The Student Room Group

Warwick, UCL or Durham :(?

Having difficulties in choosing between these three because of the following reasons:

1.Warwick has the best reputation in Maths among them. I love how flexible the course is and the talks held on the open day is absolutely amazing, I love the MATHS department, BUT I don't really like the campus because when I went there, I felt so weird, it was a weekday and an open day, but it wasn't lively at all...I do hope I miss something, if I do, please tell me what I saw is not the truth.

2.Durham is lovely, both the city and the uni. The flexibility, reputation of the maths course are in between UCL and Warwick. I like the traditional thing about Durham, like the collegiate system, but they haven't got as much theatres and galleries in Durham.

3.The Maths department in UCL is relatively small compare to the other two, the course is not as flexible too and the reputation in maths is not that high, so in short, the academic side seems to be not as good as the other two, but it is situated in CENTRAL LONDON and I have an interest in doing arts, so the location is really attractive! It was lively and students there seem to be much happier... I don't why I would have this impression, but yes, it seems that it would be fun to study in UCL!

I just wonder does it really make a big difference if I graduate from one of those three uni? Any advice? or if you are currently studying in one of those three, how do you like you course?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by COJL
Having difficulties in choosing between these three because of the following reasons:

1.Warwick has the best reputation in Maths among them. I love how flexible the course is and the talks held on the open day is absolutely amazing, I love the MATHS department, BUT I don't really like the campus because when I went there, I felt so weird, it was a weekday and an open day, but it wasn't lively at all...I do hope I miss something, if I do, please tell me what I saw is not the truth.

2.Durham is lovely, both the city and the uni. The flexibility, reputation of the maths course are in between UCL and Warwick. I like the traditional thing about Durham, like the collegiate system, but they haven't got as much theatres and galleries in Durham.

3.The Maths department in UCL is relatively small compare to the other two, the course is not as flexible too and the reputation in maths is not that high, so in short, the academic side seems to be not as good as the other two, but it is situated in CENTRAL LONDON and I have an interest in doing arts, so the location is really attractive! It was lively and students there seem to be much happier... I don't why I would have this impression, but yes, it seems that it would be fun to study in UCL!

I just wonder does it really make a big difference if I graduate from one of those three uni? Any advice? or if you are currently studying in one of those three, how do you like you course?

Thanks a lot!

I think its Easter holidays, so that might be the reason for the lack of activity in the Warwick campus.
Reply 2
They are all top academic institutions, so it wouldn't make much difference where you go. In this case, pick the university that feels right.
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum
I think its Easter holidays, so that might be the reason for the lack of activity in the Warwick campus.

I hope this is true but it's feb when I went there. :frown:
Reply 4
Just go with your guy instinct. I doubt anyone is going to snub a UCL or Durham grad even though Warwick is ranking higher for your subject.

P.S. I went to Warwick a few weeks ago and LOVED it. The central campus is a bit of a concrete jungle but there are lakes and fields a bit further out. Also, if you're into Arts then the Arts Centre is incredible! Award winning drama societies too (or perhaps you meant specifically fine art rather than performance!). But really, Warwick is one of those places. It's either for you or it isn't. Although if I could pick up the campus and put it in London I would!
Reply 5
Is the UCL maths department that small? I've checked their staff list but I don't have a great sense of these things.
Reply 6
Original post by Julii92
Is the UCL maths department that small? I've checked their staff list but I don't have a great sense of these things.

~200 first year undergrads.

Quick Reply

Latest