The Student Room Group

Int 2 maths question?

Hey everyone! Good luck with all your exams! I just finished a Non-Calc paper and got full marks except from one little question I have no idea how to do!

Evalulate - 16 3/4

I thought it would be 12 since 16 divided by 4 x 3 = 12 ... but the answer is 8?

Thanks!
Reply 1
What's the question? 3/4 of 16 is 12 but what you have posted isn't really a question it's more a statement.
Reply 2
Original post by roar558
What's the question? 3/4 of 16 is 12 but what you have posted isn't really a question it's more a statement.

The question is

Evaluate 16 3/4

^^^^^^^^^^

But I am confused as I would think it to be 12 but the answer is 8!

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by itsc0ntagious
The question is

Evaluate 16 3/4

^^^^^^^^^^

But I am confused as I would think it to be 12 but the answer is 8!

Thanks!

That doesn't sound like a complete question, the answer to that question would be 16 3/4. Are you sure there isn't anything more to it?
Reply 4
Original post by roar558
That doesn't sound like a complete question, the answer to that question would be 16 3/4. Are you sure there isn't anything more to it?

Nope! If you have the 2006 Non Calc paper handy it's that year!
Any chance you could post a photo or scan of the question? There must be something we're missing. I can't see any way to get 8 from that.
Reply 6
The answer would be 8 if the question were evaluate 163/416^{3/4}. Have you wrote or read the question wrong?
Reply 7
Reply 8
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Any chance you could post a photo or scan of the question? There must be something we're missing. I can't see any way to get 8 from that.

Sure .. sorry the webcam on my laptop reverses things but if you can't make it out, it is Evaluate 16 3/4 and the answer (Q9) is 8

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by rosie9391
The answer would be 8 if the question were evaluate 163/416^{3/4}. Have you wrote or read the question wrong?

Can you please explain why! thank you!
For what it's worth, you normally use the caret symbol or two stars to indicate exponentiation: a^b or a**b.
Can you please explain why! thank you!

amn=amn=anma^{\frac{m}{n}} = \sqrt[n]{a^m} = \sqrt[n]{a}^m

Put the power inside or outside the square root, whichever is easier for evaluation.
Reply 12
Original post by TheUnbeliever
amn=amn=anma^{\frac{m}{n}} = \sqrt[n]{a^m} = \sqrt[n]{a}^m

Put the power inside or outside the square root, whichever is easier for evaluation.

Everybody makes mistakes! Thank you!
Reply 13
The answer is 8, as firstly you do 16 ^ 1/4 which is 2, then you cube it which is 8. 16 ^ 3/4 is the same as [16 ^ (1/4)]^3
Reply 14
Int 2 is easy. Done it last year while doing standard grade and got an A. You'll be fine.
Reply 15
Original post by Sami'
Int 2 is easy. Done it last year while doing standard grade and got an A. You'll be fine.

well done! can i just ask, how does

2_/18 simplify to 6_/2 ???
well done! can i just ask, how does

2_/18 simplify to 6_/2 ???

218=292=622\sqrt{18} = 2\sqrt{9}\sqrt{2} = 6\sqrt{2}

(ab=ab\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b})
Anyone got todays solutions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending