The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quite simply, the older and more 'traditional' unis have the most rahs. Hence,

Oxbidge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds.
Reply 41
Original post by Lewroll
Bloody hell. Surely they arent really like that. If that guy went to my school, he would be stabbed. I dont know how long i could put up with people like that. 'Chundered', 'lash' wtf

You've never hard of lash? We (where I live) say we're "going to get lashed", or "a bit of pre-lash" if we're drinking before we go out, that kind of thing. :biggrin:

OP, does it matter? "Rahs" aren't actually that bad. Then again, according to people on here (:rolleyes:), I am one, so :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by .Ali.
You've never hard of lash? We (where I live) say we're "going to get lashed", or "a bit of pre-lash" if we're drinking before we go out, that kind of thing. :biggrin:

OP, does it matter? "Rahs" aren't actually that bad. Then again, according to people on here (:rolleyes:), I am one, so :dontknow:

Oh my god. People actually say that. I thought the guy in the vid was just being a dick (no offence). I am slightly regretting applying to durham and edinburgh now, i should have just stayed in london:frown:

Please tell me you dont say chundered as well?
Reply 43
Original post by Lewroll
Oh my god. People actually say that. I thought the guy in the vid was just being a dick (no offence). I am slightly regretting applying to durham and edinburgh now, i should have just stayed in london:frown:

Haha none taken. :tongue:

And no, I don't say chundered. Myself and my friends say "banter" and variations of it like "banterbury" though lol. :tongue:
Original post by tehsponge
Is Bath full of rahs? D:

I live there. Not really. But there seems to be an obvious divide between 'working class' and 'middle class' and there are a lot of yummy-mummy boutiquey type shops here.
Reply 45
can I just ask... what do you actually mean by 'most rah/posh university' ?

are you going by the amount of private school students at each university or are you going by the amount of people who seem to act like stuck up snobs? Because I can assure you, the two don't always intersect. Not all private school students are stuck up snobs or 'rahs' as they seem to be called her, just like not all state school students are idiots or poor... so this seems like a slight generalisation...

however, if im wrong, or ive misinterpreted what this thread is actually about, please do correct me, as im not trying to offend anybody!
Reply 46
Original post by .Ali.

I haven't stated my stance on Rahs, so don't imply I find them a bad thing. It's like that thread asking what university is the ugliest. It doesn't really matter but just a bit of miscellaneous fun.

And anyways, I don't mind Rahs. Heck, I'm partial to a bit of Jack Wills.
Reply 47
Original post by lusu2002
I studied at newcastle a few years ago. It is VERY RAH. Apparently 2/3 from public school and princess eugenie goes there for gods sake! But don't let that put u off, the best place to go to uni in my opinion.

Most recent statistics are that only 30% went to a private school.
St Andrews or Durham - the places that are simply so boring and useless you have to have money to have fun!
Reply 49
Original post by yahyahyahs
I haven't stated my stance on Rahs, so don't imply I find them a bad thing. It's like that thread asking what university is the ugliest. It doesn't really matter but just a bit of miscellaneous fun.

And anyways, I don't mind Rahs. Heck, I'm partial to a bit of Jack Wills.

Fair enough then. :smile: Sorry, I'm used to 'rah-bashers' on here!
Original post by .Ali.
Haha none taken. :tongue:

And no, I don't say chundered. Myself and my friends say "banter" and variations of it like "banterbury" though lol. :tongue:

Jesus christ. *note to self- never leave London*
Reply 51
Original post by Lewroll
Jesus christ. *note to self- never leave London*

Lol why is it so bad?! It's just a bit of banter. :teehee:
So what about between Oxford and Cambridge?
Notts is quite posh/rah from my experience so far. In my block of 15, only 3 of us didn't go to a fee paying or grammar school, I couldn't believe it at first! To be fair I live in Cripps Hall, which has a reputation for being the posh one...
Imperial College Union is the only students union that publicly SUPPORTS the increase in tuition fees.

I think we win.
Original post by yahyahyahs
I was just looking through some old threads and the usual suspects turn up, but I wanted to know what others thought. Of course Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Exeter were mentioned quite a lot in those threads, and for some reason, Nottingham appeared every now and then. Also, I was reading an old Times article that said that Newcastle was the new place to be, saying it was the alternative if your children (it was directed at middle/upper class parents) get that anorexic letter telling them they wouldn't be getting into their first choice, or any, college.

Barring Oxford and Cambridge, probably Durham or St. Andrews.

There are times when I walk through Durham city centre and hear nothing but posh, Southern accents. Newcastle is now also very rah apparently, but it's a really big city so perhaps less noticeable. With Durham being very small, it's much more noticeable. All Durham students look the same to me. Flip flops, tracksuit bottoms with the printing of whatever sports team they're in, Hollister top, gilet jacket and the same hair style.

Nothing wrong with them, they're all very polite, I get quite a few in at work. Most of the girls are stunning as well.
Original post by oscarwildelike
St Andrews or Durham - the places that are simply so boring and useless you have to have money to have fun!

Have you ever been to Durham?

I've lived there for 20 years and believe me, it's not boring. There's plenty to do! I suppose in comparison to living in a huge city centre it would be relatively boring, but still...
Reply 57
Original post by Lewroll

I've never heard chundered in real life, pretty sure thats made up, but everyone (in London and around the country) uses lash and pre-lash.
Original post by jklmn
I've never heard chundered in real life, pretty sure thats made up, but everyone (in London and around the country) uses lash and pre-lash.

I live in London and I have never heard that phrase before today.
Reply 59
Original post by T-o dore
Thats a pretty big leap of logic to say from just living in Notts and Cambridge. What about Exeter, Ox brookes, st. Andrews, Imperial, Durham etc?

Edit: anyway, 'Rah' isn't the same as being posh, in my opinion. Rah is about Jack Wills, branded clothing, and showing off money and being loud, obnoxious, with an annoying laugh - you have to be a snob to be rah, but not all posh people are snobs.

You have a point there. Joanna Lumley is posh, but definitely not a rah.

I'd have to flip a coin to decide which university is most rah between Oxford and Cambridge tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending