The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fires
Aren't those kinds of things in fact very common reasons for kids of OPs background, eg, private school, posh home, etc? Eg, where can I be with the other posh kids, which college has the most parties, the hottest rich kids of the other sex, etc? Isn't that why they all gravitate together at Exeter, Bristol, Durham, Newcastle, Oxbridge?

Yes, and then breeze through life on daddy's wallet and contacts.
Reply 61
Original post by Aaron_xyz
I lived in Scotland for 3-4 years. When I added a few of my old friends there on FB (around 30), only 1 went to an English uni.

From all the leaving ceremonies I've seen in my old school, I never saw anyone going to anywhere in England, I'm not sure why :confused: I've only met one person at my new school who is considering applying to England in a year of 200+.

Original post by Fires
That kind of false insularity (partly driven doubtless by the SNP agenda) will do you no good in the long run, although I imagine it's partly down to funding issues?

I think so, there is a general consensus of "it's free, why not?", which is fair enough tbh. I just don't like that the main idea around here seems to be that Glasgow/Edinburgh/Saint Andrews are our only options for great universities.
Yeah I can definitely say that as a Scottish applicant no-one I knew had heard of English universities beyond Oxford or Cambridge in any great numbers. There was no point: entry to them required qualifications that the school didn't offer or had poor provisioning for and you'd have to pay £3,000 per year, too. There just wasn't really any point.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Weren't you the one asking which Oxford course was the easiest?

Yes, yes she was:

Original post by SoNottingH
Hi, which course of study at Oxford gives one the least effort and most time off to have fun please?

Sorry I know this question sounds lazy, but I am curious on an experimental level as to which subject to apply to that requires the least possible effort in order to obtain the much-desired Oxford degree?

- Wants to go to a 'trendy' and 'fashionable' university
- Wants to do an easy degree with the least effort so she can have time off and 'have fun'

I'm sure you have pretty much zero chance of getting into any university on these lists for any degree, OP. Purely because of your attitude, I can't imagine "Why do you want to study Classics at Oxford?" being met with "Because Oxford is just so trendy and cool and I can get a much-desired Oxford degree. Also because Classics is easy to get in to and I can put in the least amount of effort and have fun instead" :s-smilie:
Original post by rawragee
I'm a Scottish applicant too, and I can honestly tell you that many many Scottish students that I know couldn't name more than 3 English universities at best. Around where I live at least, we're actively encouraged to consider Scottish universities, and only Scottish ones. I've never been recommended to look at other universities and if someone does mention it, there's a consistent "why would you do that?". There's a general consensus here that Scottish applicants should go to Scottish unis.

I knew they were encouraged to stay in Scotland but didn't know they really didn't know about the rest of the UK. Bit mind-boggling to me, how you wouldn't know what was just on your doorstep...
I didn't know exeter has such a reputation for having lots of independant school students. We do have loads of private schools, but i suppose I didn't really notice it.
Reply 66
Original post by takethyfacehence
I knew they were encouraged to stay in Scotland but didn't know they really didn't know about the rest of the UK. Bit mind-boggling to me, how you wouldn't know what was just on your doorstep...

I think the fact that at our career/university fairs there's only ever representatives from Scottish places there. I've seen and been given prospectuses from basically all the universities in Scotland, but I've never seen any English ones. It may just be because I live up in the North and it's fairly rural, I don't know. I knew there were loads of other places out there, but I've only genuinely learnt that through here though. It may be because we already have some genuinely good universities that are central (Glasgow, Edinburgh etc) to basically everywhere that people just never think to look anywhere else?
Reply 67
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Yes, yes she was:

- Wants to go to a 'trendy' and 'fashionable' university
- Wants to do an easy degree with the least effort so she can have time off and 'have fun'

I'm sure you have pretty much zero chance of getting into any university on these lists for any degree, OP. Purely because of your attitude, I can't imagine "Why do you want to study Classics at Oxford?" being met with "Because Oxford is just so trendy and cool and I can get a much-desired Oxford degree. Also because Classics is easy to get in to and I can put in the least amount of effort and have fun instead" :s-smilie:

LOL, yeah, I'm so dim, I'm just going to go into the interview and say it just that exact way haha. "I want an easy fun time, let me in"!

I don't have time to visit every single top Uni or check out every detailed article on them and read blogs and chat with people, etc, etc, so I want to know just generally which are on the way up and which down. What's wrong with that?

Maybe some people think it all just stays the same but does it? I can imagine some Unis are climbing and others going downhill, why would they be different to businesses or products?
Reply 68
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Yes, and then breeze through life on daddy's wallet and contacts.

Yeah, we're all total total wastrels. I have literally never done a single thing that anyone would call "work" and I have no intention of ever doing anything. My Dad will always just give me loads of money when I call him and say "Daddy give me money". Yeah, right.
Reply 69
Sadly Op has it about right imo and will clearly go far in cameron's britain.
Reply 70
What about going to a University that will further your education? Like a university is MEANT to!
Reply 71
Original post by SoNottingH

Maybe some people think it all just stays the same but does it? I can imagine some Unis are climbing and others going downhill, why would they be different to businesses or products?

The marketeers who work for Unis spend huge amounts of time working on that exact problem and they do believe that there are up and down trends, the ones going down panic and go into all kinds of wierd behaviours. The ones going up try to consolidate it and kick the others whilst they are lying on the ground. That's the market.
I hate to be one of those pimps that overhypes his own uni, but my God Heriot Watt is flying up the rankings.
Original post by takethyfacehence

I can only speak or myself, but I never even gave uni in England a second though for two reasons.

1. Fees. Why pay 27 grand when you can get the same quality of degree for free back here?

2. English universities are really difficult to get in to. A typical offer at a decent Scottish uni might be AAAB at higher, whereas a comparable English institution will want ABB or BBB at Advanced higher.
Reply 74
Original post by lapples
What about going to a University that will further your education? Like a university is MEANT to!

What an astonishingly outdated opinion. Are you Scottish? :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Fires

Why yes I am :tongue:
Reply 76
call me a hipster but i think i prefer the name Stanford/Imperial over oxbridge...oh and i like the name Durham...sounds like one of those of those old school schools to me, like the ones with "Lower 1st" instead of year 6" and "upper third" instead of year 9.
Reply 77
Original post by Fires

How is that even relevant anyway?
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Fashionable? Probably Parsons or University of the Arts London or something, they're design schools after all.

Ba dum tish!
Reply 79
Original post by lapples
How is that even relevant anyway?

I was attempting a joke, not only on the visible presence of the Scottish flag in your ID but also on the traditional theme that Scotland has a better and more self-awarely-good educational system than England.

I doubt that Scotland is much on OPs horizons other than Edinburgh and St Andrews, neither of which (puzzlingly) she mentioned - and they are fave haunts of the spoiled brat classes are they not?

Latest