The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thedral
Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do about student finance? I have a conditional offer to transfer directly into the second year (current first year). Should I make an application as a returning student for my current uni and inform SFE of a change in circumstances if/when I get my grades in June, or make a new application for the new institution? Or should I wait until I get my results in June before applying?
I'd apply now as a continuing student; if your place at the new uni is confirmed you can notify SFE of the change then.
Hey guys, im currently in my first year at uni but will be leaving at the end of this year to take a year off. I dont like my course or uni, plus im not sure what i wanna do anymore so wont be transferring. However i wanted to know when i apply for a course again will they take into account my grade from my first year at this uni and will it help me get in? thanks
Original post by elleswalker
Hey guys, im currently in my first year at uni but will be leaving at the end of this year to take a year off. I dont like my course or uni, plus im not sure what i wanna do anymore so wont be transferring. However i wanted to know when i apply for a course again will they take into account my grade from my first year at this uni and will it help me get in? thanks

It's impossible to answer this - every single course at every single university will have their own policy on what counts for transfer applicants. A good performance won't harm your application in any way but how much it counts will depend on the similarity between what you're doing now and what you want to do in the future.
So I'm just wondering if there's a decent chance that I'll be able to transfer unis after I've completed my foundation year for History. I applied for 2016 entry and got offers from 4/5 places but Durham rejected me, which was my first choice, so I've firmed Sheffield and I know I'd be happy to do my 4 years there but I did have my heart set on Durham and it is probably one of the best places to study History in the country.

Knowing Durham has a wide-ranging and established Foundation Centre I'm hoping they'd be open to the idea of allowing me to transfer if I show I'm capable of achieving whilst I'm at Sheffield. I've emailed to ask about this and for some feedback on why my application was rejected (assuming it was my rushed personal statement that I wrote in one night and re-drafted only once without any input from a teacher). I'm really hoping that I'm not just deluding myself.

I've found previous threads about transferring after a foundation year but they all seem to be about science-based degrees. Hoping somebody has some advice or experiences to share with me about this.
I've received a conditional offer from the university I want to go to for first year entry (I'm currently a first year at a different uni).

How do I go about telling my current uni of the transfer and when should I say it?

I'd also like to say that if I don't meet the requirements of the offer I'd probably want to stick with it at this uni even though I don't like it here so is there a way I could inform them and still keep my place if things don't work out?
Original post by J'zargo
I've received a conditional offer from the university I want to go to for first year entry (I'm currently a first year at a different uni).

How do I go about telling my current uni of the transfer and when should I say it?

I'd also like to say that if I don't meet the requirements of the offer I'd probably want to stick with it at this uni even though I don't like it here so is there a way I could inform them and still keep my place if things don't work out?
If your offer is conditional, you should wait until it is confirmed before formally withdrawing from your current course - there will be a specific procedure for doing this. If you don't meet your offer, you don't withdraw, and you carry on where you are.

PS - it would be courteous to let whoever wrote your reference know that you have a conditional offer,but that doesn't commit you to leaving.
Original post by Minerva
What do you mean when you talk about a Foundation year?

A year of more general introductions to the wider humanities and help with essay writing and maths and stuff. I have to do it because my A Levels weren't enough for normal entry.
Reply 2507
Is it impossible to transfer to a different university when you left it too late to apply through ucas?
Original post by Caelus
A year of more general introductions to the wider humanities and help with essay writing and maths and stuff. I have to do it because my A Levels weren't enough for normal entry.
In that case, only Durham can tell you whether they would consider you for year one entry to the regular course, having completed this year at Sheffield. You need that feedback on your application and why they rejected you this time round, but I can't say it sounds hugely hopeful :frown:

Original post by ZDZ
Is it impossible to transfer to a different university when you left it too late to apply through ucas?
It is not in principle too late to submit a UCAS application - the January 15th deadline is for guaranteed equal consideration for applicants applying for year one entry. Many unis continue to accept new applications after January 15th.. However, you need to check with the uni concerned whether they have a deadline for considering transfer applications.
Do I need to inform my uni that I'm transferring in September to a different institution and do I need to arrange transferring credits with them or will my new university contact them and do it themselves when I enrol properly in summer?
Original post by Petulia
Do I need to inform my uni that I'm transferring in September to a different institution and do I need to arrange transferring credits with them or will my new university contact them and do it themselves when I enrol properly in summer?

I'd recommend letting someone know, rather than not turning up for lectures anymore and having your lecturer think you died or something mate
Original post by fefssdf
I'd recommend letting someone know, rather than not turning up for lectures anymore and having your lecturer think you died or something mate

Don't universities make you enrol again every year in the summer just before September though? I thought if I just don't go to the enrolment then they'll know I've left but I'm not sure if I still need to tell them and I don't even know if my university make students enrol again every year
Original post by Petulia
Don't universities make you enrol again every year in the summer just before September though? I thought if I just don't go to the enrolment then they'll know I've left but I'm not sure if I still need to tell them and I don't even know if my university make students enrol again every year
As a matter of courtesy, if nothing else, of course you should let them know in writing that you are leaving! As soon as you have an unconditional offer, you should formally withdraw from your current course (there is probably some paperwork to complete; your course admin team can tell you), and you will also need to notify SFE of your change of uni. Simply failing to enrol at one uni while you enrol at another (and it is an annual requirement everywhere, AFAIK) will cause huge confusion and probably delay any loans being paid to you.
Hi all,

Finished my first year at BCU and now they've (finally) given me my reference I'm hoping to send off an application for my desired unis. All have replied to my emails telling me to do it through the UCAS application. What do I put under education in regards to my first year?

Thanks.
Original post by adamsmith52
Hi all,

Finished my first year at BCU and now they've (finally) given me my reference I'm hoping to send off an application for my desired unis. All have replied to my emails telling me to do it through the UCAS application. What do I put under education in regards to my first year?

Thanks.

There's an example in my sig for how to include university credits on UCAS
Original post by PQ
There's an example in my sig for how to include university credits on UCAS

Haha sorry to be a noob but what is a sig? I can't find any examples.
Original post by adamsmith52
Haha sorry to be a noob but what is a sig? I can't find any examples.

It's visible if you click the little arrow at the foot of PQ's post

and it takes you to
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338
hi guys i want to trasnfer year 2 into a uni and my a levels are BBD but the uni have said even if i achieve a high 2.1 they will not consider me if i dont get AAB, but they thing is this particular university accepts bbc for clearing for first year. So i dont understand why they are being a bit strict. Should i still call them up after i get my uni results or just leave it?
Can I transfer To a Australian University For MEng After Doing BEng In a UK university??

hello everyone im a engineering student studying Beng mechatronics 3years in a uk university after Beng can i apply to a australian university for Meng can anyone please provide me some help that would be great :smile:
Original post by harindu123
Can I transfer To a Australian University For MEng After Doing BEng In a UK university??

hello everyone im a engineering student studying Beng mechatronics 3years in a uk university after Beng can i apply to a australian university for Meng can anyone please provide me some help that would be great :smile:

You wouldn't "transfer" , but you would be applying for an MSc as a normal postgraduate.

Actually I just googled and it looks like they do have a standalone MEng to top-up your BEng (like the MSc would be in the UK). But it's not a transfer. You still have to apply as a graduate.

You really need to contact universities in Australia. This forum is mostly about applications to UK universities...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending