The Student Room Group

Tuition fee loan

Hi.

I'd just like to ask somebody when I have to apply for the tuition fee loan. It's the first time I'll be applying so I'm a bit confused about the deadline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm
This page says: "Apply now to make sure you get your money at the start of your course. The deadline for new full-time students is 31 May 2012."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_10035219
This page says: "The deadlines for 2012/13 applications are:
full-time and part-time students - up to nine months after the start of the academic year"

These two quite contradict each other. Which one is correct?

(I'm a non-UK, EU national)
Thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hardell
Hi.

I'd just like to ask somebody when I have to apply for the tuition fee loan. It's the first time I'll be applying so I'm a bit confused about the deadline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm
This page says: "Apply now to make sure you get your money at the start of your course. The deadline for new full-time students is 31 May 2012."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_10035219
This page says: "The deadlines for 2012/13 applications are:
full-time and part-time students - up to nine months after the start of the academic year"

These two quite contradict each other. Which one is correct?

Thank you.

the first deadline is the latest time you can apply to get money for the start of your course - if you don't apply before then, you'll have to come up with the £9,000 to pay uni yourself, as you won't get your student finance in time!

if you're applying for uni starting this october, you need to apply right now, this second.
As above, the first deadline is the one you need to adhere to so you can get your £9000 paid to the university.

I believe the second one is for maintenance loans- you can wait until after you get in to get that if you so wish.
Reply 3
Original post by canŵio
the first deadline is the latest time you can apply to get money for the start of your course - if you don't apply before then, you'll have to come up with the £9,000 to pay uni yourself, as you won't get your student finance in time!

if you're applying for uni starting this october, you need to apply right now, this second.

Ah ****... I am sure this note: " up to nine months after the start of the academic year" was on the site even a half a year ago and I've been sure I had more time, until now.

Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by Hardell
Ah ****... I am sure this note: " up to nine months after the start of the academic year" was on the site even a half a year ago and I've been sure I had more time, until now.

Thank you.

i don't think many people apply that late, it would be stupid!
you've got a few days, so get it done now. if you need help, phone them.
good luck!

0845 300 50 90
Reply 5
Original post by canŵio
i don't think many people apply that late, it would be stupid!
you've got a few days, so get it done now. if you need help, phone them.
good luck!

0845 300 50 90

I really didn't have time to care about the loan because of my finals.

I've just filled the application form. I'm going to have a copy of my ID certified tomorrow and hopefully, the form will be delivered before the deadline.

Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by Hardell
I really didn't have time to care about the loan because of my finals.

I've just filled the application form. I'm going to have a copy of my ID certified tomorrow and hopefully, the form will be delivered before the deadline.

Thank you.

they don't give out very much information about these things which is why so many people are in the same position as you! however ucas sent me an email in november to say that applications were opening, i don't know if you got that.
i sent my application in december!
Reply 7
Original post by canŵio
they don't give out very much information about these things which is why so many people are in the same position as you! however ucas sent me an email in november to say that applications were opening, i don't know if you got that.
i sent my application in december!

They did send me such an email, but it was on 1 May and it only included a link to the application forms.
so after the online stuff you have to send stuff off??
Original post by canŵio

You may not get it on time, not you definitely won't. Also, you won't need to find £9k yourself; the money doesn't get paid to the universities until December/January time, and in most cases even late finance is done by that point.
Reply 10
Original post by TheSownRose
You may not get it on time, not you definitely won't. Also, you won't need to find £9k yourself; the money doesn't get paid to the universities until December/January time, and in most cases even late finance is done by that point.

my sf says that the first bit of the tuition fee loan is paid on October 17th - £2250.

but yes, it is 'may' rather than 'won't'.
Reply 11
[QUOTE=Hardell;37794003

Thank you.

Can you send a paper copy of the form? Where do you get an application form from. I have 3 days to fill mine in now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending