DISCUSSION, it is irritating when you are replying "The facts say this...". That is not a discussion.
Original post by _Morsey_
If you are just going to say that every time somebody makes a statement against you, why the hell did you open this bloody DISCUSSION thread, because it seems you already know the answer. I never assumed anything, i am just saying, that you shouldn't go blaming state schools, you have the same chance of getting an A* in a state school as you do in a Private school. It is ultimately down to pupils, in Private Schools, the pupils are often mature and will study/do homework, very opposite to most students in state schools. That is down to students, not the school. Why do i say this? I have seen it all and still am seeing it.

I go to a state school, and i am getting A's and A*'s. Why? Because i don't allow others to distract me, i get on with the work, and i will study independently at home. Some other pupils however are down on the B's, C's, and D's. They get spoon fed the information and expect top grades, but don't get them because they don't put the effort in. It is possible to get high grades in state schools, so the fact that there are "significantly" better grades in private schools is out of the question.

If you could get an A* in a Private school, then you could get one in a state school, and vice versa.

As alkyone said, "If you do believe that you have the potential to do much better, then work to reach your max potential. You get what you work for, it's as simple as that."

Again, i shall say it, you made this thread as a DISCUSSION, it is irritating when you are replying "The facts say this...". That is not a discussion.

But the facts do. And people can't really argue with them.

I started this thread being on the fence, but really there's not an actual argument against them as Finlands got rid of them and they now have one of the best education systems in world according to a previous user so there's no reason why we can't copy them.
Personally i think it has nothing to do with teaching ,I've been to both state and private school ,and the only difference is that ,there are less people in classes ,so teachers tend to focus on the students better ,they have more time to improve the weaker students and find out the areas in which they struggle .
1) GCSEs don't really matter. I got Ds for some subjects and still made it into Oxbridge.
2) It's not fair, and probably the biggest scandal in this country today. However unless England reverts to a grammer school system, this will persist.
3) I'm pretty certain its just below half. The most interesting part of this, is that if you then split up the state schools into grammar and comprehensive, even though most of England no longer has grammar schools, there are more kids from grammar schools at Oxbridge than from comprehensives.
Original post by _Morsey_
If you could get an A* in a Private school, then you could get one in a state school.

you sensibly feel that schooling doesn't bear on academic performance?

My strong suspicion is that it's a lot easier to get an A* if studying in an ordered class of 12 with a teacher who went to a Redbrick than in a disorderly class of 30 with a teacher who went to college.

The private schools think this as well, it is how they advertise themselves.
Reply 210
I've already done my GCSEs and am working as hard as I can for AS.

Perhaps at post #205 has said, if I went to a private school they would have gotten the best and I would have ended up higher. Evidence shows this is true. I am happy with my GCSEs, although I know I probably would have done better if I went to a private school and that's the bottom line.

I'm sorry but I don't agree... If you can get 4As at AS level in a private school, you can do it in a state school too, perhaps it will take more time for you to do so. What I don't understand really is how state school students would benefit from closing down all private schools. Instead of being in a class with 20 students, you would find yourself in a class with 25 students, making it even more difficult for you to cope and people who have the ability and determination to study more and can appreciate the education they receive would still get the better grades. What private school has done for me basically is taught me HOW to study instead of spoon-feeding me to achieve the grades I wanted. I do see your point about how private school students are advantaged, but I believe it is more up to you and that there would be more problems created than solved if private schools did not exist
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

I'm just wondering, so discuss.

Oh, and I don't think there are welsh private schools are there?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
50% of Oxbridge undergrads are from private schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

1. There are welsh private schools

2. Most private schools are not nearly as good as the best state schools. My niece and nephews have all had eye wateringly expensive private education and my children have all done much better than them ( state school)

3. You can get into the top universities - they go on A level grades. If you are passionate about a subject and really go about your UCAS application in a measured way - you will be considered for any college and I mean Oxbridge too.

4. In France state education is on the whole much better - the league tables here have done much to split people on opinions of school to the greater detriment
Reply 212
One more thing, whether your school is good or not is determined by the results of the students at the end of the year. If your school is not good enough to offer you the standard of education you hoped for, it can be proven by these results, mentioned in your reference and voila, you get a lower offer than someone who goes to a very good private school. Universities do consider how good your school is.
i wrote... LOADS here.... then accidentally pressed the.. wrong thing and deleted it all :'(

i went to state school got 3B's 6C's neither here nor there but ok considering personal problems at the time... but... 3 people in my class (set 2 for everything.. i like to be consistent!) got all A's! i dont remember between A's and A*'s so they could have even been better...and there was still a set higher... my sister is at the same school predicted A's for everything... a family friend... went to private school highest GCSE she got was a C most were D's and some E's, she stayed at another private school for A levels she failed all her As levels including the language from where her dads from (i cant remember where.. but if he's french she failed french..) ... and a girl in my sociology group (remember learning this in the education module!!) went to the special measures school (Special Measures is a term used in England and Wales to describe schools that are failing to deliver satisfactory teaching, where students are not actively learning and the management team and head teacher do not have the capability or competence to implement measures that will ensure the school improves standards of teaching and learning. This status, special measures, is given by Ofsted.) and she came out with all A's

essentially its about the individual the amount of work they are willing to put in, and what sacrifices they are willing to make.. like my sister was placed next to her friend in science her friend is a bit disruptive and just keeps talking so my sister went to see the teacher and asked to be moved away from her i dont imagine many kids ask to be moved away from their friends...
educational success is as much about home life than it is school.. doing home work/revision support from parents... partly why those who go to private school do better generally isnt because of the school its because their parents are generally higher educated they are wealthier they can afford tuition if its needed, or resources one always used was having a computer at home we got our computer when i first started high school but not everyone had one then kind of a redundant one now though i think...
x
Hmm, well I don't go to a private school, but I have worked my socks off and I am (hopefully) on track for getting 10A*s, 2As and a B, in my GCSEs. I got to a state school, though a grammar one. The average GCSE grades in my school are around 8A*s and 2As.

People that I know who are privately educated are also working just as hard to achieve the same grades. But I agree, it is slightly easier for them, as they have for guidance etc. However I know a few people from private schools who are looking at Cs and Ds for GCSE.

I think people that put in the effort get the grades they deserve (:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hmm, well I don't go to a private school, but I have worked my socks off and I am (hopefully) on track for getting 10A*s, 2As and a B, in my GCSEs. I got to a state school, though a grammar one. The average GCSE grades in my school are around 8A*s and 2As.

People that I know who are privately educated are also working just as hard to achieve the same grades. But I agree, it is slightly easier for them, as they have for guidance etc. However I know a few people from private schools who are looking at Cs and Ds for GCSE.

I think people that put in the effort get the grades they deserve (:

What school do you go to? Obviously you go to one of the best state schools if what you say is correct.
The argument for abolishing private schools is that the standard of state schools would increase. The belief is that the pushy rich parents would then demand a higher standard of education in state schools when currently parents accept lower standards.

I went to a grammar school. As grammars are now few and far between (except in Kent) they have been taken over by rich pushy parents. Grammars do not compensate for family background completely but there is some positive effect. You are with people whose parents encourage hard work so there tends to be less disruption in lessons. It is easier to attract good teachers - and good teachers communicate a love for study and the subject. Pupils also pick up information from their peers about what is needed for university entrance. It's easier to get good work experience because employers expect students to be well behaved and parents have contacts....

No reason why some of this couldn't happen in other state schools but it is undoubtably harder to achieve from a poor state school than from a private school. Universities allow for this to some extent but some do screen on the basis of GSCEs - and Oxford is one of them. Poor GSCEs and Cambridge is a better choice, they place more value on AS results.

There are many opportunities to achieve now. Those who feel their school has failed them can take a job, take evening classes (where students are often well motivated and well behaved) and either go to university later or study with the well regarded open university.
I go to a state school, (pretty crappy one tbh) the average GCSE grades were C, D and E's. I got 5 A* and 2A and 1B. I worked really hard so that's why I got the better grades. But, I know in our school we are limited in resources, so our GCSE options were rubbish..we were pushed to take ****ty key skills options and BTECs aswell. Sometimes I wish I could have gone to a private school, but then I have shown that I can excel in a hard environment so it will pay off in the end I guess...in life you won't be able to use your wealth to pay for advantages in the workplace compared to in education.
Reply 218
it's not fair, such is the public school system.
Reply 219

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
50% of Oxbridge undergrads are from private schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

But then 50% aren't...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending