The Student Room Group

Year abroad finances (non-Erasmus)

I've done some googling, but I can't seem to find any credible information about this. For my degree I'm allowed to study in Montreal, Canada for a couple of terms but I'm unsure on what funding I'll get.

Do you still get government grants and loans? Also, is the loan higher than normal? I'm going through Student Finance Wales and there's literally nada on their website...
Reply 1
Original post by Gales
I've done some googling, but I can't seem to find any credible information about this. For my degree I'm allowed to study in Montreal, Canada for a couple of terms but I'm unsure on what funding I'll get.

Do you still get government grants and loans? Also, is the loan higher than normal? I'm going through Student Finance Wales and there's literally nada on their website...

Hey. :smile:

You'll still get your maintence loan and, if you're eligible, maintenance grant (or Assembly Learning Grant or whatever the hell it's called in Wales) on your year abroad, yeah. I can't find a link, but it's a question that's been asked loads at uni visit days I've been to, and they've all said that you still get your living cost support like you would if you were studying in the UK that year. I don't know if the loan is higher than normal, though, but hopefully someone knows the answer. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Liam6993
Hey. :smile:

You'll still get your maintence loan and, if you're eligible, maintenance grant (or Assembly Learning Grant or whatever the hell it's called in Wales) on your year abroad, yeah. I can't find a link, but it's a question that's been asked loads at uni visit days I've been to, and they've all said that you still get your living cost support like you would if you were studying in the UK that year. I don't know if the loan is higher than normal, though, but hopefully someone knows the answer. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thank you! It sure does, I emailed the Welsh Government about the grant actually, and they told me I wouldn't get it. The lady at the Government referred to my year abroad as a 'sandwich year' though, which I'm sure it's not as I'd still be studying full time. Anyway, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Gales
Thank you! It sure does, I emailed the Welsh Government about the grant actually, and they told me I wouldn't get it. The lady at the Government referred to my year abroad as a 'sandwich year' though, which I'm sure it's not as I'd still be studying full time. Anyway, thank you :biggrin:

Aww, shame. Is it just the grant you don't get, or do you not get the loan either? :/

Are you planning to spend your whole year abroad outside the EU, or just the French bit? Because I think we still get an Erasmus grant even if we're only spending part of our year abroad in the EU. I could be wrong, though.
Reply 4
Aww, shame. Is it just the grant you don't get, or do you not get the loan either? :/

Are you planning to spend your whole year abroad outside the EU, or just the French bit? Because I think we still get an Erasmus grant even if we're only spending part of our year abroad in the EU. I could be wrong, though.

I don't know, I think she completely misunderstood what I was asking. My degree isn't even classed as having a sandwich year...

Just the French bit, I don't fancy Mexico or Argentina. :tongue:

Perhaps I'll try emailing them again :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Gales
I don't know, I think she completely misunderstood what I was asking. My degree isn't even classed as having a sandwich year...

Just the French bit, I don't fancy Mexico or Argentina. :tongue:

Perhaps I'll try emailing them again :smile:

Well, she was helpful, wasn't she? :P

So you decided against changing French to Russian, then? Or am I mixing up TSR members? Haha.
Reply 6
Well, she was helpful, wasn't she? :P

So you decided against changing French to Russian, then? Or am I mixing up TSR members? Haha.

Haha, no, you have the right person! Yeah I did, I looked into it a little bit more and realised it wasn't for me at all, I mean me, in Russia? Come on haha. I think I was going through a bit of a love-hate relationship with French at the time because my teacher was being a complete bitch grilling me this degree level grammar, and I started to fret. :tongue:

Btw, congrats on Nottingham! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Gales
Haha, no, you have the right person! Yeah I did, I looked into it a little bit more and realised it wasn't for me at all, I mean me, in Russia? Come on haha. I think I was going through a bit of a love-hate relationship with French at the time because my teacher was being a complete bitch grilling me this degree level grammar, and I started to fret. :tongue:

Btw, congrats on Nottingham! :biggrin:

Hehe, why wouldn't you fit in in Russia? :tongue: I'm sure your teacher was only doing what a teacher should, and stretching you. :wink: You'll probably be better off for it.

And thank you! :biggrin: Really worried I'm not gonna get my grades, though...

Quick Reply

Latest