The Student Room Group

What do you think of male nurses?

Scroll to see replies

Am glad you made this thread because I'm starting my Nursing degree this Sept and am male. Apart from the average worries of a nursing applicant, I have also worried about my gender and how it will affect my career as a nurse. At all my nursing interviews there has never been more than one other male applicant and I am worried that service users will pre-judge me as a pervert or something because I am a guy in a profession dominated by females. I was also a little disheartened by the nurse in "24 hours in A&E" who said to be a nurse practitioner in A&E you must always wear red lipstick.

However these comments have been encouraging, thanks peeps.
Original post by Flyteryder
x

Out of interest what area of nursing are looking at going into?

I fancy geriatrics and I have heard (from my tutor on my current H&SC course in a lesson) that a lot of elderly males, like elderly females; tend to prefer female nurses.
Reply 42
Original post by KingGoonIan
Am glad you made this thread because I'm starting my Nursing degree this Sept and am male. Apart from the average worries of a nursing applicant, I have also worried about my gender and how it will affect my career as a nurse. At all my nursing interviews there has never been more than one other male applicant and I am worried that service users will pre-judge me as a pervert or something because I am a guy in a profession dominated by females. I was also a little disheartened by the nurse in "24 hours in A&E" who said to be a nurse practitioner in A&E you must always wear red lipstick.

However these comments have been encouraging, thanks peeps.

Out of interest what area of nursing are looking at going into?

I fancy geriatrics and I have heard (from my tutor on my current H&SC course in a lesson) that a lot of elderly males, like elderly females; tend to prefer female nurses.

I'm starting my nursing degree this September too. Stupid question, but by the lipstick did that nurse mean you have to be a woman, or that guys have to wear red lipstick in A&E? :colondollar:

I fancy going into A&E because of all the different cases and the faster pace than other areas. I'm also worried about patients preferring female nurses, some people I've spoken to have told me they'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, which isn't very encouraging.
I'm starting my nursing degree this September too. Stupid question, but by the lipstick did that nurse mean you have to be a woman, or that guys have to wear red lipstick in A&E? :colondollar:

I fancy going into A&E because of all the different cases and the faster pace than other areas. I'm also worried about patients preferring female nurses, some people I've spoken to have told me they'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, which isn't very encouraging.

What are your firm and insurance?

I'd like to try A&E, I think most people will want to. No it's not encouraging, I've heard of scenarios where treatment from a male nurse has been refused, some of the scenarios are understandable though. As for the red lipstick I think she meant that you need to be female to be a good nurse.
Reply 44
What are your firm and insurance?

I'd like to try A&E, I think most people will want to. No it's not encouraging, I've heard of scenarios where treatment from a male nurse has been refused, some of the scenarios are understandable though. As for the red lipstick I think she meant that you need to be female to be a good nurse.

My firm is Brighton and my insurance is City University London, and you?

Ha good, I thought I was going to have to wear lipstick as part of a professional uniform for a moment!
My firm is Brighton and my insurance is City University London, and you?

Ha good, I thought I was going to have to wear lipstick as part of a professional uniform for a moment!

My firm is Surrey and my insurance is Northumbria

My mate is hoping to go to Brighton, good luck with your studies mate :smile:
Reply 46
My firm is Surrey and my insurance is Northumbria

My mate is hoping to go to Brighton, good luck with your studies mate :smile:

Thanks, you too :smile:
Gotta love a murse!
So long as they can do their job, surely it doesn't matter?
I think they are just as important in the hospital as any other doctor or nurse :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Inspired by the male primary school teacher thread. I'm a guy and I'm going to be a nurse; some people react horribly, saying things like 'That's a woman's job, 'I'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, it's not right'. What do you think of male nurses?

"You're a male nurse, bro"

In joke: no harm intended :biggrin:
There's nothing wrong with being a male nurse!
I work in a hospital and I.. rather like a male nurse haha.
Reply 51

I think she was just making a flippant comment, basically insinuating that it's her "trademark" if you like. Nobody's going to be forcing you to wear lipstick in A&E or any other ward! And it does, anecdotally, seem that there are more male nurses in A&E than on your average ward, so you'd not be quite so outnumbered.
I've got a friend who's a male nurse. People tend to be pretty surprised, because he's a really 'blokey' sort of a guy, very loud, very enthusiastic about football and drinking. He works ridiculously hard though - I wouldn't want to have to do the job he does. On the plus side, I've seen photos of him on a training course, and in his class he was the only guy with about 20 girls, which isn't too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest