The Student Room Group

Do old people using the bus make it less pleasurable?

Scroll to see replies

i dont mind them at all, but i feel really uncomfortable as i usually the only person under 60 on the bus and i keep feeling as though people think im lazy because i am the only young person taking the bus. It also seems rather pointless as the bus is always full of people who dont pay so i dont see how it makes any money.
Reply 21
Original post by TheSownRose
Yes, definitely. What really gets on my tits is that old people insist on filling up the bus during the evening peak hours ... which then means that people who have paid for their seats can't sit down. If we're going to have the free passes for the elderly, make them valid between 0930 and 1600, then 1900 to the end of the daily bus services. Keep the 1600 to 1900 period clear for paying passengers.

I may just live in an area where old people are particularly rude. Still pissing annoying.

So you'd be leaving little old ladies and men vulnerable by making them travel at night? Or stranded for hours just because you can't handle standing up for a few stops until another seat becomes free?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KJane
So you'd be leaving little old ladies and men vulnerable by making them travel at night? Or stranded for hours just because you can't handle standing up for a few stops until another seat becomes free?

Or they could just travel before 1600? I know enough elderly people that buy off-peak train tickets with very similar conditions, it's no different.

I actually can't handle standing up for 40 minutes (length of my journey), I have a medical condition. Unfortunately, it's not something anyone else can see.
I've never encountered any problems with elderly people on buses despite the fact that all the bus routes I use in Kent are populated with crumblies, (:teehee:)

Then again I do like to stand up on the bus minding my own business, I have no problem with giving up my seat, I prefer walking and buses aren't that expensive so I don't feel too jealous of the grey folk with their magic tickets.

I do think that free bus passes should be means tested though. Completely free bus passes for off-peak and peak time journeys should be for all pensioners under a certain limit, those over a certain limit should be entitled to an off-peak only bus pass, and the very wealthiest shouldn't get one unless needed due to disability, mobility problems, no driving licence, etc.
Reply 24
Original post by T-ros
No, the loud MP3 players , chewing gum eating teenagers with feet on the seat across and bag on the seat next to them are more annoying.

in fairness, though, some old people think its justified to put a single carrier bag filled with only toilet paper and bread on the seat next to them because its too heavy to put on their lap, even if the bus is full
not all old people though, its just the ****ing selfish minority.
Reply 25
Original post by TheSownRose
Or they could just travel before 1600? I know enough elderly people that buy off-peak train tickets with very similar conditions, it's no different.

I actually can't handle standing up for 40 minutes (length of my journey), I have a medical condition. Unfortunately, it's not something anyone else can see.

If you have this condition then aren't you also entitled to those seats as well then for a disability? Why couldn't you ask someone if they would mind standing to let you sit, as older people don't seem to be able to stand long either. If someone told me they physically couldn't stand for so long, regardless of age I wouldn't mind giving up the seat.

Tbh I think it would be a little unfair to restrict their travelling time and make them plan their entire day differently or fear travelling in the dark to free up seats when they've probably worked all their life, paid tax to provide things like NHS and can't even sit on a bus at the end of it all.
Original post by KJane
If you have this condition then aren't you also entitled to those seats as well then for a disability? Why couldn't you ask someone if they would mind standing to let you sit, as older people don't seem to be able to stand long either. If someone told me they physically couldn't stand for so long, regardless of age I wouldn't mind giving up the seat.

Tbh I think it would be a little unfair to restrict their travelling time and make them plan their entire day differently or fear travelling in the dark to free up seats when they've probably worked all their life, paid tax to provide things like NHS and can't even sit on a bus at the end of it all.

The difficulty is, a lot of people don't believe me. I look perfectly fine, and I am as long as I'm sitting down (actually not true; it does come up during long periods of sitting, but it needs a few hours) or moving around - it's only after standing still for about half an hour that the problems become apparent.

I question how many of them really need to be travelling during the evening peak period. It could be tested - make it free off-peak and then even half price during peak. See how many travel during peak hours then.
It's a bus. It's not about pleasure, it's about getting somewhere.

Also, First World Problems thread.
Reply 28
Is this for real?

I would like to think if my grandmother was on a bus, somebody would give up their seat for her. If an elderly person comes on the bus I always offer my seat if there are no others. I'm young, I can stand, it is respect and common courtesy.

And as for people saying about them travelling at peak hours, they can travel when and to where they like. They paid taxes all their life, and you would begrudge them travelling at peak times because it is a slight inconvenience to you? Seriously, grow up.
Reply 29
Not necessarily old people. I see where you're coming from, but I'd say it was RUDE people who make using the bus less pleasurable (not that it's particularly pleasurable anyway). A lot of old people seem to think they have the right to push in the queue etc, but as do many teenagers and middle-aged people and people of all other ages!
Original post by Otkem
I think having to travel with old people makes using my local bus such an unpleasurable experience. You can bet your life that come the stroke of 9:30am, the bus will fill up with concessionary fares. They always expect you to give up your seat, even though I pay £550 a year for my bus pass. Do you find that when the free bus pass comes into effect that travel becomes a worse experience (also from an olfactory perspective) for commuters. I really don't mind the bus being busy at 8am, because it's busy with workers.

The elderly actually make buses more expensive.

At least, they do in County Durham. The council subsidises concessionary passes for all over 60s. The passes give free travel after 9am. However, the council only pays the bus company 90p per journey.

That means the bus company would normally get say, £1.50 for a journey but now they're only getting 90p.

Where do they make that money up?

You :smile:
One time a few years ago, this elderly person phoned my house thinking it was the number for the bus service. What he proceeded to do was have a full on rant about the state of the buses and how he always falls over on them (because he neglects to hold onto the bars when he's moving on the bus and it's stopping), and then told me to do something about it.

Other than that, I don't think an elderly person using the bus has ever been a nuisance to me.
Reply 32
Original post by aliasunknown
i dont mind them at all, but i feel really uncomfortable as i usually the only person under 60 on the bus and i keep feeling as though people think im lazy because i am the only young person taking the bus. It also seems rather pointless as the bus is always full of people who dont pay so i dont see how it makes any money.

I can sympathise with this! My area is full of retirement homes and is at the top of a steep hill, therefore the bus up from town is mainly full of elderly people. Most times I'm the only person under 65 on the bus, and I can sense the tension as I walk up the steps and buy a ticket.
A lot of the time though, the old ladies just end up engaging me in conversations about their garden/their grandchildren/my face/the time they met Boy George in a YMCA in Bournemouth...

In my area, the bus companies claim the concessionary fares they've issued back from the council that issued the bus pass, etc. So, profits are not an issue for the bus companies.
I don't find elderly a trouble at all in buses. What does annoy me, is people eating fried chicken in bus, cohorts of loud people, that sometimes hit windows and yell with all lungs to some mate of theirs, just to get his attention. Also when people stand next to driver even though whole second deck is half empty with seats.
Reply 34
No. Teenagers are far worse. And perverts...don't forget the perverts.

I hope no one gives up their seat for you when you're old, you daft bastard. :colonhash:
Reply 35
Yes, quite right.

When OAP's are present on the bus the urge I get to touch myself halves instantly.
I never find traveling on the bus particularly pleasurable, but I find rude people who won't accept that if you're carrying a rucksack and 2 massive bags, and there is nowhere to sit on the bus, then you're going to have to stand in the aisle, and then shove me out of the way when they want to get off much much worse.
Reply 37
I don't mind old people on the actual bus and would give up a seat for them. I also always let an older person go in front of me in the line, but it's really annoying when they just push to the front and expect to get on first.

I agree with everyone saying about people playing music on the bus, theres nothing worse than getting a 7:30 am bus and forgetting your headphones and having nothing to block everyone else out :tongue:

Also annoys me when people sit their bags on the inside seat and sit on the outside taking up 2 seats :mad:
Reply 38
Don't sit at the front of the bus and you won't have to move. It's not brain surgery.
Reply 39
I begrudgingly offer my seat to an elderly person, even though a large part of me feels it's completely unfair. However I find women coming on with prams, taking up heaps of space, far more irritating. And because their pram takes up 3 seat spaces, they somehow think they're entitled to have a seat for themselves. Grinds my ****ing gears. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending