The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think Hazard is out of our reach now tbh. I think we should be going for Gotze as he seems like the most realistic signing out of the two, but even he seems way out of reach.
I would love if we got Podolski, Gotze and Vertonghen... but I doubt we will:frown:
Original post by Abiraleft
I'd forgotten as well. :woo:

It doesn't seem to be on TV (live), though. It's on immediately after the game ends; I'm half-tempted to shut out football news before that and then watch the replay immediately after. I've never done it before (usually just go on bbc.co.uk) but have heard of other people doing it; might try it out. Has anyone else on here done something similar? :beard:

i tried but failed miserably (i lasted 6 minutes).

the arsenal player commentary is good so i just listen to that now.
If any of you lot are interested in the potential crumblefest of tomorrow night:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1868965
Reply 63
Original post by jilebinator
hazard will go to madrid.

we had about £40 mill at the start of the last transfer window, add all the sales, we should have somewhere in the region of £80 mill, for jan,

Original post by Abbadon27
We are never going to spend the £43 million it would take to get Hazard.

I know. So sad too. I doubt Hazard will get as much game time for Madrid, unless they sell Ozil.
Original post by bakefrancis
Rose tinted view. It's really not as simple as arsenal fans think. Who knows why we didn't sign mata, but theres the possibility seeing as an interview Mata gave after signing for chelsea tells Torres told him that signing for anyone but chelsea would be a waste. So Torres could of just told him, he'll win nothing unless he's at united city or chelsea, and he'd make bank at chelsea, not arsenal.

We can't just rock up and say, heres the 40mil, give us the player. Hazard reads the football results, and knows the crap media about us. He probably thinks we're on the way down. Who knows if he wants to carry a team or just be a passenger in an world class team.

Yes I know I took a simplistic view, but at the start of the season, Arsenal were title contenders (especially with Nasri not having been sold yet). I doubt Mata made his decision solely based on Torres telling him he'd win nothing at any of the big three. Money also probably played a big role.

I think the summer transfer window just showed how different football has become. You can't just rest your laurels on building up a team from scratch to win trophies, in the current footballing climate you need to also spend money, big money at that too, to win trophies. Nasri and Fabregas leaving hurt me a lot and no doubt hurt Wenger even more. Had they stayed, they were the leading prospects at Arsenal, and the players Wenger had nurtured from ground up and our points tally would probably be a lot higher. It also begs the question: Why nurture and spend so much time on talent if they'll eventually leave after only a few seasons of no overall team success? I mean Arsenal is 07/08 nearly had the title in their grasp, just a few more signings would have made us a force to be dealt with the next season. It seems many footballers aren't willing to spend a lot of time with a team to get success and instead require instant success. Flamini left, Hleb left, Adebayor left, Nasri left, Fabregas left, Clichy left and portentially Van Persie too. All players that had they stayed, we could have become genuine premier league title contenders for many seasons.

I've been impressed with Gervinho, and Arteta has been good (Albeit a bit inconsistent). Gervinho could become as good as Nasri if he learns how to improve a few areas of his game, but we cannot kid ourselves; Arteta is no Fabregas.

I think defensively, after the atrocious start, we have settled down a bit and look pretty solid with Kos and Verm. Mertesacker is also improving game by game and could become a very good defender, this is without any recognised full backs too!!

I think this winter we need to address three key areas: the midfield, a back up striker for Van Persie (In case he gets injured) and a good full back.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ultimate1
I know. So sad too. I doubt Hazard will get as much game time for Madrid, unless they sell Ozil.

Yes I know I took a simplistic view, but at the start of the season, Arsenal were title contenders (especially with Nasri not having been sold yet). I doubt Mata made his decision solely based on Torres telling him he'd win nothing at any of the big three. Money also probably played a big role.

I think the summer transfer window just showed how different football is. You can't just rest your laurels on building up a team from scratch to win trophies, in the current footballing climate you need to also spend money, big money at that too, to win trophies. Nasri and Fabregas leaving hurt me a lot and no doubt hurt Wenger even more. Had they stayed, they were the leading prospects at Arsenal, and the players Wenger had nurtured from ground up and our points tally would probably be a lot higher. It also begs the question: Why nurture and spend so much time on talent if they'll eventually leave after only a few seasons of no overall team success? I mean Arsenal is 07/08 nearly had the title in their grasp, just a few more signings would have made us a force to be dealt with the next season. It seems many footballers aren't willing to spend a lot of time with a team to get success and instead require instant success. Flamini left, Hleb left, Adebayor left, Nasri left, Fabregas left, Clichy left and portentially Van Persie too. All players that had they stayed, we could have become genuine premier league title contenders for many seasons.

Gervinho needs to up his game a bit and practice his finishing and he'll be great. It's not just torres who would tell them. Cesc was expected to leave the team. Mata may have wanted a mate in the team to ease the transition. Theres a million reasons etc, and probably better ones than i have suggested. Either way, the kinds of players arsenal fans want, would not come. And the arsenal fans that complain about wage structures and not spending 100mil every 2 years on transfers need to get a grip and take a reality check.

What we need are some solid decent players to have wenger cast his spell on them and make them the best. You can't build a team from youth at the moment. But we can bring through a few good ones and develop 20 something year olds.
wenger has an eye for unearthing talent. lets see what he can get.
Reply 66
Gervinho needs to up his game a bit and practice his finishing and he'll be great. It's not just torres who would tell them. Cesc was expected to leave the team. Mata may have wanted a mate in the team to ease the transition. Theres a million reasons etc, and probably better ones than i have suggested. Either way, the kinds of players arsenal fans want, would not come. And the arsenal fans that complain about wage structures and not spending 100mil every 2 years on transfers need to get a grip and take a reality check.

What we need are some solid decent players to have wenger cast his spell on them and make them the best. You can't build a team from youth at the moment. But we can bring through a few good ones and develop 20 something year olds.

Yeah true, I know there are a million points. I too certainly do not want Arsenal to spend millions and I agree that there should be a wage structure in place to make sure we do not give players a lot of money. I agree with everything Arsenal are doing in regards to money, I just want one 'big' signing to be made, but I understand that in terms of chances of potential money to be acquired and silverware to be had is probably bigger at City, Madrid, Barca etc.

Yes this is what I want too. This is the process he started circa 2005 (Well with much younger players), but like I said, a lot of players these days are impatient and really, once they reach they peak and see no reward instantly, leave for a 'bigger' club. This year the target is to reach the top 4, and hopefully we can.

I've always been proud of the Arsenal way, and hopefully this way will continue.
Reply 67
i tried but failed miserably (i lasted 6 minutes).

the arsenal player commentary is good so i just listen to that now.

You need to be a member to actually listen to it though, don't you?
You need to be a member to actually listen to it though, don't you?

yeah, you need to have red membership or higher.
does anyone know the line up for this match?

diaby has an impressive record against aston villa. COME ON YOU DIABY!!
does anyone know the line up for this match?

diaby has an impressive record against aston villa. COME ON YOU DIABY!!

Isn't Diaby injured again?
Reply 71
Diaby is still injured, I believe.

I would imagine the team will be:

Szczesny
Koscielny Mertesacker Miquel Vermaelen
Arteta Coquelin
Walcott Ramsey Gervinho
van Persie
Reply 72
Diaby is still injured, I believe.

I would imagine the team will be:

Szczesny
Koscielny Mertesacker Miquel Vermaelen
Arteta Coquelin
Walcott Ramsey Gervinho
van Persie

Yes this probably would be the team. Normally I wouldn't have Arteta playing in a holding role, but since Coquelin is inexperienced, it is perhaps better to have an experienced player alongside.

I've always been proud of the Arsenal way, and hopefully this way will continue.

Our problem seems to stem from impatient players at the moment, I agree. Nasri could have stuck around another two years I'd have thought and still gotten a huge contract from the money clubs. Cesc does not count in this situation I think. Even now, Coquelin is complaining about first team opportunities, when he's 20/21. He's a good player, I think he could be class, but he's trying to get a spot off song/arteta/ramsey....

Sounds deluded to me.
Reply 74
Our problem seems to stem from impatient players at the moment, I agree. Nasri could have stuck around another two years I'd have thought and still gotten a huge contract from the money clubs. Cesc does not count in this situation I think. Even now, Coquelin is complaining about first team opportunities, when he's 20/21. He's a good player, I think he could be class, but he's trying to get a spot off song/arteta/ramsey....

Sounds deluded to me.

Yeah I agree. Although at first Nasri's departure puzzled me, and it probably was a risk for him too, after seeing the way we started, I reckon for him it wasn't a bad decision, since Man City look favourites to win the league. But had he stayed, we could have been challenging too, so you never know.

I agree Cesc doesn't count. I think he was extremely loyal to Arsenal throughout the time he stayed. He had many oppurtunities before leaving to go Barca, but he didn't. Props to him for that.

Yes that is deluded I suppose given the way Ramsey and Arteta have been playing and how good Song has been defensively and attacking wise.

I just had a thought, but most of the good players who leave Arsenal, don't seem to have a great career afterwards tbh. Look at Hleb, Flamini, Adebayor, Henry. Although it's too quick to judge at the moment even Nasri isn't having the best of times at City. Fabregas started off very well at Barca, but I've seen Barca play and and Fabregas hasn't been very outstanding of late, and I've seen their fans complaining about how Cesc slows down the whole team in the midfield.
Yeah I agree. Although at first Nasri's departure puzzled me, and it probably was a risk for him too, after seeing the way we started, I reckon for him it wasn't a bad decision, since Man City look favourites to win the league. But had he stayed, we could have been challenging too, so you never know.

I agree Cesc doesn't count. I think he was extremely loyal to Arsenal throughout the time he stayed. He had many oppurtunities before leaving to go Barca, but he didn't. Props to him for that.

Yes that is deluded I suppose given the way Ramsey and Arteta have been playing and how good Song has been defensively and attacking wise.

I just had a thought, but most of the good players who leave Arsenal, don't seem to have a great career afterwards tbh. Look at Hleb, Flamini, Adebayor, Henry. Although it's too quick to judge at the moment even Nasri isn't having the best of times at City. Fabregas started off very well at Barca, but I've seen Barca play and and Fabregas hasn't been very outstanding of late, and I've seen their fans complaining about how Cesc slows down the whole team in the midfield.

Nasri's decision can hold up for going for trophies. The pathetic thing, is that he still spends most of his time on the bench. Seriously, yeah you get paid a fortune, but for a player who had just kicked started his development properly, to go sit on the bench is idiotic.

It's not just those players either. Theres a few others that have left under wenger run and done nothing with themselves. Adebayor is the biggest irritation though. It's obvious he has talent, considering how well he's doing for spurs. His attitude was always **** but he's the kind of striker arsenal would kill for as back up to RVP right now.
Arsenal: Szczesny, Coquelin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Frimpong, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho, Van Persie.

Subs: Almunia, Squillaci, Benayoun, Arshavin, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chamakh.

Coquelin at RB?
Arsenal: Szczesny, Coquelin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Frimpong, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho, Van Persie.
Aston Villa: Guzan, Hutton, Dunne, Cuellar, Warnock; Petrov, Clark, Ireland; Albrighton, N’Zogbia, Agbonlahor
hmmmmmm coquelin as a right-back...he can play there, lets see how he fares

and apparently Arsenal have named 21 DIFFERENT starting back four combinations in their 28 matches so far this season -_-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
I remember watching Coquelin play ar RB against Stoke in the F.A cup 1 and a half years ago? I can't remember. He didn't do too badly.
Reply 79
Are we really getting Henry on loan ?

Latest