The Student Room Group

Maths and Economics Degree

I am in year 12, and have to choose what I'll carry on with next year. I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and German. I want to drop German as I really don't like it, it takes way too much work and feel that it could be detrimental to maths and further maths which are obviously the most important ones. In the frees that I get from dropping German, I would be doing STEP revision and maybe try to teach myself bits and pieces of AS Economics.

Do you think that just maths, further maths and chemistry are enough for a maths and economics degree? I get the feeling that the range of subjects could be too narrow for Maths and Economics.

Thanks.:biggrin:
Yeah that's fine. More preferable to straight maths but maths + econ is very doable. If you apply for LSE though make sure you go for the 75% math 25% econ, or I wouldn't bother. :smile:
Reply 2
lots of universities don't require economics at a level to study it at degree

for more info have a look here
Reply 3
Original post by hassi94
Yeah that's fine. More preferable to straight maths but maths + econ is very doable. If you apply for LSE though make sure you go for the 75% math 25% econ, or I wouldn't bother. :smile:

Thanks, I'm not looking at LSE because my GCSE's aren't fantastic. I'm looking at Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield. So slightly less competitive than LSE, however I still could change my mind over the summer on what degree I want to do.:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by hassi94

Not neccesarily...there are people on this forum who have offers from maths & econ at LSE and pure maths at Cam doing AS levels in Maths, F. Maths, Biology and Geography. Where as you could have people with a PS tailored to maths and econ, with AS further maths, physics and econ, who do not receive an offer. So the subjects you do not limit you too much.

Are you planning on applying to LSE?
Original post by twig
Not neccesarily...there are people on this forum who have offers from maths & econ at LSE and pure maths at Cam doing AS levels in Maths, F. Maths, Biology and Geography. Where as you could have people with a PS tailored to maths and econ, with AS further maths, physics and econ, who do not receive an offer. So the subjects you do not limit you too much.

Yes I know, but there are three types of maths + econ at LSE. Maths with Econ which is 75/25 split respectively. Maths + econ which is 50/50. There is also Econ with Maths which is 75/25 split respectively.

If you don't take economics, it would be quite a hard job getting into the latter - however it is doable. The first one would be the easiest to get in (on average), with the middling one still being quite doable but not as easy as you have mentioned.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hassi94
Yes I know, but there are three types of maths + econ at LSE. Maths with Econ which is 75/25 split respectively. Maths + econ which is 50/50. There is also Econ with Maths which is 75/25 split respectively.

If you don't take economics, it would be quite a hard job getting into the latter - however it is doable. The first one would be the easiest to get in (on average), with the middling one still being quite doable but not as easy as you have mentioned.

AFAIK, I don't think LSE does a econ with maths course (link?). But i may be wrong. Anyway, I agree with the above. I may also decide to apply for maths w econ, although no confirmations yet. How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by twig

Nope, I'm not planning on applying to LSE at all. The ones I'm looking at are slightly further up the thread.:smile:

The biggest problem I have is that I think Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry may be too narrow a range of subjects for maths and economics, as there is no essay subject at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by twig
AFAIK, I don't think LSE does a econ with maths course (link?). But i may be wrong. Anyway, I agree with the above. I may also decide to apply for maths w econ, although no confirmations yet. How about you?

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/mathematicsAndEconomics/overview_and_features.aspx
Reply 9
Original post by Roscosmos
I am in year 12, and have to choose what I'll carry on with next year. I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and German. I want to drop German as I really don't like it, it takes way too much work and feel that it could be detrimental to maths and further maths which are obviously the most important ones. In the frees that I get from dropping German, I would be doing STEP revision and maybe try to teach myself bits and pieces of AS Economics.

Do you think that just maths, further maths and chemistry are enough for a maths and economics degree? I get the feeling that the range of subjects could be too narrow for Maths and Economics.

Thanks.:biggrin:

It is definitely do-able but your going to need a damn good personal statement on economics. F.M will defo help with the statistics part of economics, and as for future you might be better placed than other economics graduates; maths is crucial for accountancy, banking and most other economics areas.
Good luck
Reply 10

That's maths And/WITH econ, not econ with maths which is what I was wondering about...
Original post by twig

Sorry I was under the impression they were introducing it for 2012 (from what current students had told me). I am/they are obviously mistaken. Sorry about that.

That does kind of make my initial post almost pointless - so sorry for wasting time with that.

I am considering it but I'm not too sure. I have wanted to do a straight maths course but I'm starting to get more interested in economics - though I don't do it at A-level.
Reply 12
Original post by hassi94
Sorry I was under the impression they were introducing it for 2012 (from what current students had told me). I am/they are obviously mistaken. Sorry about that.

That does kind of make my initial post almost pointless - so sorry for wasting time with that.

I am considering it but I'm not too sure. I have wanted to do a straight maths course but I'm starting to get more interested in economics - though I don't do it at A-level.

Very similar here; also, I think many mistake associating economics will "lead" certain careers, such as banking. Truth is that as long as you attend a "target" uni, doing maths can only benefit your application.
Original post by twig
Very similar here; also, I think many mistake associating economics will "lead" certain careers, such as banking. Truth is that as long as you attend a "target" uni, doing maths can only benefit your application.

Yes you're right there. I have looked into Banking extensively and understand being at a target uni matters much more than degree subject. And when the subject is taken into consideration, maths is just as good if not better than economics. Honestly I just love maths so I think I'd be happiest doing a straight maths course.
Original post by twig

Oh exciting! That's me! :tongue:

I think that your subject combination is fine even without an essay writing subject, I know for just straight Economics they may prefer you to have one, but at Warwick I know Maths and Economics admissions is done by the Maths department, so basically as long as your predicted grades are high enough you're guarenteed the standard offer (something I didn't realise when I was applying!).

If you really are in doubt then go ahead and email the universities you're planning to apply to :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Exactly the same as me but i'm doing geography instead of chemistry.
I did not do economics as it clashes with f.maths, so now i am unsure whether i will like economics.

Quick Reply

Latest