The Student Room Group

Economics at City University London - ask a question!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Would AABB from 4 A2's be accepted as well as AAA from 3?
Original post by V10
Would AABB from 4 A2's be accepted as well as AAA from 3?

Hi - thanks for your question.

I have checked with our admissions team, and they say we're not planning to make any offers other than AAA at A-level for 2012 entry. However, the fact you are taking four A-levels will definitely be a contributory factor when making a decision on your application.

I hope this is helpful. Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards.
Reply 62
Why are city putting up their requirements to AAA when universities like queen mary (which is definately better) than city saying AAB?
How much maths is involved in an Economics degree primarily the BA one
Reply 64
Hello,

I am doing the IB diploma and i wanted to know if Cass business school would accept a student with more than 35 points, but only 665 in the HL subjects...

In city university, is it harder to get in the bsc economics, or the bsc in economics and accountacy.

Is it possible, when studying econ in city uni. to then transfer during the first year, or in the second year to cass business school?

My final question would be: is it badly seen by cass business school or city to apply to a course in both?

Thank you very much,
Edouard Lalandre
Original post by LifeIsMyReligion
How much maths is involved in an Economics degree primarily the BA one

Hi, and thanks for your question.

I've checked with the BSc Economics course director, and he says the following:

"The short answer is ‘lots’! In the BSc programmes, students spend half of their time during their first year on mathematical and statistical modules, and half on economics modules. Students with GCSE (Grade B is required) will be taken up to the equivalent of A level in Maths and all the economics modules in the 2nd and 3rd years will assume this level of expertise.

Students who have A level Maths will receive training in further mathematical techniques relevant for economics. A small number of 2nd and 3rd year modules will require this additional mathematical training.

In the 2nd year all students must take Introductory Econometrics and in Part 3 Applied Econometrics. BSc Economics students must also complete a project in the 3rd year which counts for two modules and which in almost all cases will consist of an empirical econometric study."

I hope this answer is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more questions.
Kind regards.
Original post by Riz10
Why are city putting up their requirements to AAA when universities like queen mary (which is definately better) than city saying AAB?

In reply, City is committed to strengthening its position as a global University, and we're doing a number of things as part of that. One is recruiting outstanding academic staff (you can read about that here), and another is increasing our entry requirements to AAA to attract some of the best students in the UK and internationally.

Already two-thirds of our 2011 entrants (this year's new students) have AAB at A-level, so we're already attracting great students onto Economics degrees at City.

And we're going places too - this is the first year we've entered the Times Higher Education 'table of tables' of Top 30 universities in UK. (You'll see Queen Mary isn't in the Top 30 - although, as we've said in reply to other posts, league tables only tell part of the story, and of course we acknowledge QM is a great university..!)

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards.
Reply 67
Hello,

I am doing the IB diploma and i wanted to know if Cass business school would accept a student with more than 35 points, but only 665 in the HL subjects...

In city university, is it harder to get in the bsc economics, or the bsc in economics and accountacy.

Is it possible, when studying econ in city uni. to then transfer during the first year, or in the second year to cass business school?

My final question would be: is it badly seen by cass business school or city to apply to a course in both?

Thank you very much,
Edouard Lalandre
Reply 68
hello I'm interested in international banking and finance but I'm applying with economics Personal statement at other unis. do you know if it's possible to get offfer or should I write banking only PS.
Original post by smoky188
hello I'm interested in international banking and finance but I'm applying with economics Personal statement at other unis. do you know if it's possible to get offfer or should I write banking only PS.

Hi Smoky188,

Thanks for your question. Just so we understand you correctly, are you asking if you should write a personal statement that focuses both on banking and economics if you're applying for both? Are you applying for both courses here at City?
Please let us know, and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.
Kind regards.
Original post by edouard12
Hello,

Thank you very much,
Edouard Lalandre

Hi Edouard,

We're checking your questions regarding Cass with the admissions team there, and we'll get back to you with their responses as soon as possible.

In the meantime, the entry requirements for the BSc Economics and BSc Economics and Accountancy are identical, so neither is harder to get into than the other!

Kind regards.
Reply 71
I plan to apply international banking at city but my 4 other uni choice are economics with my ps focused mainly on economics . Thanks
I plan to apply international banking at city but my 4 other uni choice are economics with my ps focused mainly on economics . Thanks

Ok, understood. I'll check with colleagues in Cass about how they'd perceive a mainly Economics-focused personal statement. Hope to hear back from them soon.
Best regards.
Original post by edouard12
Hello,

Thank you very much,
Edouard Lalandre

Hi again Edouard,

Ok, we heard back from Cass Business School regarding your other questions. Here is their reply:

"Any offer made would be on the basis of achieving a minimum of 35 points overall with 6 in all HL subjects and 5 in all SL subjects (some courses have a higher requirement). We cannot guarantee to accept an applicant achieving less than this.

Course transfers are granted at the course director's discretion and are dependent on the student's academic performance and available space on the course, so whilst in theory it may be possible to transfer, this is not guaranteed.

We are happy to accept applications from candidates applying to both Cass courses and other courses within the University."

I hope this is helpful. Do let us know if you have any other questions.
Best regards.
Original post by Cityunilondon
x.

Am I right in saying that the financial economics course at City no longer requires maths at A - level but just a B grade at GSCE?

Thank you
Original post by CityTrader
Am I right in saying that the financial economics course at City no longer requires maths at A - level but just a B grade at GSCE?

Thank you

Hi there,

No, the Maths A-level requirement still stands - see the course page (and click the 'Entry requirements' heading) for more information.

Our other 2 Economics degrees do not require A-level Maths...

Best regards.
I am predicted ABB with A in econ, B in math, B in physics.
I will most probably do AS in these as well(in year 13)- Computing, IFS finance course level 3 and further maths

GCSE maths- A(Did GCSE in 1 year)
Would I be able to get an offer for economics or Investment banking or some other econ/business related degree?

thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by soldiersixteen
I am predicted ABB with A in econ, B in math, B in physics.
I will most probably do AS in these as well(in year 13)- Computing, IFS finance course level 3 and further maths

GCSE maths- A(Did GCSE in 1 year)
Would I be able to get an offer for economics or Investment banking or some other econ/business related degree?

thanks

We would definitely consider your application in its entirety. However, please be aware that we do not make any offers below the entry requirements, so we would have to be confident you can achieve AAA at A-level in order for you to be made an offer.

If you have any further questions then please feel free to contact us, either via this forum or by emailing [email protected].

Kind regards.
Reply 78
May answer my question pls as I plan to send ucas off
May answer my question pls as I plan to send ucas off

Hi smoky188,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We've heard back from Cass, and they say the following:

"We understand that applicants may be applying for slightly different courses elsewhere, so it's not too much of a disadvantage [to have an Economics-focused personal statement].

If we were interested in the applicant then we may ask for a new personal statement focussing on Banking & International Finance, or they could email one directly to us ([email protected]) when they make their application through UCAS."

I hope this is helpful.
Best of luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending